main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation I will bet SW7 does not come out in 2015.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by UK Sullustian, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It will come out in 2015. They have announced it as part of the deal. Would be a bit embarrassing for Disney if it wasn’t ready for that year. Lucas is like James Cameron. He takes his time for no reason. No film, even big ones, needs a whole three years to bring to life. Or more, in Cameron's case. One and a half to two years is more than adequate. Let's say the film is coming out in the summer of 2015. That's basically just over two and a half years. Also, who knows how long Episode 7 has been in development for. My guess would be quite a long time. Hidalgo found out in June, and it was clearly in development quite a while before that. A writer is more than likely already starting work on the script, and a director will probably be hired by early next year (round about March, I'm guessing).

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. If they were completely and totally starting from square one. they would simply that that another trilogy is coming eventually. The fact they've pinned themselves to a specific year, says to me that they've been in the preparation phase for a while.

KED12345 likes this.
  3. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    It is cause some people take the word "last" to mean last year, not the last august to come. Not sure why but its like if I said Next friday, some take that as the upcoming friday some say its the one after the frist friday cause it will be NEXT one to come, not the first one. lol

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    You'd be shocked how quickly a script can be produced. Even one that's actually really good.

5. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I would be astonished if they didn't have a writer and/or director on board, at least in negotiations or on an informal basis. It's either not set in stone enough to be announceable, or they didn't want to traumatize us with too much news at once.

yodasbum likes this.
  6. Kalontas

Kalontas Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2012
    When I heard that date I did think it's a bit close call considering what I remember about prequel filming and production dates from my childhood. I expect it in 2016, but will not be TOO surprised if it does come in 2015.

7. BowtiesAreCool

BowtiesAreCool Jedi Padawan

Nov 2, 2012
    Part of the deal with Disney was the treatment George had written for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX. They said they're excited about it and them meeting with writers simply means they're bringing in new talent to flesh it out and make it their own. Lucas wrote a treatment, not a script. It's probably not that detailed except for the basic story and maybe a few specific scenes.

This new film has probably been in some sort of development for the better part of a year. They probably just wanted to be secretive about until the deal with Disney was announced.

yodasbum likes this.
  8. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    What I really want to know is, to what extent is the Disney deal tied up with the sequel movies? I mean, would they have still done movies with Fox, or did Disney add new movies as part of the conditions for the sale, or what?

9. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Rumors suggest that work has gone on for up to two years. I would think a lot of the action sequences are already pre-vised. They must have director and principal cast lined up at the very least. The last two and current box office champions- Titanic and Avatar winter releases. I would hope that VII is 25th May release but they may release it in the winter. If they film next year March to Julyish that still gives them the best part of 2 yrs post production. I would imagine that there will be more delegation and George wont be giving approval on every design/decision.

I would also bet that they get the script team working on VIII and IX whilst filing is going on.

10. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Unless they move Avengers 2 from their May slot in 2015, I don't see the May release of Ep VII. X-mas is more likely.

Beaker416 likes this.
  11. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    yodasbum: I'm not sure where you're getting the above idea, because nothing we know actually corroborates it in the least. Lucasfilm employee Pablo Hidalgo was only told about plans for the Sequel Trilogy being made on June 29th of this year (2012), with Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher being told about it by George personally in August of this year. Furthermore, Kathleen Kennedy specifically said that they were only just meeting with writers to discuss where the story could go.

Even having said all of that, though, Kennedy knows what it takes to produce movies, especially big blockbuster movies, so, even if it doesn't seem like less than 3 years is enough time to produce a full-fledged Star Wars movie, believe me when I tell you that Kennedy feels otherwise. If she weren't, the 2015 target date wouldn't have been announced. It's as simple as that.

12. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    2015 is no problem. The only reason we have not seen the live action TV series yet is because they were waiting on new technology. They wanted to get the production budget of each episode down to 1 Million. The world has moved on significantly since the PT and the CG scenes don't take near as long to execute and render. Late 2015 maybe but there's no doubt it's possible to deliver a good product by then. Ye gods, the computers and CG they would have made TPM with are long since obsolete so there is no comparison there in terms of production time.

13. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004

14. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    I could see Disney to wait to release this over the July 4th Holiday to get quality mileage out of Avengers 2 as far as the Box Office goes, or like Natalie mentioned, even bumping it to a Christmas release if needs be.

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm not confident for a summer tentpole release with Avengers already in the May slot but I could see a Thanksgiving or Christmas release working out for them.

16. Ben H.

Ben H. Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Disney has more resources to bring into the project. They may not need as much time, but they do need to begin filming by late 2013.

17. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Depending on how quickly things come together, the possibility exists that they could set a late 2015 release date for SW E7 and the 'flip' that date with the May 1 release date for The Avengers 2, thus preserving the 'May release date' tradition of the SW franchise and property.

18. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know where all the faith in Kathleen Kennedy and Disney comes from. Movies get delayed all of the time. It's not some uncommon or unheard of thing that would be particularly embarrassing if it happened. Kathleen Kennedy has produced all of the JP films and yet Jurassic Park 4 is stuck in development hell despite allegedly being only a couple years away... for like the past five years. Scripts were written, they were discarded, writers were let go and new ones hired, and from the sounds of it they're still probing around for ideas for that film. It happens. Scripts get written, they turn out to not be any good, they get re-written and re-written, films get delayed.

From the sound of it, they don't even have a script yet. They're just probing around for ideas. Anything can happen.

19. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    For the record... when AotC and RotS were made... they didn't have the scripts finished until Early spring the following year after the previous movie was released. AS the scripts were being finished, they started location scouting... and started the initial casting.

From the sounds of it they have a pretty solid treatment already. Turning it into a script won't take but a few months, during which time they will be doing location scouting and initial casting. That means next summer they will already be filming. This is ultimately the same schedule for the last of the two prequels.

So YES, the movie will be out in 2015. Likely with it's standard May release.

20. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    You've all come in this thread and disagreed... But who is willing to bet?

I'm putting up an original 1983 Nein Numb - Loose, no gun.

Who's willing to match that?

UKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.