main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I watched Moulin Rouge last night... and enjoyed it. Am I insane?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Sticks, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    I adored and loved and adored(again!) Moulin Rouge. It had everything and I thought pulled it off brilliantly. The funny parts were funny and the tragic parts were tragic.

Nicole was great, really wonderful and I loved her in it. I do think Ewan had a slighly more difficult role. It is incredibly hard to play that kind of role and come off as masculine and intelligent instead of wimpy and stupid. I wanted so much for the world to be the way he believed it could be so I could understand how everyone else was so attracted to the character, that "Orphean" quality of everyone wanting to follow Christian's "song".

2. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I absolutely loved it. I walked in as a Ewan McGregor fan excited to see an interesting flick. It totally swept me up.

I loved the beginning unlike a lot of people... the whole manic vibe really fit the intense feel of the movie! Nothing was toned down... it was intensely musical, intensely vibrant, intensely funny, intensely zany, intensely triumphant, intensely sad, and... Ewan stole the show as everyone said. As he once said, "it makes you feel." It's not some watered-down piece of hollywood fluff... it's cinematic art.

3. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    I also went in as a Ewan fan, then I realised it was by the same guy that did Romeo and Juliet, and heard part of Come What May.

I was actually surprised that I started getting excited to see it.

I loved the begining. Had a smile on my face the whole time.

The only thing I don't love about the film is the people that did Lady Marmaluade.
    Grrr....hate them all. The song was nothing but a lot of real life modern day courtizan's trying to out voice roll each other. *shudders*

It also turned a lot of people off from seeing it.

Man, after I saw the film I was so hyped I couldn't even go to sleep that night. Which is good, gave the madness that is Moulin Rouge a chance to sink in. ;)

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    My third favorite movie yet also my favorite movie in a lot of ways. Strange, but true.

5. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Sticks,
    If you're insane, then so am I! I saw MR 12 times in the theater and I wish it could have been more. There is always something new to find in the film. Maybe if they have a big win at the Oscars, it will be re-released.

Ewan and Nicole are both incredible in my book. They have marvelous voices. But, I wouldn't hold my breath for a live performance. First, "Come What May" is not eligible for an Oscar, and second, both Ewan and Nicole made a pact not to perform the songs anywhere. We can dream, though, right?

Regards,
    M.

6. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
    12 time? :eek:

You might be insane.....

It already was rereleased in some of the big cities.

7. crazy_blonde

crazy_blonde Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2001
    MOULIN ROUGE=mY FaVoRiTe MoVie,I am a Moulin Rouge junkie,I bought the dvd,soundtrack,shirt,book and i am still looking for more!!!!!!!!!!!I watch it everyday..but today was the first time I watched it in a WHOLE week!Im so proud ;)

8. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    I was expecting my boyfriend to hate it, but he LOVED it! We both did -- but now he's a bigger fan than I am! I was totally surprised.

:)

9. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I bought the DVD... I watch it every day! I loved the beginning! It was sooo funny! The whole movie was hilarious... Well, except for the end... :(

10. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
    Alright, alright, calm down girls. ;)

There's a book?.....What's the point? :p

11. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Great film! I was worried I wouldn't like it as much while purchasing the dvd, but after watching the first few minutes, that feeling completely disappeared...

btw, there's over a dozen hidden bits on the dvd set...

12. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    The only thing that lost it's flare was the opening curtain scene. Just didn't feel as real on a small screen :/

13. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    That's true...it had me worried my friends who hadn't see it would be turned off by that opening.

Thankfully, once it got into the heart of the story, that wasn't the case :)

14. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
    Yeah, even widescreen and DVD isn't quite enough for this film.

It really needs to be seen in the theator. With a non-stupid audience. ;) (hard to come by)

Saw it in the theator 4 times.

15. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Only got to see it once on the big screen. Will make an effort to catch it in rerelease...

Another reminder of how rich this film is, is the fact that the dvd comes with an optimizer to help you view and hear the film in the best possible (albeit small-screen) way...

16. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Crazy_Blonde....I'm just as much a junkie as you. I bought everything I could get my hands on as well!

I think Nicole got way too much recognition as the lead when Ewan was just as good (actually much better).

17. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
    She was billed as the lead because she's more well known and was in it from the begining.

Slightly annoying, but that's the way it is.

I think Ewan is becoming more recognised in the main stream though.

I think Nicole has really matured as an actress, and did incredable in Moulin Rouge. Sure, Ewan outshines her, but by no means does he leave her in the dust.

Hmm, I seem to have missed out on all the Moulin Rouge merchandise. [face_plain]

I don't remember any, just the film itself and the soundtrack. [face_plain]

Second soundtrack coming out anytime soon????

18. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I heard the second soundtrack was due out in February but who knows. I don't think its official.

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I really don't like that movie at all; it put me to sleep the first time I watched it.

20. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I love that movie. One of my all time favorites. Can't get enough of it.

21. Kici

Kici Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    Are you insane?

Not according to the Golden Globe selection committee for best picture--musical/comedy. :D

22. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    omg i that movie was exhilerating. the beginning was a bit weird, but i liked the fast-paced, out of control type of feel it had. wonderful. fab! omg soooo great. ugh i cant get enough of it. the only word i can use to describe it is artistic. i am so bad with words, but that is what was screaming out to me the whole time: ART!

23. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    It would work GREAT on a Broadway stage!!!

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.