Ice Skating

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Icepaw_Kenobi, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icepaw_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    I see. Most of it still seems pretty much the same, just not the testing and competing style.
  2. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Figures used to be 50 per cent of the mark.
  3. Icepaw_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Now I would estimate it is about 30 per cent of an individual test to pass a level.

But what do I know? :p
  4. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    No; they don't require figures anymore. I think this is a mistake.
  5. Icepaw_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    They're not down-to-earth figures, like only testing figures, but you have to do certain things. Not just jumps and spins, though. You have to do about four elements just on the ice and a dance step sequence. For the test I passed a while back, I had to do brackets, which are a type of turn, and swing-choctows, which I really don't know how to spell.
  6. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    It's swing-choctaws.
  7. Icepaw_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, well. So did you ever take lessons?
  8. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Me? No. Nobody had lessons where I come from. Everybody had skates, though.
  9. Icepaw_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh. I do. I live in Central Illinois, so if you want to skate you have to take lessons. Couldn't really have a rink in the backyard... it would be a puddle.
  10. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  11. Icepaw_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Everyone probably heard, but Yu-Na Kim just broke the world record for Ladies Short Program!
  12. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Her performance was stunning!
  13. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Quite impressive indeed :)

I'm still in awe of the ice dance last night by Davis and White to Phantom of the Opera.
  14. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *nods*

Yeah, I was glad the two women they'd been hyping for gold were together so I didn't have to go to bed too late, and I was glad Kim won with such a stunning performance - as soon as I saw her out there, I thought she had a lot more fun and presence on the ice than her Japanese competitor! And without sacrificing the elements. Really beautiful. And indeed, Rogue, Davis and White were incredible with that Phantom of the Opera program!

Also, to answer the first post - yeah, took lessons when I was a young girl, love skating. Never quite got to jumps, though possibly close. :)
  15. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Ice skating is fun. I also grew up with an ice just behind my house, so I've spent much of my childhood skating and playing with the other kids in the neigbourhood. Can't do figure skating though. I think I had a pair of figure skates when I was like 7 but otherwise it's just been hockey skates, and last winter I finally changed to bandy skates. If I want to go out and play with my nieces or nephew I still use my hockey skates though, since the ice there has quite a lot of gravel and I don't want to destroy the cut of my good skates.

Has anyone tried tour skating? It's getting more and more popular around here. We have a big lake here and every winter they prepare tracks so that you can go up to 30 kilometres. This year we even hosted the Dutch open nationals in marathon skating, eventhough we are in Sweden.
  16. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    You know what I'd like to see?

Skatecross.

On a hilly track.

:D
  17. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    That would be... interesting. o_O
  18. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    It actually exists, one of the versions is crashed ice
  19. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ^ Oh my. That does look interesting. Potentially rather hazardous, but interesting. :p

Got off my backside and went to the ice rink today for public skating. Haven't done much in a very long time, was inspired by all the incredible skating there is to see in the Olympics coverage. Felt good, took a little time to get loosened up though. Nice that it wasn't crowded (middle of the day on a weekday...). :D Even practiced placing my ice pick while moving and taking a tiny hop - never got to jumps when I took classes as a kid (I've pretty much always been able to change direction while on one skate, though). Baby steps, baby steps. :p
  20. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Fabulous! I'd love to see that one.

Women's gold medal tonight. The fur (and sequins) will fly.
  21. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    That does indeed look interesting. And dangerous.
  22. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Do you get the feeling that the judges gave Rochette bronze in the interests on not being torn limb from limb by the crowd?

Of course, I would have happily participated in the dismemberment, if necessary. :D

23. Icepaw_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Perhaps. I thought she skated well enough; I thought she would get third or fourth, but on the official website you can score the skaters and the viewers judged her a lot lower than the judges.

I so want to try the crashed ice thing. It seems really fun.
  24. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I definitely think that she got some extra points, but it's just a feelings, since I don't know enough to judge the technical side of her skating.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.