Ice and Fire RPG

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Aragorn327, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Anyone have experience with Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire rpg?

[image=http://greenronin.com/images/product/grr2701_200.jpg]

In the process of putting a campaign together and was wondering if anyone else here has used the system.
  2. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Been a while since I looked at it. Isn't it kinda d20?

It would seem hard to play in that setting, there's no orcs or griffons or anything to just beat on. It would take an experienced group

I remember they had a House system. Not sure if it works in play, but I would use that to make the players on the same side, then make their nemesis house
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    ASOIAF would require seasoned role players and I'd personally suggest GURPS is a better choice than anything d20.

ES
  4. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's d6 based and I've got a pretty good group to run it in.

Mostly need to work out some house rules to make the system less breakable--statted NPCs apparently suck. You can make a starting character on par at fighting than Ser Barristan/the Kingslayer/other amazing fighters. Then as they game goes on you can pump up their stats more, making them far better.

The House Creation system is a blast, at least.

edit: I've considered gurps, but we've used it extensively in the past and are interested in trying something new.
  5. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Is it the statted NPCs that suck, or they overpower new characters? Because I'd assume from the books that the game is more about house dynamics rather than fighting

Are your players all caught up with the books? Because you don't want to spoil them.

The setting is so tied to the unfinished narrative, I think it would be hard. Could try Alternate Game of Thrones. Make something else up...like a continent to the west that is all set on invading. Or Winter doesn't come and the Wall starts to melt.

Either way, what is great about the setting is there is a looming threat from afar...but the kingdoms are all sucktarded jerks so they aren't going to be ready. The campaign sets itself up for the first half: getting the kingdoms in order. Second half: face the threat with whatever forces you managed to rally
  6. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Storywise, 1 has read everything, 1 is finishing SoS, 2 have only watched the show.

I'm starting them off a year prior to the Tournament of Harrenhall during the False Spring. They'll be dealing with an insurrection on the lands of another bannerman of their liege house. Depending on how they handle it, they could gain standing with the Tyrells (they decided their house would be in the Reach,) possibly gain more land/territory...or things could go the other way and they could end up far worse off. This'll basically set up how much power/influence they'll have heading to the Tourney.

Depending on how that goes, I'll be altering the timeline based on their actions. They might alter events that start the Rebellion, or they might change the outcome of the war itself. It'll be fun reacting to them.
  7. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    I love altering cannon based on player actions in an established setting. Done it with Dragonlance and LOTR, always wanted to do it with SW
  8. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah. Always talked about running a Clone Wars game where Anakin died in the Outer Rim Sieges and then we just keep running with it and see what happens with the players taking center stage.

Never got around to it :\
  9. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    This might help: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6579356/game-of-thrones-rpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.