Icon Thread--Version 7: Don't underestimate the power of the icons...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by droideka27, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Didn't you guys try this same April Fools' Prank two years ago and ended up with a cuss fest that involved several mods? :p

Just a warning to the newbies today: Take a few breaths before you unleash what may ultimately be unwarrented anger at the mods. You never know if your getting your tail pulled or not.

Look forward to the new icons in whatever form they are once the April Fools' festivities die down. :)

Edit: Though I didn't think it was possible to upload THAT many Hasselhoff icons. [face_hypnotized]
  2. Corran_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh yeah, we have Barbie icons! [face_dancing] =P~ [face_dancing]

And all other, SW related icons, seem to be completely screwed up! That's soo cool! :cool:

[face_beatup]

Was the part about sending submissions via PM serious?
  3. Vana Force Ghost

star 3
    What kind of icons are the targets of those copyright restrictions? o_O
  4. Corran_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    All Star Wars-related icons. ;)
  5. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Oh joy. The insanity has spread to here too, where I thought I'd be safe. :rolleyes:
  6. jedikitty19 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    for easter can we have marshmellow peeps with lightsabers?
  7. MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head

star 6
  8. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [face_whistling]

Well that was a nice break - would have been even more so if Comms wasn't shut off for some of the day, but 'tis all in good fun. I had to seriously consider not logging in today though because I was sure my PM box would be overflowing with 1) "what's going on?!!1?!" 2) more Hoff icons.

Rest assured that the old set is safe, I just loaded them back up now so they'll be back to normal soon. [face_peace]
  9. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Seriously?

Are you seriously saying you do St Patrick's day and April Fools day but not Easter?

You have got to be kidding.

Right?

Tell me you're kidding, even if it's a lie, just tell me you're kidding.
  10. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    If she tells you she's kidding, will you shut up?

Most of the events that are recognized here are cultural, there are many users here that don't recognize Easter, and shouldn't have to be subjected to having it shoved in their face. Things like Valentine's day and St. Paddy's Day(and lets not put any illusions to what the majority of people think that day is good for) are something that in most cases, especially the majority of the users here, recognize, or at least are not offended by.
  11. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Anyone that is offended by a few Easter icons being "shoved in their face" needs to either not pick those icons for a day, or take a break and go outside for a while. :p

That said, I'm not sure if we're doing icons for Easter or not this year. [face_thinking]
  12. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    The only thing I find offensive about Easter is the 'Easter Bunny'. :)

I don't see why not, we did for St Patrick's day (which nearly everyone sees as an excuse to get drunk), we did St Valentine's day too and we just did April Fools day (a day of no relevance or meaning at all). There are also various other religious festivals as well, and Easter is the most important event on the Christian calender.
  13. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Don't get me wrong, I personally wouldn't be offended, but it seems like stuff like Valentine's day and St. Paddy's day, and April Fool's Day are kind of universally celebrated. Not everyone celebrates Easter, it's a Christian holiday. I'm not arguing against it in any way, but I can see how it might be offensive.

Especially if some people are going to bitch about things like April Fool's day banners.

Those other holidays are more social anyways, but I don't think it'd be fair to cater to one specific religion. We certainly don't make a huge deal about Christmas. We do a happy holidays theme. If we took the time and effort to celebrate every holiday imaginable, every day would be a new day, and banners, and icons, etc. would need to be updated continuously.
  14. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Oh I agree completely that there's no way we could possibly cover every one, and believe me if it were that way I'd step down right away! I just wanted to make sure what I said was said, so I said it. Which is basically what you said just now, so we're good. :)
  15. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    DVeditor: I should probably point out that both St Valentine's day and St Patrick's day are Christian holidays. If they're going to be done, then Easter should be done as well. I'm not saying every religious holiday be done, just the major ones. Seeing as Easter is the most important event on the Christian calender and Christianity is one of the biggest religions in the world, it should get some form of recognition, even if it is only a few icons, which is all I'm really asking for, and it's something I'd happily do too. I really wouldn't want some gaudy banner.
  16. Evil Incarnate Force Ghost

star 6
    It actually started out as a pagan holiday, which worshipped some kind of bunny god hatched from an egg. :p I'm not sure when the Catholics picked it up, but I know they didn't start it.

BTW, Catholics aren't Christians, they're Catholics. You can ask any priest, they'll tell you as much. ;)

BoT, I have one Icon I forgot to add to my last update, I'll be editing it in now.

Evil.
  17. Vana Force Ghost

star 3
    Why this flow of David Hasselhoff icons? :confused:

18. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Easter is actually a pretty big holiday here, and not just for the religious meaning. A lot of people are off on Good Friday and Easter Monday is a holiday both in the UK and in mainland Europe.
  19. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I'm not saying that having Easter icons would be a bad thing, I certainly celebrate it. I'm just saying, that one, arguing that the fact we make Valentine's day icons/banners, and silly icons/banners for AFD, doesn't necessarily mean that Easter should automatically get the same recognition. Like I said, it's not a huge deal, I just think that the consideration that not everyone at this site celebrates this holiday, and while unlikely, may still offend some.
  20. Evil Incarnate Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, and why were they made so poorly? :p

Evil.
  21. justicejedi Jedi Master

star 3
    [face_thinking] we wouldn't have to go all out for Easter, like the banners could stay the same and all. just a few icons would still be fun.
    [face_batting]
  22. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    We have Christmas icons so I see no reason why Easter ones should be avoided.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    If anyone hasn't asked already, I think we could really really really use a war rhino icon with "JCC" or "YJCC" written on it.
  24. DK_Force85 Jedi Master

star 4
    Umm...

What happened to my icon? Has it been pruned? :(

Edit: Nevermind, it's back!
  25. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Also, an icon of the Emperor's throne tower thing in ROTJ would be cool, but I don't know how it would work since there's not much contrast between the tower and the Death Star behind it.

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/d/d5/Emperor%C2%B4s_Tower.jpg]
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.