main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC icon braggin' thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Mar 3, 2016.

1. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    He could take about an hour on the tower of power....

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Whatever, it's because he's your favourite mysoginist.

3. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Nah, just my favorite giant killer. Whereas your evil clown is a model of kindness and compassion.

4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Leia wearing a headscarf is her favourite image? Your daughter is hanging with the wrong crowd. [face_skull]

SuperWatto likes this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's Nyarlathotep. Notable for being the only final boss in an RPG who actually succeeds, as far as I'm aware.

6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    It's just some unicorn harpuah sent me one time

Darth Punk likes this.
  7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Calligraphy is a thing of beauty.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

in many societies it is considered the single highest art form

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Mine is a reverse Google image search if you want to know.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's no Lumpy / Fat 70s Stoner.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's not the rainbow puking unicorn I sent you. This one is...

[​IMG]

Oh, and mine is a nekkid rainbow hippie troll, because...well, yeah.

12. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Mine is a gold fish trying to jump out of its fish bowl.

AmySolo likes this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Nor is it even Snowpants Dork.

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I just love how smug Bugs Bunny is in my icon. It's awesome.

DavidSword79, AmySolo, tom and 3 others like this.
  15. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    bb8 creepin

AmySolo, tom, Rogue_Ten and 2 others like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Kinda boring right now -- just literally an XBL avatar of "me" in an Imperial uniform, photochopped by Dave to look like a grand admiral uniform.

But it does match with my name and colors so I'm fond of it.

I like him for the visceral storytelling aspect, but as actual history it leaves a lot to be desired (I want to hit him every time he is wrong about Roman politics, which is always). Also the Achaemenid one was nice, but mostly about the Assyrians -- which is fine, they're interesting -- but it's really silly to have an Achaemenid episode and then only talk about Cyrus for a tiny bit.

What would your fav history podcast be?

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    My icon symbolizes that I don't know how to change icons.

tom, Lord Vivec and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Copying Leia, you mean. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You knew how to load Bill Cosby though?

harpua likes this.
  20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

oh yeah. i forgot about that. that was irksome

hmmmm id have to say my favorite currently running history podcast has to be History of the Crusades. the australian woman who does those has just the right mix of exhaustive research and levity. she also has a very dream-like quality to her voice that is super relaxing to listen to. the podcast really kind of peaks in the first and then the third crusades, and has been a bit meandering of late in discussing the albigensian crusade. but if im rating podcasts on their overall run i have to pick hers

i know there are a lot of good ones out there that i havent gotten around to yet, so i imagine that could change. im just getting into History of Byzantium (not to be confused with 12 Byzantine Rulers, which i found disappointing and frusterating) and it's very promising so far. it aims to continue the narrative of the legendary The History of Rome podcast from where it left off with the final demise of the western empire

also, have you heard Emperors of Rome? that one's an interview format with the sort of techie/host guy interviewing classicist Dr. Rhiannon Evans (of LaTrobe University, more australians!!). its pretty interesting and probably more accurate/serious than Dan Carlin's treatment of roman history

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

It's so easy, man... I'll walk you through it, and you'll no longer have an excuse...

1. Hover over your name, up there in the top right corner.

[​IMG]

2. A list will pop up--select "avatar."

[​IMG]

3. Select an image that you have saved on your computer by double clicking on it.

[​IMG]

4. You'll get an "Upload Completed Successfully" message, and your av will be changed. Click "Okay." Your avatar change is done, man.

[​IMG]

AmySolo likes this.
  22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    wocky it would be honorable of you to choose that exact log-themed avatar

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    *JRPG, right?

Let's not confuse the two pls.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I'll have to check out History of the Crusades. That sounds interesting. And it's a period I know some about, but not a ton, so that's the right match.

I checked out History of Byzantium when I finished The History of Rome, and I had trouble getting into it. It seemed such a drop-off in comparison. Does it get better? I've actually continued with Mike Duncan's work and am enjoying his Revolutions podcast, where he had a similarly epic 55 episode treatment of the deep gritty details of the French Revolution. Sadly he ended just at Brumaire, but he did History of Rome-level surveys of Napoleon before he finished. Right now he's on Haiti, and I'm behind on that, but it's absolutely fascinating to hear about a revolution that's way more complex than I imagined.

I listened to the first few episodes of Emperors of Rome -- it was a little too survey-y for my taste, but I think it was because I'd have preferred the professor just talk instead of reply to the silly interviewer's questions. I only listened to the episodes on Caesar so far though, so that might color my opinion.

Currently I'm working through The Ancient World, which is awesome. The guy starts out at the dawn of Mesopotamian civilization, covers American, Indian, and Chinese civilizations to the extent the record allows, but mostly does an exhaustive study of the Near East going up to the start of the classical world. Then he leaves it, because everyone talks about it. His second series is even more interesting -- about the archaeological and linguistic rediscovery of the Near East in the 19th century. His third series -- which I'm currently on -- is about the surviving bloodlines of the losers of history (the Antonii and the Ptolemies) throughout the course of the Roman Empire, so it's parallel to typical Roman history but about regions you don't typically hear about like Armenia and Mauretania.

Also this is hugely off-topic and probably belongs in the podcast thread, but I'm a mod and this is your thread, so whatever. :p

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006