main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I will do what I must"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Benny_Blanco, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    Just occured to me - another link between PT films, and another indication of QG`s influence on Obi-Wan - this is the same line Qui-Gon uses in TPM that Obi says to Anakin just before their fight!

Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

2. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    When does Qui-Gon say this?

3. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002
    He says it to Obi in TPM when (as I recall) Obi is warning him not to go against the council`s wishes.

4. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Obi-Wan: Do not defy the council Master, not again

Qui-Gon: I shall do what I must, Obi-Wan

5. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

So, does this show Qui-Gons influence, or just coincidence?

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It's just coincidence.

7. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

I don`t think so, I think it was GL`s way of showing QG`s "attitude" had rubbed off on Obi.

8. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I'm sure Obi-Wan's line in ROTS is meant to mirror Qui-Gon's, he grows into the Qui-Gon role (its like Anakin in AOTC claiming he is ready for the trials, just as Obi-Wan does as a padawan in TPM).

9. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

I can`t believe I never thought about this before.

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Benny, since we're talking about Qui Gon/Obi Wan and Obi Wan/Anakin, don't overlook this piece of visual symbolism:

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/0Cryogenic0/rots_01.jpg]

Notice the slight imbalance in the relationships - Qui Gon is putting his hand on Obi Wan's shoulder to reassure him whilst Obi Wan fails to do the same with Anakin. Qui Gon thinks outside of the Council's dogma and has complete faith in the Living Force; Obi Wan sits on the Council and does their bidding. This is a crucial difference that helps inform Anakin's downfall. Notice also the reversal of Mentor/Student positions: Qui Gon and Anakin are both situated on the left of frame; unifying their defiant and autonomous personas. Perhaps this helps explain why Obi Wan is not physically offering the warm hand of reassurance. How can Obi Wan quell the passions of a young man who he's giving orders to? I love all the visual tension in this visual mirror.

In fact, if memory serves, Obi Wan DOES offer the hand of reassurance later on - but it's too late by that juncture. But maybe that's my memory playing tricks. One thing that Obi Wan does later do is to tell Anakin he's a great Jedi, even greater than himself. This is something Qui Gon did when he told Obi Wan he was "a much wiser man" than he. Unfortunately, Anakin needed to hear all this sooner - not when he felt he was being patronised and talked down to.

In my opinion, this is a much more complex and multi-layered saga than most people give Lucas credit for. Hope you're enjoying the ride. :)

11. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Nice observation Cryogenic, I forgot about that.

Good Stuff

12. IBO-NAW-NAYAS

IBO-NAW-NAYAS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    I think the actual line I will do what I must was just a coincidence but I do think that alot of Qui-Gon's personality has been rubed of on Obi-Wan I cant say the same about the Obi-Wan/Anakin relationship and now i see why thanks to Cryogenic

13. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Well I don't really think that Anakin and QUi-Gon standing on the left side has anything to do with it, but the "reassuring hand" goes really deep. Yes, Obi-Wan and Ankin love each other, but did you guys notice that in AOTC Anakin referred to Obi-Wan as "the closest thing he has to a father." And then Obi-Wan exclaims that he loved him and that he was his brother. That just shows that Anakin had matured and grown up so much and Obi-Wan can no longer make his decisions for him. And their relationship was not as strong. I think Qui-Gon always thought of Obi-wan as a son and Obi-Wan thought him as a father.

14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I like the mirror of the two scenes,nicely done.

Keep in mind,Darth Vader also says ''I will do what I must'' in ROTJ.

15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    He does??? :eek: I thought he said something like, "I must serve my master". That's totally different.

Anyway, I forgot to credit my source of that picture. It originally comes from T'bone's Star Wars Universe.

anakin_luver, that's an interesting take on the two relationships. Considering parentage is a very overt theme in the Star Wars saga, it makes a great deal of sense to look at the characters in that way. When that scene takes place in TPM, Obi Wan seems to be humbly conceding to Qui Gon's autonomy - even though the hand-on-shoulder move doesn't help him understand it any better. Qui Gon is being Qui Gon and the "son" Obi Wan respects his "father" enough to know to drop it. But it's a little different in RotS. Anakin is conflicted, defiant, argumentative - he pushes and pushes Obi Wan until he ruefully says that "the Council is asking" and that, as they say, is that.

16. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    It's a sort of coincidence that I wrote a post in the Saga talking about Qui Gon as the father of both Obi Wan and Anakin, and now I find this topic. http://boards.theforce.net/The_Star_Wars_Saga/b10456/21570370/?19

Yes, I think it's surely influence!

As me, Qui Gon had a great influence on the whole saga, because of his connection with the two main characters, Anakin and Obi Wan.

17. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Thanks Cryogenic...

But I have to disagree with the whole Qui-Gon being a father to both Anakin and Obi-Wan theory[^^] Anakin had barely gotten to know the guy before he died, and he obviously didn't think about him on daily basis. Obi-Wan was his mentor and his friend, as far as I'm concerned, Obi-Wan was the only male companion Anakin had.

18. Family_Guy

Family_Guy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2005
    Well if you've watched the CW cartoons, you will see that Anakin still has a deep connection to Qui Gon, as shown by the dream sequence

19. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    Yes, and yes.

20. Nemasdia

Nemasdia Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2005
    I belive that obi wan mirrors qui gon very well. in The Phantom Menace you can tell that they have a very strong friendship and obi wan does follow alot of what qui gon thinks, even theire fighting stances are the same, and im talking about how in tpm qui gon doesnt fight with his lightsaber constantly, instaed he opens up and uses melle attacks also, and we can see that obi wan does in rots.

p.s. mace windu is still the best jedi

21. brelth

brelth Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    can we clarify when vader said this in ROTJ? you may be right, but i just can't think of when this happened...

22. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.