main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I watched Moulin Rouge last night... and enjoyed it. Am I insane?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Sticks, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I even missed Elijah Wood present at the AFI awards.

But maaaaaaaan, can Ewan sing...

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Not at all. I saw it too. I'm not big on musicals, but I liked this one.

3. Sticks

Jan 27, 2001
    It was definitely a Baz Luhrman film. And only Ewan would be in something so... strange...

Mmmmmm... Ewan... :D

4. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    Yes. even I'm not insane enough to watch that.

5. Sticks

Jan 27, 2001
    I was really ticked about missing the Elijah part of the AFIs. *sigh*

But the movie was okay... not worth missing 'Lij over, but okay.

6. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    not at all. it's an amazing movie. :)

7. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    You are not crazy, I loved it too!

I went and saw it in theatres and walked out of there saying that (Besides star wars) that it was one of the best movies that I've ever seen.

I didn't take alot of it seriously but I still like it alot.

I still can't see why Nicole Kidman got some much credit for that movie when it was Ewan that really made the movie for me with his great singing voice ;)

8. Lady_Jedi26

Lady_Jedi26 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    i guess i must be insane for not really enjoying moulin rouge i love musicals always have but me and my husband both just couldnt get into this movie as far as we made it into it was 40 minutes and we both said enough of this and gave up maybe it got better after that im not sure i was so psyched to see it but was a bit disappointed

im not trying to be mean by saying what i did
    so im hoping i didnt offend anyone. I hope most people enjoyed it
    i mean if someone can tell me how it went after those 40 minutes i think it just moved a bit fast for me to keep up is what most of the problem was

9. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    I went and saw it in theatres and walked out of there saying that (Besides star wars) that it was one of the best movies that I've ever seen.

Absolutely! I went in expecting to hate it and was incredibly surprised. Came right out, bought the soundtrack and made several of my friends and my girflfriend go see it. :)

I still can't see why Nicole Kidman got some much credit for that movie when it was Ewan that really made the movie for me with his great singing voice

Also right! Nicole didn't come anywhere Ewan's level. He made that movie great.

10. Kici

Kici Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    You're not insane. It's a fun movie that may grab a few more Oscar nods than people think. Ewan's quite magnetic in it; I can understand why you were distracted away from Elijah. It's a simple question of....oh my..... ;)

[image=http://ewanspotting.com/film/moulin/moulin11.jpg]

The man was gorgeous, and yes, he can sing. I enjoyed Nicole Kidman in it a great deal, but it was Ewan's film.

11. Dorian

Dorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 1999
    No, you are not insane. Moulin Rouge! was a fantastic film. Personally, I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than Lord of the Rings. Yes, Ewan was quite the masculine vision. However, I thought Nicole added every bit as much to the film as he did.

12. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I liked it very much. I found it striking it was better received in Europe than in the US.

Go like Pearl Harbor and Titanic, Yanks!

13. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    Moulin Rouge is one of the best movies to come out last year.

I loved it and now own it on DVD.

14. Karoline

Karoline Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 2001
    I hate musicals. I hate them!!

But I LOOOOOOOVE Moulin Rouge!! Man can Ewan sing, man does he look fabulous, and man- can he act!!!!!

Why are all the newspapers giving the attentation to Nicole?? Ewan was great!
    *drools*

15. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I don't like musicals at all, but I enjoyed Moulin Rouge.

Sexy Ewan... :)

Damn, he's married.

Damn, so am I.

Damn, I just remembered I have a crush on Hayden...

OK, it's been real, but I think it's my bedtime. :p

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Singing in the Rain is cool too.

17. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    Yes. You are insane. Sorry.

18. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    i mean if someone can tell me how it went after those 40 minutes i think it just moved a bit fast for me to keep up is what most of the problem was

At the beginning the movie is very confusing and fast paced, and it really doesn't seem to have much of a plot. But once you get past the Spectacular Spectacular improvisation, things get much better. I love the beginning too because it's just so...strange, but it's kind of like putting mayonaisse on a hamburger, it's nice but you're not there for the mayo.

19. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    For me, it was the best film of 2001. I hope it gets many oscar nominations ans I hope Ewan and Nicole sing Come What May at the ceremony.

Nicole got so much attention because

a. most reviewers are male

b. she looked absolutely gorgeous. Ewan did too (although I didn't care for the hat) but Nicole was totally breathtaking

20. Exiled

Exiled Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2001
    I was some what dissapointed with it myself. Ewan was very good but Kidman still can't act or maybe I just dislike her too much. My main problem with the flick was that it wasn't tragic enough. By the end it did little more than tug at my heart instead of break it. Not a good thing for a movie that is meant to be a tragedy.

21. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

That was my *exact* reaction. I LOVED this movie. Definitely my top pick for 2001.

I thought Nicole was simply spectacular (spectacular) in this movie. But of course, being a female with a pulse, I was most taken with Ewan. Good god, that boy has never looked or sounded better! I dunno, many might say that Satine got a bum deal, but think about it...she got to have a brief, but hot, fling with a guy who looked like Ewan McGregor, and who'd sing her songs like "Come What May" as foreplay. I think she did all right!! :D

22. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    the insane ones are the people who didn't like it ;)

23. Sticks

Jan 27, 2001
    I think most of the reason that Nicole got all the attention was that Tom "Big Fat Jerk" Cruise separated from her around the end of filming...

24. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Ewan was absolutely fantastic in Moulin Rouge! His emotions are so tangible, you just want to hug him! (Who doesn't? ;)) I think he's a great actor, and I wish that he could've gotten more credit!

25. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    "I still can't see why Nicole Kidman got some much credit for that movie when it was Ewan that really made the movie for me with his great singing voice"

What's with all the Nicole bashing in here?

I mean, I can't think of any actress that could have pulled off her role, just as no actor could have pulled off Ewan's. She was great in it. Just like Baz said, 'she's a little Gretta, a little Marolin, and a little Madonna'
    'A handful of fireworks' :D
    She deserves just as many props as Ewan.

The whole cast were great, all hilarious, all great, silly, yet somehow very real charactors.

This is one of the bravest films I can think of. And Baz pulled it off. A lot of people just shut it off because it was abstract and just shut the film out. They call it 'utter crap' and walked out. That's BS. It's weird by design, but everything's done for a reason.

I find it brilliant that Baz was able to really put us in the mind of Christian as he relived his experiance as he wrote it all down.

The begining is insanly fast and odd. Like a Warner Bros. cartoon. It's designed to keep upping the speed and craziness to mad velocity. To the point you think you're going to pop. :D Then everything quiet's down as Nicole enters. When the plot is going on it's serious, and realistic.

I think I've heard it best described as a tone poem of what happened to the young poet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.