main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Icewind Dale II

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Obi_one_and_only, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Having played NWN, I now want to move to another D&D game. I'm thinking of getting ID II. Has any of you played it? What do you think of it?
    Thanks.

2. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    I own it. Still haven't beaten it (haven't played it a ton). It's fun, but to be honest, I would point you into the direction of the game that started it all: Baldur's Gate. That game has amazing storyline that puts all the other Bioware D&D games (which are quite good) to shame.

-Jomero

3. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I like IWD2. It's fun and it has a lot more interesting story than NWN. So if you already have beaten all three parts of Baldur's Gate you should get IWD2 too. If you haven't played Baldur's Gates then get them first. They may be older but games won't get much better from those. There's a lot of funny references to IWD1 in IWD2 which I liked (most of the troubles in IWD2 have happened because some no-good would-be-heroes group messed up things thirty years earlier).

4. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    I'm currently playing IWDII. My party has made it to the Underdark in Chapter 4. It is good, but even better if you have played IWD. You can talk to certain people in the game and read in-game "books" on the events of IWD, but it's not like experiencing it.

And I give a thumbs up to the BG series too. In fact, along with my IWDII game, I have a BG game going on. Just my character (fighter/cleric) and Imoen (I dual-classed her to a mage). We're currently rocking the Cloakwood.

Question: In Chapter 2 of IWD, there is a druid named Nathan caught in the Ice Palace in the Western Pass. He says he is from Kuldahar. Is that the little boy from IWD in Kuldahar?

5. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    i]Question: In Chapter 2 of IWD, there is a druid named Nathan caught in the Ice Palace in the Western Pass. He says he is from Kuldahar. Is that the little boy from IWD in Kuldahar?[/i]

Yep, that's him.

One thing I considered extremely funny was that one village (just before strange forest) full of those barbarians with finnish names . I don't often see anything finnish in computer games so it was quite refreshing.

6. V8ER_H8ER

V8ER_H8ER Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 1998
    BG is really good and BG2 is OK IMHO.

ID is fine, not the best game, and I haven't played ID2.

BG is a great place to start of course. If you are a fan of the Forgotten Realms books you should really appreciate all 4 of these games(more if you cound the expansions).

7. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Well, I hate R.A. Salvadore so I haven't read teh books it's based on, but I have played Icewind Dale 2 and I do recogmend it. :) It's a good game, but be warned that it takes up a LOT of space on your hard drive.

Haven't played any Baldur's Gate though, so I can't comment on whether or not you should get that first.

8. V8ER_H8ER

V8ER_H8ER Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 1998
    Well, Icewind Dale is very very loosely based on Salvatore's books. Except for the starting and ending locations there isn't much there to connect the two. Especially since the game takes place 30yrs or so before his books.

Haven't played ID2 so I can't comment on wether or not there is any stronger of a connection(i.e. Drizzt, Wulfgar, etc).

9. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Haven't played ID2 so I can't comment on wether or not there is any stronger of a connection(i.e. Drizzt, Wulfgar, etc).

No connections at all. But you can make your own drow ranger characters if you want.

10. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    I hope you don't hate Salvatore only because a certain special character had something tragic happen to them in a certain Star Wars book. *IF* that's your reason for hating him, you'd be interested to know that it was not Salvatore's idea to kill him off, in fact, he outright told the Lucas people he didn't want to do it. But, he was forced to include it.

Nobody wanted to see him die, especially Salvatore. You're hating the wrong guy(s) for that, if that's your reason.

Now, if you hate him because you don't like his writing style, that's another thing. Still, hate's a pretty strong word don't you think? But, you're entitled to your opinion.

-Jomero

11. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    My opinion would be to get Icewind Dale and its sequel first, then Baldur's Gate, then Planescape: Torment, then Baldur's Gate II. In that way, you'd be going in order, from worst (which is still half-decent) to best (best...games...ever).

Sort of like Jurassic Park. Read the book first, and the movie's boring; watch the movie first, and you'll still enjoy the book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.