I would smack Anakin upside the head if i was Obi-Wan!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Mm, more knowledge of human behavior than speculation. He had no other reason not to bolster his padawan's confidence or reward him for his achievements, unless you'd like to suggest he was jealous of him? I don't think that's exactly true. He was entirely too frustrated with Anakin's impatience to be jealous of him. It was clearly a case of negative focus on Obi's part. Even Yoda and Mace have to remind Obi that he's not dealing with an ordinary student, and that perhaps even he might be suffering with a bit of arrogance. He believes he can force Anakin to behave by reprimanding and pointing out the negatives without an equal distribution of praise, and that he is entirely correct in this procedure. That's also why Palpatine's praise is readily consumed by Anakin and Obi's reprimands are answered with a dull, robot-like, "Yes, Master," "Yes, Master," "Yes, Master."

Obi is by - the - book, which is good. Anakin is creative and improvisational, which is also good. Combined they'd make an awesome jedi, but you can't have everything. ;)
  2. Knight_Mical Jedi Knight

star 1
    EU, not AU, and it's just a suggestion. I think it's an interesting point-Anakin DOES seem to see being a Jedi as a way to impress others, and be competitive, rather than about the Jedi approach as a whole.

Eu Au, it's all irrelevant. I agree he does seem to want to be a JedI for all the wrong reasons, but to imply that Obi-Wan has the same problem is ludicrous. It not only is unsupported by what we see in the movie, it's quite the opposite. The problem with relying on EU/AU to support your arguments is your basically taking an individuals's opinion on a character and using it as proof. Jude Watson?s opinion has less to do with what's in the movies than mine does, at least I stick to the facts seen and extrapolate from the movies, she's making up stories and writing her characters to support that plot.

Anakin was clearly a few too many steps ahead of Obi in force skill and it was frustrating the heck outta both of them. It's like a high school science teacher trying to teach the structure of an atom to a child genius who understood particle physics when he was 5.

Oh my, someone's trying to get the Obi-Wan lovers mad. However, how do you come to this conclusion from what we see in the movie. I think the movies show that Anakin thinks he's beyond Obi-Wan in skill and knowledge, but it's not shown to be true. In fact, his constant failure shows that he's probably below par as far as maturity and control with most padawans his age. Insubordination, going awol, falling into a romance, killing etc... aren't exactly signs of being a good Jedi or a particularly strong one.

Obi kept insisting Anakin learn the other important traits of a jedi: obedience and patience, but Obi's seeming inepitude in the force by comparison to Anakin's, serves only to make Anakin all the more impatient and disillusioned. Anakin's arrogance about those skills and over confidence are what leads to his downfall, but his skills in the force are actually stronger than Obi's. This is clear many times in the film and is reiterated by Anakin, not just in an attempt to complain about the unfairness of his life as a jedi or his teacher, but as a foreshadowing that he is indeed more powerful in the force.

Ineptitude? (now I know your baiting) Again, where do you get where Anakin's power is greater than Obi-Wan's. It's not in the movies. I agree Anakin thinks it's true and says it, but this doesn't make it true. In fact as I said before, George goes out of his way to show us how inept Anakin is and how very little power he has at this stage of his training. The foreshadowing that's being shown is how he will have to go to the dark side to gain the power which he thinks he deserves.

[/i] To make matters worse, Obi was missing crucial opportunities to bolster healthy confidence in his student, incorrectly assuming this would add to Anakin's arrogance, causing an emotional gap that Palpatine was more than happy to fill. This frustrated Anakin even more because he was positive he was excelling in force skills as a jedi and yet, if you heard it from Obi's perspective,Obi keeps getting upstaged by his own apprentice, and not just in situations like the argument in Padme's apartment, but in force skills. He thinks fast on his feet. He's the first into Padme's room and slays both the worms before Obi even realizes what's going on. free falls to land precisely on Zam's vehicle as it sweeps by several stories below. His timing is impeccable. How do you deal with a student like that? Obviously, it's not an easy job. While Obi has learned to be an all around excellent jedi and tries to teach Anakin the same, Anakin was already on the fast track, a track on which he excelled as a jedi in every way except emotional stability. A recipe for disaster that Obi Wan could not avert and actually made worse with all his belly-aching.[/i]

This is such an April Fool's joke. Belly aching? Are we watching the same movies? Obi-Wan is the one with the beard, Anakin is the clean shaven one with the attitude. LOL.

Yes, Anakin has such
  3. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    No, not trying to bait anyone. This is how I've viewed the situation since I saw AotC, originally. Regarding your comments:

Insubordination, going awol, falling into a romance, killing etc... aren't exactly signs of being a good Jedi or a particularly strong one.

If you'll notice, I said he was ahead of him in FORCE skill, not jedi skills. In fact, I reiterate at the end of that post that Obi was trying to teach Anakin how to be a strong jedi, all around, but Anakin was on the fast track already due to his immense force skills. In short, Yoda should've trained him - someone who could keep up with him in the force department, and yet still train him to be a good jedi. There were too many communication problems due to this huge discrepancy in force abilities. While Obi was trying to teach Anakin patience and methodology, Anakin was already ten steps ahead thinking about how to solve the problem at hand in the most creative and efficient manner possible - ex., short cuts across Coruscant.

You know as well as I that the force does not a jedi make. And a huge amount of force is no different. I'm not claiming Anakin is the better jedi or the stronger jedi, but that his immense force abilities are causing him to be "Bored" in class, and it's frustrating both him and his teacher. Yoda could've handled it, Obi Wan didn't. We're all about to witness the end result of that disaster.
  4. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    There were too many communication problems due to this huge discrepancy in force abilities

Hmmmn, I didn't see this "huge discrepancy" in AOTC. We saw the occasional flash of brilliance from Anakin, such as his short-cut, but overall he didn't show any signs of out-classing Obi-Wan. Even in the hanger duel, Anakin only lasted the same length of time as Obi-Wan, and he was using two sabers. If Anakin really was that far ahead of Obi-Wan then the final duel in Ep3 would take about 30 seconds, and I don't think that is going to happen.

So far Anakin's skills have not been shown to be "immense" as compared to the other Jedi we have seen. We've seen flashes of potential, but that's all. Just my opinion.

5. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    Undomiel
    I agree that Anakin's raw skills make it easier for him to do certain things, he probably found that he could jump higher, run faster etc. than other Jedi his age and this made him think that he's ahead of everyone else. He's arrogant, he doesn't realise that it takes more than power to be a Jedi, wisdom, understanding oneself, discipline, all the things which are truly difficult he doesn't pay attention to.

Obi says he couldn't have taught as well as Master Yoda, but Yoda must be aware of Anakin's skills/potential problems, so why doesn't he do anything?

To make matters worse, Obi was missing crucial opportunities to bolster healthy confidence in his student, incorrectly assuming this would add to Anakin's arrogance, causing an emotional gap that Palpatine

Well most of the incidents in the film involve Anakin leaping without thinking and Obi trying to teach him to think and use the Force more. But I don't think in the 10 year period that Anakin was without compliments or encouragement for Anakin. But at this stage Anakin's become too cocky and Obi is aware of the dangers of that behaviour so he has to be a more focused on discipline.

g
  6. AdmiralPiet16 Jedi Padawan

Luke does whine in ANH but he doesn't take it as far as disrespecting his elders, especially yoda. also Anakin is a lot more egotistical than Luke, Luke didn't really realize his importance, he didn't understand the extent of his power as the emporer and Vader did. Luke is in a hurry to fight for good, and end the dictatorship of the Empire. Anakin however we already know is destined for evil, there is nothing that can save him, it has to happen, but the fact that he can whine and throw a tantrem like a small child right in front of Padme and she still falls for him, i think that should have been rewritten, he is trying to impress her not disgust her with disrespect for Obi-Wan who might not have the raw force talent of Anakin, but Anakin needs to be sat down and told that wisdom and patience and control are far above the raw power so blatant in the dark side.
  7. Depa Billaba Jedi Knight

star 2
    Anakin however we already know is destined for evil, there is nothing that can save him, it has to happen...

This, I don't agree with. I sincerely don't believe that Anakin was born to become a Dark Lord of the Sith. Until such time as somebody does something evil, there's always hope that they wouldn't do it...isn't there?

Depa Billaba
  8. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Gezvader,

He's lacking faith in his teacher's abilities, primarily because of the discrepancy in force skill between the two. His potential is off the charts, which means if he'd been trained correctly, he would've surpassed Obi Wan in jedi skills as well. Obi has the upperhand because he is an overall excellent jedi, and not just a massive force wielder. But he doesn't have Anakin's "raw" force power as you put it, and as a result, it's causing his lessons to bore the snot out of Anakin. Impatience kicks in, and he jumps the gun, causing his teacher to erupt into yet another reprimand about his lack of patience. Yoda, on the other hand, would already be thinking the same thing as Anakin, and would simply tell him "Now this is why you don't want to do that," and give him a fairly sound argument for why not, based on his amassed knowledge of the force and being a jedi. Obi is just not there. If he was, he'd be the Master of the Jedi Council instead of Yoda.
  9. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    Undomiel,
    I'm not sure. The problem is we know so little of what happened in the 10 years. I don't think Yoda would be teaching Anakin anything different particularly, he did reprimand Luke a fair bit, he reprimanded QG and Obi too. But let's imagine that he were Anakin's teacher, what might the difference be - well I imagine Yoda would automatically command more respect, he's a top Jedi. Maybe Anakin subconsciously feels that Obi isn't a good enough to teach him, at a guess I'd say most teachers are older than Obi.
    But the upside of Obi teaching Ani is that he's more like a friend and father figure than Yoda could be.

I meant to say this earlier but i was in a rush -
    it seems to me that the Jedi council aren't really kepping an eye on Anakin, which is odd since they were so worried about him being 'dangerous' in TPM, aren't they concerned that he'd be a prime candidate for conversion with his impatience, desire for power etc.?

g
  10. Knight_Mical Jedi Knight

star 1
    You know as well as I that the force does not a jedi make. And a huge amount of force is no different. I'm not claiming Anakin is the better jedi or the stronger jedi, but that his immense force abilities are causing him to be "Bored" in class, and it's frustrating both him and his teacher. Yoda could've handled it, Obi Wan didn't. We're all about to witness the end result of that disaster.

You are speculating that Yoda could have handled Anakin better, but there's nothing in the movies that suggests he could have or that he thought that Obi-Wan wasn't doing a good job.

Yes, Anakin is bored and impatient and arrogant and thinks he knows more than his teacher, but that doesnt mean he is more powerful, more knowledgeable or more skilled. ON the contrary the movie shows the opposite to be true.

Lots of students get bored in class that doesnt mean they know the subject. In fact, when the subject of the class is patience, serenity, and control then it means the student has flunked the class and needs to be put back to remedial classes.

You blame the teacher rather than the student and that's where we disagree. I saw nothing in AOTC that suggests that Obi-Wan is a bad mentor or teacher, conversley I saw alot to suggest that Anakin was a bad student. A student must want to learn, recognize the value and need for the lessons and that's what Anakin is missing.

In essence, Anakin is an immature punk who thinks he knows more than his parent and teacher (reminds me of me way back when). Unfortunately he is faced with temptations and events that are potentially life changing at a time in his development when he is the most vulnerable. Obi-Wan recognizes this and is desperate to protect him from himself.
  11. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Gezvader,

Yoda appears to be aware of things, but also doesn't seem to take any of the threats facing the council as seriously as most of us would were we in his position. According to the story, even the council was suffering with arrogance issues, compassion issues and complaceny brought on by the passage of time/repetition.

Obi Wan: His abilities have made him, well, arrogant.

Yoda: Yes, yes. A flaw more and more common among jedi. Too sure of themselves they are, even the older, more experienced ones.

Mace: Remember Obi Wan, if the prophecy is true, your apprentice is the only one that can bring the force back into balance.

What Yoda and Mace are trying tell Obi Wan in this scene is, although he is Anakin's teacher, he should'nt overestimate his authority in the situation by focusing on Anakin's faults, as it is also a form of arrogance, and because he is after all the mentor/teacher of the Chosen One and not a normal padawan. Focus is the buzzword here. Obi's focus was on his padawan's faults, rather than his strengths. Anakin as student, needed an equal smattering of both but got a bucketload of negativity because Obi simply was not ready to teach the Chosen One.
  12. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    KnightMical,

You are speculating that Yoda could have handled Anakin better, but there's nothing in the movies that suggests he could have or that he thought that Obi-Wan wasn't doing a good job.

In the OT, Obi-Wan admits that he was not prepared for training Anakin, that Yoda should've done it. And Yoda points out to Obi Wan in the scene I quoted in the post above, that even he is suffering with a bit o' arrogance (this is in direct response to Obi's concern that his padawan was arrogant as the result of his abilities. Mace's response to Obi is basically, well you ARE training the Chosen One, afterall.

Yes, Anakin is bored and impatient and arrogant and thinks he knows more than his teacher, but that doesnt mean he is more powerful, more knowledgeable or more skilled. ON the contrary the movie shows the opposite to be true.

I have granted you that Obi is the better jedi, but don't expect me to grant you that he is also the more powerful - that would be in direct contradiction of a goodly portion of the information in the films concerning Anakin pre-Vader era. Anakin does become "the most powerful jedi ever," BEFORE he goes Sith-ster, but he's beaten by Obi Wan because he (Anakin) gets too emotional during the duel.

13. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    But in the AOTC commentary, Lucas states that one of the reasons he had Dooku be Yoda's padawan was to show that even a Jedi teacher as good as Yoda could have a padawan turn to the darkside. He said that Obi-Wan needlessly blames himself for Anakin's fall in the OT, that he is not responsible for Anakin's fall.

Undomiel, we haven't seen anything in the movies that indicate that Anakin is more powerful than Obi-Wan or that he is the most powerful jedi ever. This may be shown in ep III, but I doubt it. If Anakin achieved that level as a Jedi, he never would have turned to the dark side.
  14. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    SLR,

Really? Well I was not aware of that. If such is the case, then I would have to agree, that it is not Obi's fault. Hm, the odd thing about that statement is, that we are lead to believe this is actually the case in the OT, and now in the PT GL is saying it isn't the case. I wonder if the difference in understanding GL accumulates between the OT and the PT, colors his decisions on this topic. New parents have a tendency to make mistakes the first time around, so I was assuming this was Obi's problem - he was like a new parent and needed some fine tuning on his teaching skills.

Sadly, this means that Anakin is entirely at fault, and Obi's treatment of him was correct. But if he felt this was so, why'd he have Yoda and Mace, correct Obi's thinking? There may be a plot twist in there.

EDIT: Actually it's a spoiler that Anakin becomes the most powerful jedi ever, but most powerful does not necessarily mean most capable.
  15. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    Undomiel, you appear to be putting your own spin on the meaning of scenes and dialogue and stating it as fact. The Yoda/Mace/Obi-Wan scene seems especially open to interpretation.

In my view, Yoda is commenting on the Jedi in general. By this point in the film, Obi-Wan has already encountered Jocasta Nu, who has confidently informed him that the Jedi Archives are infallible, which of course turns out to be untrue. Mace has also stated that Dooku cannot be behind the plot to kill Amidala because he was once a Jedi, putting him beyond reproach. Yoda is just beginning to see that a fall is coming for the Jedi, and that their position in the universe is not as it once was; all bets are off and nothing is certain. He is not rebuking or contradicting Obi-Wan, on the contrary, he is agreeing with him. He is also saying keep an open mind, and I believe this is not just directed at Obi-Wan, but Mace as well.

Mace, on the other hand, is commenting on Obi-Wan's opinion that he had been wrong to train Anakin, that he had been too old to be trained succesfully. Mace is saying, IMO, that the prophecy says that Anakin will bring balance to the force, so have faith and don't worry about it; everything will come good in the end. Of course Mace is both right and wrong: Anakin will bring balance to the force, but he will betray and murder the Jedi first.

16. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Its not a contradiction at all. Just because Obi-Wan blames himself, which he does, doesn't mean that he actually failed in the training. It is actually natural for people to be hard on themselves. Obi-Wan definitely blames himselfe, but the fault was all on Anakin. Lucas used Yoda and Dooku and Anakin's unwillingness to listen to Obi-Wan to show the audience that Obi-Wan was needlessly blaming himself for Anakin's failure.
  17. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Soitscometothis,

Well being a mother of 22 years and 3 kids, I have seen the ups and downs of parenting. As a parent, I went through 3 phases: 1) I'm right, you're wrong. 2) Maybe I'm not right but you're still wrong. 3) We are both human and we will get through this journey called life together. So yeah, my personal understanding of parenting may be coloring my perspectives on this.
  18. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    Undomiel
    What Yoda and Mace are trying tell Obi Wan in this scene is, although he is Anakin's teacher, he should'nt overestimate his authority in the situation by focusing on Anakin's faults, as it is also a form of arrogance, and because he is after all the mentor/teacher of the Chosen One and not a normal padawan. Focus is the buzzword here. Obi's focus was on his padawan's faults, rather than his strengths. Anakin as student, needed an equal smattering of both but got a bucketload of negativity because Obi simply was not ready to teach the Chosen One.

Mm... well I'd have to say I never thought Yoda was refering to Obi when he commented on 'arrogance'. Obi isn't an older jedi, and he doesn't look shamed by the remark.
    I think that scene is mainly plot exposition - it's alerting the audience that all is not well in the Jedi order, there are cracks from within. And it's also reminding us that Anakin is the chosen one.
    I'm never sure if Mace and Yoda believe that Anakin is the chosen one, if they did I would think they'd take a lot closer interest in the kid. I mean at the end of the film Yoda has done nothing about the psychic link he felt when Anakin gave in to his wrath.

Well being a mother of 22 years and 3 kids, I have seen the ups and downs of parenting.

I think the parenting analogy is a good one - if a parent's child grows up to be a bank robber the parent tends to wonder if it was their fault "What did I do wrong? Did I spoil him too much? Was I too hard on him ?" etc.

Obi may have made mistakes, maybe he'll make a big one in III, and I imagine Palpy will be influencing Anakin. But I also think that ultimately it's Anakin's choice to turn. All the events in a person's life shape them to a degree, but it's not like Anakin has only had BAD things happen to him.

In the scene in question - I don't think Obi is too harsh on him. It seems obvious that Anakin's main problem is lack of self-discipline and arrogance, and that's what he displays in that scene and Obi tries to teach him the lesson, (yet again).

g
  19. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Knight_Mical: How can you accuse Undomiel of "baiting the Obi-lovers", given some of the comments you and a few others have made in this thread and others? Wouldn't you be "baiting the Anakin-lovers"?

Here's one example: Obi doesn't get upstaged, he gets pushed into death and life situations caused by Anakin's recklessness and stupid mistakes.

And another:

Anakin is an immature punk who thinks he knows more than his parent and teacher

Every mission Anakin attempts is a complete failure, every decision is the wrong one.

And another:

Anakin is way too immature to be let loose yet.

And hell, here's a comment about the posters:

The blame Obi-Wan for Anakin's mistakes contigent is mostly based on their affection for the Anakin character and the whining that Anakin does about his mentor to the girl he's trying to impress. All I can say is these people must either be very young, not have kids or have short memories.

Don't accuse anyone of "baiting the Obi lovers" when you are clearly trying to piss off the Anakin-lovers. ;)
  20. Knight_Mical Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was actually teasin/joking, seeing how thats the most convienient criticism people make when they disagree with something. Instead of arguing the point, they accuse the person of being an Obi-Wan or Anakin lover or basher, which I find inane and pointless. It's nothing more than an excuse to hide the fact that they have no good rebut to an arguement.

My being an "Obi-Wan lover" (not true I like girls, I swear) is that supposed to be a bad thing? In the same way that you being and Anakin-Lover is somehow bad? I think that people care and relate to these characters is a huge compliment to George and the story and to the fans themselves. None of us would be here, if we didn't care about the characters.

Now, my calling Anakin's actions stupid, is a fact that is supported by the movie. The fact that Anakin is often inept is also shown in the movie. So I stand by these statements as they relate to the points made in the posts these came from. It's always a pleasure to see ya A_G. ;)
  21. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    My being an "Obi-Wan lover" (not true I like girls, I swear) is that supposed to be a bad thing? In the same way that you being and Anakin-Lover is somehow bad?

No, it's not a bad thing. I couldn't tell if you were joking or not though. ;) I was going to scream bloody murder if saying something negative about Obi-Wan really was considered "baiting" though, when I could make a 50-page list of negative things people say on these boards about Anakin--and then people actually get pissed at me when I complain about it.

Don't get me wrong--I don't dislike Obi-Wan. I just get irritated with the attitude of some folks (not you, just speaking in general) that he is all that and a bag of chips, and that Anakin should have been on his knees in front of him, massaging his feet with scented oils and kissing his toes.

As far as Anakin's actions being "stupid"--stupid is in the eye of the beholder, so I wouldn't say that your statement is "supported by the movie". After all, when it came down to whether or not they did need to investigate who was trying to kill Padme, Anakin was right, not Obi-Wan. And as far as "doing what he is told"--unless one is getting a paycheck, I don't put much stock in obedience as an adult, and Anakin was an adult.
  22. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    Don't get me wrong--I don't dislike Obi-Wan. I just get irritated with the attitude of some folks (not you, just speaking in general) that he is all that and a bag of chips, and that Anakin should have been on his knees in front of him, massaging his feet with scented oils and kissing his toes.

I don't want Anakin doing that. I want to do that. Only I wouldn't be massaging his feet! But since this is a family friendly site, I won't go into details. :p

Seriously, I think they both have their flaws. Obi-Wan needs to RELAX and Anakin needs to grow up.

23. Knight_Mical Jedi Knight

star 1
    Anakin was right, not Obi-Wan. And as far as "doing what he is told"--unless one is getting a paycheck, I don't put much stock in obedience as an adult, and Anakin was an adult.

Now see if I had told my commanding officer "I'm an adult and don't have to be obediant to you or anyone else", I'd have been shown the error of my ways pretty damn quickly and not as gently as Anakin got it. In fact, if I tried that with my mom now, she'd make short work of me and does quite often, though I'm 30 something years old. So though you don't put much stock in it, I do.

As far as that rubbing Obi-Wans feet etc... sounds kind of kinky. Did I tell you have a blue lightsaber too.
  24. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Now see if I had told my commanding officer "I'm an adult and don't have to be obediant to you or anyone else"

Your commanding officer determines whether or not you get a paycheck. Anakin wasn't getting one.

In fact, if I tried that with my mom now, she'd make short work of me and does quite often, though I'm 30 something years old.

Let's hope your mom also gives you love and support in return for that respect--Anakin didn't get any.
  25. Knight_Mical Jedi Knight

star 1
    Anakin is also getting a paycheck, his livelyhood depends on the Jedi. He has a job to do as does Obi-Wan and he should concentrate on that rather than trying to impress Padme.

And Obi-Wan also gives Anakin love and respect, more than Anakin gives him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.