main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Icons] nashira, the right choice for the icon manager?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I know this isn't the first time or the last time the administration has heard negative criticisim about the current icon manager, nashira, but this time i think it's time this is brought out in a thread to get some public opinions in here.

I'll have to admit that a month or two ago with nashira was promoted to Icon Manager, i really didn't think she was the right person for the job. It's obvious that after Grilled-Sarlacc stepped down, she was the first one picked simply because she was a mod with the "Icon Artist" title. I'm sure i wasn't the only one that groaned when i heard her taking the steps up to the stand. Don't get me wrong, nashira is a nice girl, but frankly that's not going to get us anywhere. If anyone else remembers, when she took over she was very cluttery in doing so...but everyone stepped back for a few weeks...let her make her moves as the new manager. We did that.

After about a month in, i'd lost faith in her already. I PMed Raven asking him to talk to her and try to get the thing going. I finally get a reply asking "what makes you think she's not doing a bang-up job". First of all, i didn't even know that phrase is allowed here. Second of all, i PMed him back some reasons and he simply said "oh, she'll get better, just give her time". I unwillingly said okay and here we are. The time is up. Thanks for the subtle comfort, bub. You can't tell me she's doing a great job when she hasn't made a decent update in weeks.

Also, nashira's leaving is becoming a big problem for us. When we're ready for a good upload she's never there, and when she comes back she doesen't make one worth sticks anyway. I've finally come to the decision that we need a new manager, not more "hold on" excuses from the administration. It's hard, yes, i know that, but no one is incapable of it. If so, they shouldn't be in power in the first place. [face_plain]

Personally, my vote goes to jace_mathem.

Any comments?

2. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Nice of you to wait 'till she left for vacation to post this.

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It's her problem if she happen's to miss it. This isn't the first "vacation" in question.

4. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Yes, I'm sure it was just bad timing.

This is how it was done before Grilled got in charge of the icons. She's not doing that bad of a job, you're just spoiled.

Oh, and I gotta ask, why the hell would the 'bang-up job' phrase not be allowed here?

5. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    I don't see much of a problem with Nashira being the icon manager, as Gabe says it's pretty much the same as when G-S was doing the job. The only thing that's not as good now is the uploading of the selected icons, but that's not Nashira's fault as she doesn't have FTP access to upload them herself...

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Did you ever bother to ask nashira yourself what the (apparent) problem was?

Did you realize that the only admin with FTP access right now is Raven?

Did you forget that this is the summer time, and most people are prone to being online less than usual?

Mighty convenient that you wait till she's gone to raise hell about this....

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Problems with the size of the upload and delays in making it are at least partially my fault and the fault of the boards. Shortly after G-S left and nashira and I took over icons, the icon tool got really, really buggy. At one point, it was easier to upload and set up a banner than it was to add a single icon. Zerosleep fixed that problem for me in the latest round of board upgrades.

8. Master-Mishima

Master-Mishima Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    Not to de-rail the thread or anything, but in addition to the others' comments on your timing, SOME, since when had is been ok to post information from others' PMs to you? Raven, if you gave permission, I apologise, however to me it looks like you (SOME) were using that as leverage in your agrument; to make it appear that you are more a victim than you should be. El drama-o.

As for the argument, I have no complaints against Nashira or the job she performs as Icon Manager. :)

Master Mishima

9. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    What is the precise problem with 'slow' updates?

10. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    I dont make icons or ever visit the icon thread , so I dont know if nashira is doing a good job or not .

but if she needs to be replaced I will take her spot .

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    A word of advice, that didn't exactly sell you for the job based on the credentials you outlined. ;)

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I think it is in bad taste to call nashira out on something she has no control over (FTP access, which appears to be the main problem). She was under no obligation to take over these duties but did so for the good of the community. I think it would have also been a bit better if you would have taken these issues to nashira first, or at least waited until she was back from vacation to make a thread of this nature and give her a fair opportunity to defend herself.

13. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Raven, were you uploading the icons only, or were you uploading them and adding them to the database. I'm just trying to get a handle on who did what.

¤Night

14. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Keep in mind it's the job of the artist to vote: perhaps some are missing, hence slower uploads.

15. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Frankly, your timing sucks with splashing this all over comms right when nashira leaves for vacation.

If you have had such a big problem with what she's done, why wait this long, and wait until now to raise a stink about it?

Technical issues are obviously beyond her control. Maybe if you took the time to ask her that yourself, you would have known that.

16. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I agree the icon making process isn't as smooth as it used to be, but I hardly think nashira is entirely to blame.

Icon makers were used to making icons, and getting them nominated, selected and uploaded every week. Since G-S stepped down, we've only had a few icon updates in how long? One month? Two? There doesn't seem to be a point anymore.

I have no idea why it suddenly tripped over itself, it's not a huge issue, but it's an issue.

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Raven, were you uploading the icons only, or were you uploading them and adding them to the database. I'm just trying to get a handle on who did what.

Uploading and adding them. Uploading is no problem and never has been. But adding them took up to 10-15 minutes each at one point.

And no, I wasn't asked if my PM's could be reposted. I'm not happy about them being reposted, but neither am I about to ban anyone for it in this case.

18. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    As far as a replacement goes, wouldn't the replacement HAVE to be a mod? Or is it possible for it just to be a VIP?

I am just curious about the technicalities about who can do what as far as icons go.

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    You need to be a manager because the Manage Icons tool is found under that title.

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'd have to agree with zacparis.

The icon process isn't what it used to be, but I'm not putting any blame on nashira. It may not even be her fault - I don't know what goes on with the technical issues with the boards. But with the lack of updates and sporadic small uploads to the possibilities page, I've lost interest. And like I said, both of those could be due to technical difficulties or that she's still learning the process.

21. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I've seen really no problems with nashira as Icon Manager, from an outsider's view point. The updates have been small, but anytime I've went to check out the section for new updates, I've always found some new Icons uploaded to choose from. I think that's an improvement, if anything.

If you had such a large problem with how nashira is managing her job, you should have least took it to PM with her, I think, before turning to anyone else, or making this post in comms.

She is a nice person, from what I've always seen from her, and would have likely appreciated the advice for improvements. [face_plain]

22. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm sure Raven is perfectly capable of handling the icons by himself.

23. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    Actually the icon process is better than it used to be. If you were making icon's when icon-making just started you didn't know when your icon or anyone elses icon was going to be uploaded. And usually the mod who uploaded the icons was so busy with other stuff you didn't get icon's but once a month or whenever they had time!

When I posted my very first set of icons. Everyone was asking when are we going to get more icons. The mod responded...

It's really a question of luck, between the moment I see your icons, and what free time I may have at that moment..

New icons being uploaded didn't become constant week to week or every other week until Kadue took over. Only to be improved upon by Grilled.

So me personally I don't think anyone is doing a bad job, yet. I would give nashira more time before thinking about changing.

24. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    The only problem I've had with nashira is that the possibilities page has had NO consistancy since its been made, icons go up, people vote, more icons go up, people vote more, more icons go up, theres no set on when the icons are uploaded. With G-S he simple uploaded the best ones of the week and kept it at that, maybe the day after he would upload one of two of people who had made some new icons, but after that everything went into the next week.

Look, she's doing the job and she's doing it willingly, but is she realy doing the job as good as it could be? In my opinion, no, but thats just my opinion. Obviously once she gets back off holiday she'll have to put her own opinion in the mix. Untill then there isnt realy much we can do.

25. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    We already have a BILLION icons, so what if the uploading of new icons is a bit slower than before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.