main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY ICON added George Takei/Richard Hatch

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by RnRJedi007, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RnRJedi007

RnRJedi007 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2003
    ICON just addded George Takei "OH MY"
    Of Star Trek & now of The Stern show.
    Plus Richard Hatch of Battlestar Galactica

2. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    what's the dates of I-con this year?

3. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    March 24-26. :) All the info you need can be found here: http://www.iconsf.org/

4. MasterSifo-Dyas

MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Looks like a good ICON. --Billy

5. Moorglade

Moorglade Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    Now now... you were at the meeting. You know it's I-CON! Not ICON. Or Icon. Or I-Con. :D

Richard Hatch is a really nice guy. And still looks pretty much the same as he did 20 years ago.

6. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Yes Triss your right about the spelling At the meeting. I'm glad someone paying attention. LOL!!

7. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    I met Richard Hatch at Big Apple Con. He really was a nice guy.

George Takei I would love to meet.

I can only immagine how many people will be asking him about Howard Stern, but I honestly don't give a womprat's ass. *shrugs*

In the words of Futurama's Fry, HOWARD STERN IS OVER-RATED!!!:p

8. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I'd like to meet George Takei, but I'm not sure if I'll go. I will definetely be there if I'm not out of town, and if they add a Star Wars guest that I've never met before.

9. Dolt

Dolt Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2004
    I've never met him myself, but I have two stories from friends who met him. One is an ex-girlfriend, who had her photo taken with him at a convention--and he pinched her butt while the photo was being taken. When he revealed he was gay, she was adamant "No way!" so we all consoled her that he must have been working out some "issues."

The other story has to do with my friend Glenn, who used to work for Marvel Comics, where he wrote a limited series called "Star Trek: Untold Voyages." While he was working on it, he ran into Takei in an elevator at a convention. Rather than me re-tell it ('cause I'm too lazy to do all that typing), here's his (short) version of the story, from an interview he did on a Trek fan site:

But the most memorable experience I had working on that issue was when I met Sulu himself, George Takei!

I was actually working on the Sulu story when I met him, and I told him I was writing a comic book story about his character. So his eyes light up and he says to me, "Oh? You're writing a story about Captain Sulu?"

I said, "Yes, but he's not a captain in my story." So then he gives me a skeptical look and says, "Well, you know, I am a captain now." I have to point out?he said "I'm a captain," not "Sulu's a captain."

I told him I knew that, but then he started telling me the whole story about how he'd been lobbying for a promotion to captain since the second movie and it didn't finally happen until the sixth one. And I told him I knew all that, too, because he'd talked about it in various interviews. So then I tried to explain to him that my story took place BEFORE he became a captain, that it shows a younger Sulu learning what it takes to command a ship.

So he then asks me, "Well, do I become a captain by the end of the story?" And I told him, "No," because the entire series takes place years before even the second movie.

And he says to me, "Well, who wants to read that? I'm a captain now!"

That was the point where I said to myself, "Okay, time to get out of this conversation!" (laughter)

Clive

10. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Is this going to be the first convention appearance he's making since coming out?

11. Moorglade

Aug 1, 2002
    Oh my.

:D

Well, no one else has said it yet!

12. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    <<Oh My>>
    not true Triss. It was in my opening post:D
    go back and look:-B

Rob

13. Moorglade

Aug 1, 2002
    Oops, yeah you did, didn't you. Okay, so... no one had said it in a few posts! It was time for another one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.