main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Icarus - Export in 3ds max ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by brox, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brox

brox Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2005
    Hello friends !

I´ve worked very fine with Icarus and`I´ve got a really nice callibration. This result, I´ve exported for 3dsmax in a max script.

As you can see in my test renderings, there is one big problem:
    It seems to bee, that the 3D object doesn´t match and fit exactly on the ground.

The video and the 3d objects included, looks very nervös.

Video 1 (Divx)
    Video 2 (DivX)

the last video shows the video which was included in the free download.
    And I´ve took the included callibrated icarus scene.

So I think, that the callibration in icarus is well done, but I wonder if there is any little option I have to set in 3ds max ????

At first I thought, maybe the frame rate is wrong or something else.
    But I don´t know, and it would be a big pleasue if someone can help me.

Thank you for every little help, and special greetings from littel austria,
    brox

2. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    If you're footage is 29.97 FPS make sure the 3Ds Max scene renders at the same rate. Or you can carefully tweak the camera movement in 3Ds Max.If not then I would just use a tripod for a smooth pan. Freemotion isn't my thing anyways.

Edit: Wait I just read carefully...You exported a maxscript? You didn't render?

3. Khalor

Khalor Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 3, 2004
    I think he means he exported the Icarus camera tracking data as a maxscript. Not the 3ds max scene. ;)

I second checking the frame rate. Also, try checking your skew and focal length data in Icarus, and try performing a bundle adjust.

Hope that helps! :)

4. brox

brox Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2005
    yeah, I did export the max-script and after that, I did run the script in max.
    and I´ve checked all the tracking and callibration functions in icarus, and they are all right. I think this is not the problem.

The Problem must be anywhere in the FPS settings in max.

My orignal source video was recorded with 15/fps.
    So, I dedcided to set the time configuration to custom: 15/fps

I´ve tried again, and again, but I still have the problem.
    Does nobody know how I can fix this and what I do wrong ?

Thank you so much for every little help,
    bye,
    brox

5. ted433

ted433 Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2004
    did you take measurements?? I know the clip of the big white building came with icarus but when you have your own footage, it starts like basic camera matching. measure how far away from your footage origin and how high the camera is off the ground. When you import the script, copy those measurements. icarus handles the angle and rotation and moving the cg camera won't affect those numbers. that'll get you at least darn close. then it's just a matter of fiddling with the FOV and such. (like everyone else, not an expert but that's what's worked for me so far) :)

6. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Hi Brox,
    you might have overlooked several important things.

If you want to have a nice and clean composite, it is important that you not only export the 3D-camera motion, but also go into the reconstruction module and set up a small 3d-scene that acts as a guide for later work in any 3d application. After that, you have to load the camera motion exported from the calibration module, and in addition the scene that you get from the reconstruction module. Otherwise you can´t place any objects nowhere near an accurate position in 3D-space in the 3D-application of your choice.

I work with Cinema4D, and it works quite well, especially if the setup of the life action scene has enough geometrical information to calculate focal length by placing x,y,z axes into the scene, lets me place an origin point onto i.e. an edge of a table from where I can then check if the calculated scene orientation has been done correctly. If it is not 100%, you can change the orientation of the plane by hand, and by gradually changing the focal length to a more fitting value, you can then get an excellent calibration for the actual camera movement.

The axis system in icarus has to be aligned carefully to the existing geometry in your live action plates/movie footage.

It took me days and weeks to figure out how to properly work with icarus, costing me actually more than buying a license for "syntheyes"-tracker, the best (and only) professional low cost tracking solution.

Alternatively, you should look into getting the free "voodoo"-tracker from here

M.

7. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    buying a license for "syntheyes"-tracker, the best (and only) professional low cost tracking solution.

Well there's also PFHoe as far as pro low cost apps.

8. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Yes, forgot about that one, but PfHoe (based on Icarus) is kind of limited in its use, i.e. really free camera motion is kind of not really possible ;) Its a "one-click-to-result" solution, but you can´t do really good adjustments.

That makes Syntheyes still the only "professional" 3D-tracking solution in the price range under 1000 US-$ ;) And look at its price tag, its still wayyyy cheaper than matchmover, but (almost) as powerful.

Michael

9. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Actually PFTrack, and hence PFHoe, were largely rewritten and basically contain no Icarus code anymore. You can do free camera motion with PFHoe, though as you mentioned one of its limitations is that it's mainly an automated solution "press the button and forget", so no much in the way for manual adjustments. The other is that it mainly supports on DV resolutions, so you can't use it for pro work, but I guess it would be suitable for most people around here. But Syntheyes is really a very good deal overall.

The other option is the MMTrack plugin, a bit more expensive than Syntheyes but still in the sub-$1000 range, and works with Maya and Max. Although I prefer external apps but it's there for those that want the integrated capability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.