main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ICON] Another icon thing: 4th of July, Canada Day, etc

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Does anyone have thoughts one way or another about putting up national flags on such days? I've gotten a PM request or three about this, and I'm looking for general feedback. It'd be just for the day(s) in question, and just one or two icons.

2. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Yes July 1st, Canada Day, would be very cool.
    I don't think we need one for the 4th of July, that seems like overkill no?
    We should focus on just the big holidays.

3. DarthSmurf

DarthSmurf Jedi Master star 5

May 10, 2003
    I think that would be a great idea. Go Canada! :p

4. Ewok15

Ewok15 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 1, 2002
    We should focus on just the big holidays.

But 4th of July is a big holiday for a lot of Americans. I don't think it would be overkill to have one icon of the American Flag for one day.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm against this idea again.

It's localized, not global.

July 4th is "Independence Day" in America and "Go Out and Get Drunk Over The Countries We Pissed Away Day" in the UK. Different strokes for different folks.

I say thee nay.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    If there were to be July 4th icons, then could I request one of Bill Pullman, microphone in hand?

7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    An icon to mark Breast Cancer Awarenessmonth was refused.

As to an American flag icon: why? You guys have your own smiley: [face_flag] [face_flag] [face_flag] for your more patriotic moments. :(

Proud Canadian that I am, I have to agree. There's a lot of countries out there: are we going to do a flag icon for each of their national hols? If yes to Canada, why not to Romania? So I vote no, it has naught to do with Star Wars.

*Derisa*

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If there were to be July 4th icons, then could I request one of Bill Pullman, microphone in hand?

Hell, that might be the only one I AGREE to... ;)

9. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Howbout no ?

Things like a national only holiday (or a disease awarness month) have zero to do with SW.

10. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I say go for it, lets rock this party old skool yo.

Word to your mother. What would be overkill though would to be having 40 fourht of july icons. A few flags, humerous movie references fireworks... lets top it off at lets say ten.

As for Canada day... who would admit to being canadian? Other then that obvious problem there's nothing wrong with it.

11. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    How could you not like Canadians? We are the last of the true romantics for christ's sake?
    If it wasn't for Canada you wouldn't have Bryan Adams and that Summer of 69 song which is the best song ever.

On that note, I recommend a Bryan Adams icon for Canada day.

12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Fireworks icons for a generic "celebration" thing: that's a good idea, and a good compromise: fireworks (or the Death Star exploding) taken from the films would satisfy the SW requirement and the "local" argument as well.

Good on ya, *arraday.

*Derisa*

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I wouldn't have a problem with flag icons if you included one for every country we have a FanForce chapter in.

14. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Rox I'm not sure icon makers should be required to make a certain number of "fair icons".

If a FF wants to request an icon be made that is clearly okay, if they want to submit their own icon, no problem, but simply requiring one for every country is silly.

15. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    [image=http://www.idontfear.com/jc/crikey.gif]

16. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Silly gabe, everyone knows Australia's a myth, how could anyone live on the bottom of the world, they'd fall off!

17. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I wouldn't have a problem with flag icons if you included one for every country we have a FanForce chapter in.

How about the simple standard of any country for which a flag icon is submitted (assuming it meets certain minimum quality levels)? If someone wants a flag icon for their country and there isn't one, they can make it themself or get someone else to make it.

Kimball Kinnison

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Why are we even entertaining the notion of "generic" all-the-time flag icons?

STAR WARS.
    STAR WARS.
    STAR WARS.

Period.

If you want flag icons, they had better be of GFFA flags, e.g. the podracing banners. Otherwise hells no...

19. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000

I think that's ridiculous. Why should the JC be limited by FanForce interests?

As for a national holiday icon, if the JC can't approve an icon commemorating an entire month, then why one for a single day?

- Rani

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Just a thought, but couldn't people with a Fanforce somewhere in their country use that icon on their national holiday? No new uploadage, but lets that national pride in.

21. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    When are you erasing YJCC, FF, Senate, Amph, etc... dp4m?

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Why are we even entertaining the notion of "generic" all-the-time flag icons?

Icons are essentially handled by the JC side of the boards, but they affect FanForce as well. Already there are a few FF icons. Is it unreasonable to take them into consideration as we discuss icon policy?

There is more to the boards than just the JC, after all.

Kimball Kinnison

23. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Right after he bans himself for having a non SW related username.

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think that's ridiculous. Why should the JC be limited by FanForce interests?

Why not? FanForce does it all the time for the JC.

25. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Perhaps this entire thread and idea should be moved to FanForce Communications, as discussion of year-round flag icons would be more appropriate there. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.