main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD I would like to discuss Lord of the Rings.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Jul 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    A few days ago I knew nothing (literally) about LOTR and decided to start reading the books. I have currenty Finished Book one of The Fellowship of the Ring.
    I am enjoying it so far although all that has happened is a journey across land.
    I had almost had high hopes of the movie but am no longer sure as I don't know if I want to sit through and hour and a half of wandering through forest, singing and the occasional apprearance of a Dark Rider.

If you've read the books do you think I have a reasonable point or do you think i'm being premature and should continue reading on saving my judgments for later.

BTW: No Spoilers if that can be helped :)

2. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Heh. Well I can tell you now, that there's a hell of a lot of book to be squeezed into a 2 hour movie. Take all the *essential* bits of FotR and add them up:

Birthday Party
    Dark Riders
    Inn at Bree
    Weathertop
    Fords of Bruinen

(that's just the first book).

etc.

So you can pretty much rule out most of the hobbits traipsing all over the Shire.

The other thing is the movie has 2 books to draw inspiration from (you haven't got to half of the good bits yet!).

Come back when you've finished a bit more. I can tell you for certain which characters have made it into the film, which haven't and which are getting a slightly more expanded role than their current one. :)

3. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Alrighty, have to give me a couple of days, the words are small and many to a page :)

Do you think Peter Jackson is the right person to have LOTR in the palms of his hands, I know he's a Kiwi and therefore I should support 100%, but what hang has he done that's any good and worthy of an epic story?

4. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    Meet the Feebles of course! :D

He's a huge LotR fan, so I have no doubt he'll treat it with the utmost respect.

5. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    From what I've seen so far I would say he is doing a excellent job. It looks great on so many levels, and tell you what they are but you said no spoilers.

6. Killer Ewok

Killer Ewok Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 1999
    I usually recommend skipping to the Council of Elrond. FOTR is a long, uneventful part of the story. But that's just my opinion.

7. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I've just finished the Elrond Council meeting, there's a fair bit of info in there.

Just found out that the NZ premiere of the movie will be in Wellington (December), about 10mins walk down the road from me.
    It will be in the old Embassy theatre where Peter Jackson is right now overseeing the reconstruction of the theatre.

8. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Well that's lucky.

9. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Well I've just finished Fellowship of the Rings and have to say the second half was a lot better than the first and I actually really enjoyed it.
    It's pretty much my first Fantasy book (if that is it's genre) i've never been interested in that sort of thing. I liked the way Tolkien has written it, the language and descriptive writing. Also the shear magnatude of the story and it's characters that span hundreds of centuries.

You can spoil me all you want with FotR stuff now Grieyls.

10. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    They showed the new trailer on the news tonight. It looks very cool and I was extremely impressed. I can't wait for the movie now!!

11. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I've forgotten what I was going to say, too excited in anticipation of the movie.

12. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I know my nipples are hard!

13. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Then get a far way away from me.

14. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    meet the ken feebles? really?

15. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Yes, really!

16. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    The movie FotR actually goes a little bit into the The Two Towers. So you'll have to read a tiny bit more. :D

17. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah i've just started reading that and I wondered if they were going to go on a bit.

I just found out yesterday that my former flatmate is in the movie, he's one of the head dudes in the council of Elrond. I mean I knew he was in the movie just not how big the part was.

18. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Well, something else to look forward too for you now isn't it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.