main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Icon Thread--Version 7: Don't underestimate the power of the icons...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by droideka27, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Don't bother loading the Bulls icon.
    They'll choke in the first round :p

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Like Kobe and the Lakers will?:)

3. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Eeth ain't no Lakers fan, so don't try to act as if you burned him. :p

4. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    Hey! Just because the Lakers are gonna get swept don't mean that I ain't gonna "wear" their icon proudly! :p

If for no other reason than Kobe IS the MVP of the league! =D=

5. KingoftheAT-ATs

KingoftheAT-ATs Jedi Master star 4

Jun 21, 2005
    Woo-hoo! [face_dancing]

6. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I would prefer to see an of upload the SW icons (we're waiting for them for more than one month now) than Hockey icons... and next time what will be uploaded again instead of SW icons? baseball, and next time soccer, and cricket? etc, etc -_-

Eh guys don't forget we're in Star wars boards, not sports boards, so SW icons should be uploaded first [face_frustrated] a lot of people around here are not american and do not care at all about hockey, cricket or soccer...

I don't understand why sports icons are uploaded immediatly, and SW icons two or three month after the votes :rolleyes:

7. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I understand your frustration. I offered an icon update over two and a half months ago and still ahve yet to see any of those in a vote, let alone in an update. And not all Americans are into hockey, cricket or soccer either. ;)

8. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I know! so what I said is even more important: all those "priority icons" of hockey, cricket and all are just for a minority on these boards, while the majority is waiting for months for SW icons updates.

9. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Are you feeling ok? It sounds like you have a high fever, and it may be affecting your rational thinking.

You do realize that hockey, cricket, and football(soccer) aren't an iota of a fraction as popular in America, as they are in other countries, right?

The sports championship icons are a time sensitive upload, because they only go on for a short amount of the year.

Plus, not for nothing, but the majority of the users here usually pick one icon, and stick with it, or change very, very rarely. Personally, I've used the same icon for almost three years, with the exception of holiday icons, and special event icons.

However, I'd suggest PMing DVeditor, if you have concerns about the length of time it takes to upload the SW icons.

10. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    And you do realize this is a Star Wars site and not a sports site, right? I'm fine with letting people celebrate their team colors and all, but they shouldn't take precedence over the purpose of the site. And I know plenty of people who change their icons frequently and can't wait to see what the artists around her have put together next. And for the record I've already expressed my opinions to DVeditor (twice) and nothing has yet to change.

11. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Sorry to say it, but even though this is a prominent Star Wars site, it's been expanding for the last few years, and believe it or not, there is actual discussion of topics other than Star Wars. There's the JCC, the SFF boards, the Amphitheater, the Senate, the Arena, and others.

The board has expanded, by bringing and keeping people here for Star Wars, but offering them alternate discussion boards for other hobbies. It's not a bad thing. However, until Lucas throws us fans another bone, it's perfectly logical to make this a multi-topic board.

I'm sorry if you disagree with having sports icons, and it's obviously a subject you don't find interesting. Point is, there are plenty of people here that do.

I'm sure you're an icon maker, so you're probably already offended, but so be it. You really need to address the people in charge of uploading via PM, instead of bitching about it in the open. Because, at best you're going to get three or four people in here to get their panties in a twist, and it will accomplish nothing.

12. KingoftheAT-ATs

Jun 21, 2005
    Uh... none of those are American sports... Americans don't like soccer or cricket either. Granted, we have adopted hockey (and soccer, I guess), so a lot of us like that, but that's beside the point. But, yes, I agree, Star Wars should take priority.

13. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Not to add to the arguments, but there are currently almost 4000 icons that are Star Wars related. (That's one reason why I stopped making icons...running out of source images.) A few sports icons shouldn't matter all that much.

And besides, weren't there Star Wars icons uploaded a few days ago (April 17)?

14. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    By the way, DV, more hockey teams have been eliminated: "New York Islanders", "Pittsburgh Penguins", "Minnesota Wild", and "Nashville Predators".

15. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I think everybody here knows that Star Wars is not only movies but also comics, that are released very often, such as Legacy, Kotor, Dark Times, and others. New books too, new characters, new video games... so it means new icons! the fans of Star Wars want to see their new heroes in the icon list.

How many Shado vao icons were picked up by the fans? I see plenty of them. And it's the same for other characters.

So yes, there are already a lot of SW icons, but new characters are created and so new icons are made.

And SW should take priority because it's the major thema of those boards, and the rest is only a minority. I wonder why sports icons are updated immediatly and not the SW icons. What's the problem? can't anyone update them alltogether?

16. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I've already explained that at least once. In most cases, the sports icons are made in advance. They are uploaded for championship/playoffs/finals situations only, and the uploads are therefore time sensitive, because they are immediately taken down as soon as a team is eliminated from contention.

As far as Star Wars having first priority here, it must certainly, and obviously does. Like someone else said, there are already over 4,000 permanent SW icons as it is. The temporary sports/special events icons are just that, temporary.

If so many people are jonesing for new Star Wars icons, at the rate you're suggesting, why aren't more people complaining about it in here, or to DVediter?

17. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Actually, from the way things look in here, the sports icons are made just a handful of days before they are uploaded, if that. And currently, there are some icons that have passed voting that we've been waiting to upload for (I wouldn't be surprised to say) weeks. So at the moment, your argument doesn't hold. And if you would read the posts being made, you would know that we aren't complaining about them being permanent. We're well aware of the fact that they are temporary. And you would also know that complaints have been made, bvut nothing has changed.

18. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    If you feel your complaints aren't being listened to, or the people that do the actual uploading, aren't doing it to your satisfaction, then PM an administrator and voice your concerns about the attention or non-attention you think your icons are receiving.

It's really not that hard to go to a higher up, and I can almost guarantee that none of the three administrators read this thread on any sort of regular basis, and therefore are more than likely oblivious to your concerns.

19. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I would be very happy if someone with some icon making skills would make a Dwight dressed as a Sith Lord icon from the Halloween episode of The Office (USA).

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    You wouldn't have done so well back when there were a measly few hundred icons or so. And even that seemed like a lot at the time.

How can people survive with only 4,000+ icons?

Also, Baron, is there any way to possibly try a Suns icon with a purple background instead of orange (just to see what it looks like)?

Or something like this? [image=http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/images/Team/suns_2.gif]

Thanks to A_J for that.

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

Pffft. :p

I think the reason the sports icons get uploaded sooner is that they are on a very limited time, there's not a lot of voting, and DV has had help uploading some of them, as others can (although not frequently) go in and upload. So Sape, gabe, or myself as well as others do it on the scheduled day, although 99% of the time DV gets it. And there's a scheduled day for those, because we know they won't be around but a limited time. I remember the voting process when I was an icon maker and it takes a while longer in those cases. I also remember being frustrated at the amount of source material due to the fact that we have so many. :( But I have to say, the icons made these days are of the best quality I've seen on the net, and the new ones are always interesting and fresh. Great job! :)

Edit: And that's an awesome Phoenix icon. :eek:

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Edit: And that's an awesome Phoenix icon.

which one?

23. KingoftheAT-ATs

Jun 21, 2005
    Yea, we should never run out of icons, because we should never run out of books, comics, and other things. Plus with the up and coming TV shows, we should get a lot more sources.

24. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
  25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Excellent! Thank you :).

Might it be possible to get uploaded?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.