main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Icons] nashira, the right choice for the icon manager?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks for the reality check, Dingo. ;) :)

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Personally I think that people have actually got an elevated sense of importance for people that make icons.

So I shouldn't have it on my resumé? 8-}

3. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I was wondering what the criteria is to obtain an "Icon Artist" title. I was under the impression it has more to do with the quantity you submit and not the actual quality (ie what gets picked and actually uploaded).

4. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    I think once you've uploaded an icon, you are given the title. It's up to the icon manager to make sure those are of good quality...

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I thought certain users had their titles before anything was ever uploaded.

If it's just at the discretion of the manager in charge, and there's not real criteria, that would explain a bit.

6. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    eh... i'm not the best source on this. Turns out I was partially wrong. Read the first page of the Icon Thread for more info...

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah, it doesn't take much to get a title. I made a few one off icons I was hoping to use, all of a sudden I'm an icon artist. :p

8. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    I was wondering what the criteria is to obtain an "Icon Artist" title. I was under the impression it has more to do with the quantity you submit and not the actual quality (ie what gets picked and actually uploaded).

I'm not sure if it's the same now, but when I made icons (under the username DarkWoman) I got the impression that if you made icons (even if just a few) regularly, you'd be up for the Icon Artist title and that it was only removed if you hadn't made anything new for a month or two.

9. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Kyp could I just remind you that if there were no icon makers then you wouldent have the icon that you have today. Be gratefull for what you recieve, we (the icon makers) do this for free if we dident do it you wouldent get the icons, and I'm sure you wouldent want that, even though you might say you wont mind.

10. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    You have seen through the shield of denial I have put up!

I thank you for showing the error of my ways. Without you, I would have been leading a false life. I salute you, noble icon maker!

11. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Nashira is a highly capable individual, as she has shown time and again.

12. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I thank you for showing the error of my ways. Without you, I would have been leading a false life. I salute you, noble icon maker!

Well at least someone is taking this disscussion seriously.

13. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    "We don't have to spend 30 minutes a day making icons for the community when people like you step out and say you don't give a crap about us. You don't have to like us individually, but give us some *** **** respect."

This is why you don't get respect. You earn it, not demand it. And deciding to post this while she's CLEARLY on vacation is one of many, many reasons you get none. Be happy anyone uploads your icons.

14. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    All I know is that when G-S was in control there was always new icons, and organized icons.

Now there are board troubles (maybe not her fault) where icons are in the wrong place and there are hardly any new icons (not all her fault).

But I think there are problems with icons.

15. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Icon making is a fun process and speaking as a former icon artist and one who uploads them on boards, I know both sides. First off, G-S was amazing. Because if this board's icon upload set up is what I think it is, then I'm amazed he got so many uploaded so fast. This is not something where you just go to an ftp program select the entire group and click upload and in one minute, its done. If memory serves, this is where you upload a file, label it, choose category and move on. Hopefully the system isn't what i think.

Smuggler, I'm a little shocked by your thread, you frequent another board that I frequent. And on that board, I make icons. And it may take two + weeks or so for an admin to be able to choose the icons they want and upload them. And they can upload more than 1 at a time, since they don't label it. The point is, some of the icon makers here don't realize how good they got it. The system for icons here is very democratic. I've never been to another board where users voted on what icons to be uploaded. Normally admin chooses and uploads. And yay that's it. The title is a fair reward for those who volunteer to make icons. And a little patience for the person who adds them should be the reward for the uploader.

Seldon- Did you read that there is a bug in the system that caused mismatches and such. That was out of their control.

16. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Because if this board's icon upload set up is what I think it is, then I'm amazed he got so many uploaded so fast. This is not something where you just go to an ftp program select the entire group and click upload and in one minute, its done. If memory serves, this is where you upload a file, label it, choose category and move on. Hopefully the system isn't what i think.

No, that's pretty much it, 7 settings for each icon you have to set, with 5 or them being different or near-different for each icon.

¤Night

17. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    SOME- If you're going to talk about our pm's, at least be honest. You never opened a serious discussion about icons with me. You pm'ed me once about icon uploading, to warn me that there might be a "revolt". I replied that I appreciated the warning.

And you're right, I'm not as good at as GS was. I don't have the FTP acess to upload them as soon as I decide that enough people have voted. Which brings me to another point: When only 8 people are voting (as of my last update to the poss. page), it's awfully difficult for at least 7 votes on an icon. So that means I wait a little longer to see if anyone else wants to vote. And then I submit the upload to Raven. Sometimes he gets to it within a couple of days, sometimes he forgets about it for a week before I bother him again ( ;) ).

i really didn't think she was the right person for the job
    I'm curious as to why you thought I wasn't the right person for the job....before I even had a chance to start it.

she was the first one picked simply because she was a mod with the "Icon Artist" title
    Actually, no, I saw that DS and Raven were taking care of it, and I volunteered to take the position, as I knew they both had their hands full with other things.

This isn't the first "vacation" in question.
    you're right. I took a nice relaxing vacation moving a month ago.

Why would i make baseless accusations like that? I've PMed her multiple times.
    if you call once "multiple" , then you're right.

i've made over 1,000 icons in various archives, and yet not even 20 icons of mine have been uploaded.
    do I really need to say that quantity doesn't equal quality??

but can't afford to spend 15 minutes and upload a few icons onto their site,
    and
    Monotonous? Time consuming? What the hell are you thinking? When you take a shower everyday, it takes more time to do that than to upload a few icons.
    but you see, managing the votes, updating the HTML and uploading it all doesn't take only fifteen minutes. It takes about an hour. My husband's actually looked into writing a voting script for me, because he's seen how long the whole process takes.

If it's just at the discretion of the manager in charge, and there's not real criteria, that would explain a bit.
    it is. I don't have a "magic formula" for titles.

and I really, truly do appreciate that you waited till the day after I left for vacation to bring this up. :)

18. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004

^ =D=

take that people who questioned her .

19. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Amen Nashira. Good for you!

20. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Yeah, the real problem is lack of voting from artists.

21. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    GO nashira!
    I had my doubts but it seems to have nothing to do with problems you caused.

-Seldon

22. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Now that zerosleep has fixed the icon tool problems, icon uploads should also go faster.

Average time to upload 10 icons and add them to the system a month ago: 100-120 minutes.
    Time it took me to upload 10 icons tonight and add them to the system: 10 minutes.

23. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    nashira
    Title: Manager:
    JCC
    Icons

Date Posted: 2:57pm Subject: RE: [Icons] nashira, the right choice for the icon manager?

This post (too much to quote) = a mecha-bitch slap :)

24. OWN3D

OWN3D Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2004
    do I really need to say that quantity doesn't equal quality??

[image=http://www.techimo.com/photo/data/505/129711bikes-med.jpg]

25. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    That doesn't mean the rest of us want to be subjected to them, though

Wheather you agree with the poster or not that was an immature thing to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.