main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Ice's Work of Art! {Updated May 09, 2006}

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ice_Ghost11, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice_Ghost11

Ice_Ghost11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    bumping... [face_batting]

2. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I do like the flightsuit here. The holster strapped to the thigh and the rolled up sleeves seem to suggest that this character is a bit of a rogue. Providing details like that really help to sell your image.

Also, your hand is drawn very well. I know that's an odd thing to comment on, but a lot of people really struggle with them. Also very nice job drawing the feet straight on. That also can be pretty difficult.

All in all, I think it's a solid drawing and definitely shows off what you wanted it to (the jumpsuit).

About the things you mentioned: a good little shortcut to remind yourself about proper arm length is to remember that the hand of a person will usually end right about mid-thigh. For legs, anatomically the navel is about the mid-point of the body. From the navel to the top of the head is about the same distance as to the bottom of the feet. But, that's actually less important than arms, especially with women characters... usually in art you'll see the length of the legs kind of stylized to be longer than maybe would be perfectly 'correct' to make the character seem better-looking.

The only other thing that jumps out at me besides the arm length is the way the other arm is twisted behind her. I'm sure you were probably more interested in drawing her costume than her arms, but if you want to have the other arm sort of disappear behind her, you'd have to adjust the line of her shoulders to make it seem less awkward. Right now her two shoulders are on a perfectly even plane, but if you look in a mirror while copying her position, you can see that her right shoulder would have to be dipped a little unless her arm was bending very tensely (and uncomfortably).

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi Ice_Ghost11!

wicktone wrote: if you look in a mirror while copying her position--and I broke up laughing, as that's something that I do sometimes, if I'm trying to "invent" figures! It really can help, though, when you're trying to figure out how to render a pose, so Master wicktone is exactly right!

I like the details on the flight suit, too: the cargo pockets, the belt and blaster. And it's true, that the "rolled-up sleeves" would be sort of "roguish," in terms of regulations for fighter pilots, so it gives a nice individuality to the character (who is also colored very nicely, btw--I like the red! :p ). You have a good handle on "shading with color," too--giving volume and "space" by deepening tones and values--nice.

Hope to see more soon!

FF

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Your work has a lot of character to it, it shines right through. My favourite is Roc'th, it's a great picture.

5. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Roc'th is one of my favorites as well... then again, he happens to be my boyfriend's character. lol :D

Okay, got some NEW! stuff!

Just a random Jedi Knight, I wanted to do a funky pose. heehee. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Em4SKI/My%20Drawings/JediKnight.jpg

Once again just a random image I've done. She's a Twi'lek Mercenary on an assignment that takes her underwater... I did this one for the pose as well, wanted to try something from the backside. I dedicate this picture to Sabre from Dewback Wing, my CO, who is very much demented and into Twi'leks. He kept popping into my head when I was drawing the butt. ha ha
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Em4SKI/My%20Drawings/Twilek_Mercenary.jpg

This, is actually a person. Modeled off a picture of Princess Leia, this captures the fiery essence of a young Human/Mirialan girl whose mother was a Jedi in the Clone Wars and her father a clone. Yeah, totally cheesy idea, but the picture came out good! :D
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Em4SKI/My%20Drawings/JorrdonNimshi-Sennedi.jpg

And another graphic I did recently for my RP. This is of Mikaeline Sennedi, I moved the name, changed the character. She is the former Apprentice to Kris Tunetso and is a Mirialan (same species as Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee) Jedi Knight currently. I made a lot of changes on this, made the hair black/blue instead of white, did up the eyes, changed the skin color, her outfit color, and placed the tattoos on her cheeks. Oh and made her lips blueish.
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/jedivssith/Mikaeline_Sennedi1.jpg

6. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
  7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Ice_Ghost11! Sorry I haven't been in to comment before now--the holidays take their toll, time-wise!

More great colored pencil pieces! You really have a wonderful touch with those, it shows up in every piece you do with them. The figure studies are pretty nice--well proportioned bodies. The Twi'lik swimming has a bit of an awkward head position here--I think her upper body needs to be curved up toward the "viewer" if we are able to see her face (I know my own neck doesn't pivot quite that far). Her body is wonderfully proportioned, though, and I'm liking that weapon she's brandishing! The profile portrait definitely harkens to our favorite Princess--I would suggest using shading (which you seem to be very good at) to show facial contours like cheeks--it's softer and more natural-looking than lines. Nice coloring to show the Mirialan influence here--and I'm seeing a lot of characters of that race lately! Your PS piece is wonderful--all the changes look very cohesive, and she looks like an interesting character (especially like the tattoos--nicely done)!

Good to see some new things from you!

FF

8. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Thanks, FF, it's really nice to hear some feedback! And thanks for the advice about using shading instead of lines, I'll give that a shot next go around. :D

9. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Hmmm... guess my artwork isn't very popular right now.:confused:

Oh well. heehee ;)

10. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    And my latest sketch. I haven't added color to this one, I just thought it would ruin the drawing. It was also my first attempt at depicting scars... which was a lot harder than I imagined. Speaking of which, does anyone know any techniques that might help portray them better?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Em4SKI/BattleScars.jpg - Battle Scars

11. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    I think you have potential that hasn't yet been realized.

As far as scars go, they are usually a lot more subtle than what you have shown. The picture, honestly, isn't large enough to delve into the detail you tried to display. So, what that means is, proportionately, the scar detail doesn't exactly match up with the size of the body, and the scars don't contour with the body's shape. For a composition of this size, I'd recommend making the sutures a lot smaller. Otherwise, you should probably just go right in and try a larger piece so that you can really study and recreate details.

12. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Thank you very much for the pointers. I appreciate the feedback.

Lately my drawing inspiration has been turned off so nothing new to share.

13. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    I like your style, Ice_Ghost. Each of your pieces is unique in some way, posture, coloring, shapes. Very nice color choices and well done.

What strikes me most of all are the shapes, though - in "Scars", while the picture is small, her curves and even the covering around her are very good, IMHO.

Hope your inspiration returns soon!

oldj

14. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Thank you. I enjoyed working on that picture. :D

I may go back and fix the scarring to be more to size with her body. Dunno, I can be lazy! lol. ;)

15. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Using JainaByrds wallpaper tutorial I have created the following:

Aayla and Quinlan - Unbreakable

This was a fun project and I'm very happy with the way it turned out, especially since it was my first attempt. :D

16. Hack

Hack Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    Ahh... fun with photoshop. I believe I should get partial credit for providing you with photoshop.:p

Dang, I'm no where near as fast as you. 14 minutes...

17. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Ah! You're everywhere! :p

And yes... thank you my dear purple friend for Photoshop. :p

18. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    You have a really great sense of anatomy, and your poses rock! Keep it up! :)

19. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    That's beautiful! [face_love] it! =D=

20. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    Brava! Good job! Feel free to share the tutorial with all of your friends. :p

21. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Thanks Jaina, that means a lot coming from you. Chilla and Esira my thanks to you as well. :D

Obi-Wan Kenobi

I have another one I'm working on too for a friend, of course, he had to chose something difficult. :p

Oh yes, and Jaina Bryd, I'll be sure to let folks know about the Tutorial. ;)

22. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Ahhh, here we go. Got some more! :D

Master Apprentice - Version One
    Master Apprentice - Version Two
    Master Tholme
    Lost Love

I wanted to try a faded picture with a not faded picture... and so I tried to convey in the "Lost Love" that's like a 'memory' Padme... though, I don't know if Vader would picture her pinkish.... :p

The text on the first MasterApprentice bothered me... it was too dark, so I did up the second one. :) Anyway, I lightened.

And Tholme is... well, Tholme. I did that one up for the Wallpaper Competition thing. :D

That's all for now... heehee

If you like 'em and would like to use one, feel free to do so. You can right click the image and click 'Save Image As' in order to save it onto your PC.

23. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Okay, here's the latest. :D

See First Post For Links

24. Hack

Hack Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    I like version two better.:D I don't like the colors of version one. It looks like an inversion...

25. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Thanks Hack.

I just thought the first version looked snazzy kind of at a glance. Well, parts of it looks cool. Some part of it looks... odd. :p

And if you have trouble viewing, my apologies... I need to find a better host that lets me host bigger images without sucking my bandwidth. meh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.