Speculation Ian McDiarmid on Palpatine Spin Off

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Darth Venator, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Venator Jedi Master

star 1
    Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere, but for those not aware - Ian McDiarmid has done an interview with SciFiNow, discussing the future of SW, his interest in Palpatine and his thoughts on Plagueis - amongst other things.

The article can be found at:
    http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/3891...w&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitterfeed

Its a nice little read and Ian is as wonderful and committed to his art as ever, plus his thoughts on the future are interesting - so I thought I'd share it with y'all. Enjoy!

Also...

Reading the article got me thinking...

What would you want (or not want) to see in a Palps Origin movie? Events? Locations? Would you even want to see a Palpatine movie?! Who would you cast as Plagueis? or Young Palpatine? For those who have read the book, assuming you couldn't keep them all in - what scenes would you put in or cut out of the movie?

So many questions... Now, lets between us come up with the perfect movie and make sure it happens!
  2. kubricklynch Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    kubricklynch threw 6-faced die for: Total: 6
  3. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    Honestly, I'd throw out about 90% of the Plagueis book. With that said, I wouldn't want to see a Palpatine origin movie anyway. I think it would demystify the character somewhat. I feel that with a character like Palpatine, you shouldn't see what he's up to until his plan has succeeded and you're already dead. Even though I know all of the twists in Star Wars, I'd still like to think that some day I'll watch every Star Wars movie, including the spin-offs, in chronological order and Palpatine won't be revealed as a villain until ROTS.
    Echo-07 likes this.
  4. Darth Xalfrea Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    May I ask...WHY?
    stormcloud8 and Death T like this.
  5. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    A lot of little things, like Plagueis still being around during The Phantom Menace, Maul not being a true apprentice, Palpatine murdering his family, even the way he kills Plagueis seemed like overkill. Yes, this is the guy who screams "UNLIMITED POWER!!!" and throws senate pods at Yoda but I always felt that ROTS was the first time Palpatine ever really allowed himself to cut loose because he had to hide his true nature for so long.

I also tend to imagine that Palpatine's plan was entirely his own. Having the plan originate with Plagueis (albeit in a different form) cheapens Palpatine somewhat. Honestly, I'd push Plagueis' death back in time about 20-30 years, well before the creation of the Clone Army or even Palpatine's rise to Senator of Naboo.
    Alexrd and Captain Tom Coughlin like this.
  6. darthtuttle Force Ghost

star 4
    The Plagueis book was too easy to piece together what would happen.
  7. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree about the critisism over the book but Lucas himself ordered many of those 'issues' and had the book reworked something like 5 times so no point in getting too worked up. Concidering how much Lucas micromanaged that book Im surprised it came out as well as it did in the end. Personally, Maul not being a true apprentice didnt bother me too much but maybe that was due to Mauls lack of dialog. However again the time line was a Lucas choice... there was even supposed to be a scene in TPM when Plagueis tried to visit Anakin to witness his creation but finding out he was too late and Anakin just left for Naboo, so going into the novel I was forwarned of him still being alive and the consiquences for Maul as a result.

As to a Palpatine origin story count me out... not interested. That said I wouldnt oppose a Dark Times story with him in it or maybe something involving his hands or maybe even something like TFU where it focuses more on Vader or something if it involved the two trying to unlock the secrets to cheat death... any story along those line might actually be benificial to the ST if they use any of those elements.
  8. BarkingFrog Force Ghost

star 2
    I fricking love Ian McDiarmid. His portrayal of Palpatine made the whole prequel trilogy for me. I really hope we haven't seen the last of him in Star Wars. Obviously the chance of him appearing in the ST is small, but I would love to see him show up in a spin off or something. He made an amazingly evil character come to life, and I hope we haven't seen the end of it.
  9. Death T Jedi Master

star 1
    Darth Plagueis was a great book. It developed Palpatine's character very well, and of course its revelations about Plagueis were intriguing too. It's silly to think Darth Sidious, perhaps the greatest Sith lord of all time, had never engaged in combat or revealed his true personality to anyone before Revenge of the Sith. All throughout the prequel trilogy Sidious revealed himself to his pawns in the CIS and he had to learn how to fight and use the force somewhere. Palpatine also revealed that he had in fact manipulated Plagueis too whenever he killed him, so Sidious gets back some credit for his machinations. He still carried them out in the end, and usurped his would-be master to boot. I don't think Maul's status has any bearing on how interesting his character is. Ventress isn't a true Sith either according to the rule of two and she plays her role just fine in the Clone Wars.

In fact, a Palpatine spinoff could also act as a Maul origins film too. The Plagueis book has a wealth of information about Palpatine and really adds to the story of The Phantom Menace. Probably one of the best EU books I've read in a while. I wouldn't mind seeing a Sidious spin off inspired by Luceno's work.
    Last edited by Death T, Mar 25, 2013
  10. BarkingFrog Force Ghost

star 2
    And I like the way Ian speaks about Palpatine. He clearly understands the character very well. I don't think there's been another actor in Star Wars who really understands their character as well as Ian. It's awesome.
    Last edited by BarkingFrog, Mar 26, 2013
    darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Jedi Comedian Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Source?

Sorry, I just don't believe that at all. We have no evidence that Plagueis had even been thought up back when TPM was being filmed. Plus, it would have felt incredibly random.
    TreborSabreon likes this.
  12. chris hayes Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Only use Ian McDiarmid for a spin-off please don't recast.........am I in B-4 the lock [face_monkey]?

ps.....I know I'm in B-4 THE LOCK [face_skull][face_chicken][face_laugh] :D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by chris hayes, Mar 26, 2013
  13. StoneRiver Force Ghost

star 4
    No to a Palps spin off. We know all we need to know...

Snaggletooth however....

In before the lock/merge [face_dancing]
    Darth Venator likes this.
  14. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    Palpatine is an awful protagonist for a blockbuster movie. There just isn't much "there" when it comes to his personality. He is all hunger for power and general greed. He has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Not really a guy you can easily root for.

Compare with Dexter from the same-named show. He is also a psychopath but he cares for his family, his loved ones and acts as a vigilante.
  15. Echo-07 Force Ghost

star 4
    Agreed! And the same goes for Yoda. Yoda should NOT be touched IMO.
    DarthBreezy likes this.
  16. Pfluegermeister Chosen One

star 4
    My understanding was that the decision to set part of the novel in and among the events of TPM was author James Luceno's; all Howard Roffmann did was to approve that decision (we honestly don't know what the extent of Lucas' involvement in this novel really was, if any). I'm not shy as a Lucas-basher, but if I'm going to do that, I first have to believe, one, that it was a bad idea in the first place, and two, that it was actually Lucas' bad idea. In this case, I can't get behind either of those premises, so I can't fault Lucas for it.

In fact, I can't necessarily say that in this case Lucas' influence wasn't a good thing, if only because I love the basic idea that, like Anakin and Luke - indeed, like Lucas himself - Palpatine in his youth was into driving and racing. I have no idea who's idea that was - I strongly suspect it came from one of Karen Miller's books first, but both may have been informed by the same source, which may or may not have ultimately been Lucas - but I just like the symmetry of the idea.

And oh, McDiarmid can bring the dry funny. "Vader sent him to cosmic hell." I love it! [face_laugh]
    Vthuil likes this.
  17. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Source?

Source?

Source?

That I know to be completely false.

Exactly.
    Last edited by Alexrd, Mar 26, 2013
  18. Heero_Yuy Chosen One

star 4
    I actually thought the ties into TPM made it a slightly better movie. Granted, the PT needs all the help it can get at times.
    Vthuil and The_Hellhammer like this.
  19. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    Eh...just going all "source? source?" for everything someone says isn't much of a discussion.
    If you are certain something is false or misunderstood, there are other ways to say that decently.
    That whole "Source?!" thing is kinda annoying, to be perfectly honest.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Source?
    Darkslayer, Vthuil, eht13 and 3 others like this.
  21. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
  22. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    This could work if they make it a comedy.
  23. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    I don't have any difficulty rooting for villains, nor do I care for any sort of "mysteriousness". A comedy would also work.
    Last edited by darklordoftech, Mar 26, 2013
  24. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll admit I seem to have been wrong... said something I heard repeated to me assuming it was correct (bad mistake) and just now spent an hour and researched on my own after reading the replies and couldnt find the source. I can admit when I was wrong, part of learning.

Still though I doubt Plagueis could be set more than ten years prior to TPM since of the implactions in his creation of Anakin, if he didnt then further back than 10 years is fine imho.
  25. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.