main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

" I wish that were so"- Qui-Gon's Loss

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Mr_Sith, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    I TPM when the group is in Anakin's Hovel and Ani says: "No one can kill a Jedi" and Qui replies with: "I wish that were so" he says it like he had a loss. Like he lost a Jedi friend. Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Well, if you want to listen about stuff from the Jedi Apprentice series, the story of a young Obi-Wan under Qui-Gon's tutelage, than Qui-Gon did lose someone. The woman he loved, her name was Tahl, was killed. So in a way, that remark could have been reflecting on that, that Tahl, a Jedi, was killed. :( :D

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    He may be sensing his own impending doom. (Foreshadowing!)

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. Jedi_Master_Chewie

Jedi_Master_Chewie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2003
    Qui-Gon could even be referring to the supposed death of syfo-dias which should be very recent according to various aotc dialogue

5. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    As Adam points out it could be foreshadowing.

But its more that he knows from experience that Jedi do die.

Off-topic a little, I don't like the whole Qui-Gon - Tahl thing, Jedi aren't meant to love, and Anakin is supposed to be the only Jedi to break that rule. But anyway....

6. young_padme

young_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2002
    I always felt it was a bit of foreshadowing, which made it one of my favorite lines. The second time I watched TPM, I got goosebumps during that line, because of the foreshadowing factor. :)

7. Tiniwiel_Skywalker

Tiniwiel_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2002
    Same,I always saw it as foreshadowing!

8. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    I never saw it as foreshadowing I thought that maybe he lost an old Padawan or Master.

9. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    I just think that qui-gon through his long life and experience, has seen many jedi die, thats why. Or he could have known about Anakin's fate!!! [face_shocked]

10. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Anakin asked him a question and he gave him a solid answer that Jedi are not invincible as many, many of the common people may believe throughout the galaxy. Jedi are prone to triumph as well as demise.

11. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    He said "I wish that were so" Qui Gon was trying to find a way to stop people from dying. He did it too.

Qui-Gon wished that all Jedi were immortal.

12. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Like other people said, I always thought of it as foreshadowing, but there was a part in a cannon book which showed Qui-Gon losing someone.

13. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Agree with P_J_K

14. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, the kid who's asking Qui-gon is going to grow to hunt down and destroy the Jedi, so it's probably just irony. That and it was originally Obi-wan; so the future Darth Vader was telling Obi-wan Kenobi that nothing can kill a Jedi.

15. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I just took it as a comment born out by hard experience, similiar to Obi-Wan's "Dreams pass in time" line from Clones.

16. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    ...similiar to Obi-Wan's "Dreams pass in time" line from Clones.

Ok, this is slightly off topic since it's about AOTC, but Durwood's comment just made me think....

I wonder if perhaps Obi-Wan's "dreams pass in time" comment was made out of experience -- that Obi-Wan had a series of bad dreams about Qui-Gon in the weeks after Qui-Gon's death.

I must say, thank you Durwood, you've brought deeper meaning to a line I had only heard before as a snotty comment from Obi-Wan. It makes him seem like less of an ass in AOTC to me, now.

17. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    That line of Obi-wan's about the dream made me think too, it sounded kinda like...cheap advice. Anakin was confiding in his master, and in return, he gets a fortune cookie response instead of actual guidance. "Dreams will pass with time." Ani's been dreaming for ten years, how much more time does the poor schmuck need?

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    He said "I wish that were so" Qui Gon was trying to find a way to stop people from dying. He did it too.

Qui-Gon wished that all Jedi were immortal. /quote

That's quite clever. Possibly even correct, IMO.

19. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Hmmm... I wonder if Yoda hearing Qui Gon's voice while in some kind of trance could be interpreted as a "dream"...

20. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000

Off-topic a little, I don't like the whole Qui-Gon - Tahl thing, Jedi aren't meant to love, and Anakin is supposed to be the only Jedi to break that rule. But anyway....[hr][/b][/blockquote]Actually, a slight refinement of that might be:

Jedi *can* love (per Anakin's dialogue in AOTC), but they're more or less forbidden from forming familial bonds without the express permission of the Jedi order ([i]i.e.[/i], Ki-Adi-Mundi). You could see Qui-Gon also starting to form an attachment with Shmi prior to his departure, which goes along with this, in a fashion.

21. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    "That line of Obi-wan's about the dream made me think too, it sounded kinda like...cheap advice. Anakin was confiding in his master, and in return, he gets a fortune cookie response instead of actual guidance. "Dreams will pass with time." Ani's been dreaming for ten years, how much more time does the poor schmuck need? "

Actually he had been only having the dreams recently. From the time his mother was taken he started having the dreams, and as we found out from the Lars, Shmi had been gone for a couple weeks.

22. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I think this is one of the most poignant moments of TPM, and perhaps the entire saga.

The music, Qui-Gon's sad expression and tone and Anakin's naivetie (sp?) really make it a key moment in the storytelling aspect of the saga.

If Anakin/Vader does end up killing Jedi on-screen, this scene will become even more emotional.

23. Daemonicus

Daemonicus Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2003
    I also believe it was a reference of sorts to his former love, the blind Jedi Tahl, who was murdered by Balog

24. jEdI_kEnObI80

jEdI_kEnObI80 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2003
    Yeah, but Qui-Gon couldn't possibly have said "I wish that were so" because he lost Tahl...in George's script. Remember, the JA books that include Tahl/Qui-Gon love stuff are written AFTER the movie. In fact, they were written quite recently, maybe just a year or two. Besides, George didn't think of Qui-Gon as someone who will fall in love with someone else. He only made Qui-Gon's character a pretty arrogant type of person. It was Jude Watson who had developed the Qui-Gon/Tahl love thing.

25. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    An I'm sure that no one in the Lucas company told George Lucas about Jude Watson's book :p GL is probably totally blind about the books people write about his characters. He is just happy that the books are making money :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.