main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ian McDiarmid's Roll... Larger than TPM or ROTJ????

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by LottDodd, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I am hoping this is really Palpatine's Movie... While I generally adhere to the "Less is More" School of thought McDiarmid has Stolen the PT for me. I was wondering if you think Episode III will have the largest roll for him out of the Saga... Or do you think they'll save it for ROTJ.

I also hope we get to delve into both aspects of his Personallity. I want to see more "Chancellor Palpatine" as well as his "Darth" Side...

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think Episode III will be be McDiarmid's best performance as Palpatine. He'll have to have some of the usual smooth-talking elements to him, but I also expect him to be snarling out some lines in true ROTJ style.

He'll need to get an iron grip on the galaxy, while also converting Anakin to his side and (probably, I think) getting Dooku out of the way. Palpatine has a lot to do in Episode III, so I think we'll be seeing a lot of him.

3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I think we'll see more of Palpatine in Episode III. At least I can hope :D

4. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    The more Palpatine the better.

5. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    How long do you think the "Good Guy" Persona will last... the first half of the Movie Or is he in full Siddious Form from the start??

6. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Hopefully we'll get a good mix of both - some of the Chancellor's public manipulations and Sidious' behind the scenes scheming - before he just drops the personas and the charade and declares himself Emperor.

7. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I hope he'll start out as Chouncellor, then reveal himself as Darth Sidious and reveal the depths of his master plan.

I want to see a good deal of him, once they reveal his entire plan, and you look at all 6 films. Oh what a villain! He dupes the entire galaxy, even the Jedi to trust him, then reveals how every person in the galaxy was but a pawn

Palpatine is my favorite villain from any movie/book, didn't used to be until the PT, now that we know how good he really is

I think that when we see him reveal himself as Sidious will be one of if not my favorite scene of all 6 movies

8. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    I can't wait to see the scenes between Palpatine, Dooku and Anakin.

9. gothman

gothman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    "The more Palpatine the better."

I would watch two hours of just Palpy sneaking around and acting shifty.

10. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Is his roll, in screen time, Larger in TPM or ROTJ... which is the High-water Mark??

11. gothman

gothman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    Well, it's not the amount of screen time, it's what you do with it. As we saw in AOTC, Palpy was only onscreen for like five minutes total, but his shadow was ubiquitous.

However, he did have a lot more pots on the stove in TPM. When he slept, I'll never know.

12. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Palpatine has a fair amount of stuff to do in ep3 compared to the other films (afterall, he has to declare himself Emperor, possibly reveal his identity, convert Anakin, start the Jedi purge, etc.), so I think we shall be seeing a lot of him. The PT are pretty much his films as just about everything happens because of his manipulations

13. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I sure hope so. I think it will be his largest role of the prequels but I'm not sure if it will be larger than ROTJ. He is brilliant as Palpy/Sidious so hopefully he gets a lot of screen time.

14. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I think his role will even be bigger than in ROTJ. He has so much to do, compared with ROTJ.

What can we expect?
    - some scenes that deal with the end of the clone wars: Palpatine that lead the republic to victory, he'll be loved!
    - some scenes with Dooku/Tyranus
    - some scenes where he'll have to accuse the Jedi in the senate...
    - some/many scenes with Anakin
    - scenes with Bail Organa
    - some scenes/every scene with the his new apprentice, Darth Vader
    - the expected scene where he reveals himself as Sidious
    - maybe a little "fight" with Yoda?? I do hope so.
    - scene where he declares himself emperor
    - scenes where he'll cackle! :D

...and many more

It looks very good for Ian McDiarmid. If the script will be good, his performance will be unforgettable! :)

15. ForceHeretic

Dec 8, 2002
    I think it would be funny if the only hint we were ever given that Palpatine was the bad guy was if whenever they zoomed in on his face he had shifty eyes..."and people will suspect the dog"

16. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Mr. Palptine goes to Courascant as remade by Mel Gibson and Homer Simpson...

17. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    stinrab made a good point in saying that basically everything that happens in the PT is because of Palpatine. Ep. III is where all the PT's loose strings need to be tied up and therefore I would bet Palpatine will have a rather large, significant role in the next movie. I'm dying to see the scene where he declares himself Emperor; that would be great in my opinion.

But despite his importance, Ep. III is Anakin's movie first and foremost. The focus should be on him and his final fall, though Palpatine undoubtedly factors heavily into that.

18. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I hope he plays both Sidious and Palpatine a lot in Epi III. By that, I mean still keeping them separate in identity till the last moments. Until Episode VI we really dont see him loose his cool. At that point where he Force-lightnings Luke. I hope that even if we dont see Chancellor Palpatine wielding the lightning, we'll see him get right mad at Yoda or Mace in his expression. You know he is the only one who can pull off that expression and it'd be sweet to see a glimpse of that control by such a great actor. Maybe the Jedi would also be stunned, not noticing it was Palpatine being p.o.ed and saying as they normally do "I feel a disturbance in the Force". Palpy would then, naturally, switch topics to something else.

Isurus

19. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Duh, everything I was going to say is already said, so you leave me no choice:
    "the more (Palpatine) the merrier"
    hopefully.

20. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Ep3 will actually provide us with a movie where the 'bad guy' reveals his master plan and instead of blowing it he will actually end the movie on top. Oh and Ian will be great. He always is!

21. ForceHeretic

Dec 8, 2002
    Heh heh yea, this is one movie in which when the villain tells the heroes his plan, they won't use this knowledge to thwart his evil scheme. Cause thats been done pretty much to death *cough*bond*cough

but don't get me wrong Bond is still the man

22. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I love the thought of the Villians actually Winning for once...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.