main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ICONS] New Manager?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Vassago, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
  2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I understand your point, I don't agree with it. Perhaps rather than repeating the same message, you should add additional reasoning. We understand what you are asking for, we don't agree. There is no need to repeat.

-Seldon

3. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Why does he keep posting the exact same thing?

Apparently, some have a problem understanding what he's trying to say, even if it is posted over and over. You'd think they'd get it by now, just as you'd think Mods would do their job. But I guess you can't expect too much from people. :)

4. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Darth-Seldon posted on 6/20/05 2:57pm
    I understand your point, I don't agree with it. Perhaps rather than repeating the same message, you should add additional reasoning. We understand what you are asking for, we don't agree. There is no need to repeat.

-Seldon
    [hr][/blockquote]

I never asked that you agree, merely that you take it into consideration. Though it seems you came into this topic with your mind made up.

I have added all the additional reasoning I can, [b]Seldon[/b]. I am truly sorry that some users, as I said, read but do not understand. I do believe my point is there, it is there for the benefit of another user, and it is harmless.

~Vassago

5. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Oh worry not, my mind is as open as the border between Mexico and the US. ;)

I understand exactly what you're trying to say. To you, understanding is agreement. If a group doesn't agree with you, you assume they don't understand you.

My mind was open and always is.

-Seldon

6. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    The way you came in here it did not seem as if your mind was open. Your mind was made up in your first post.

I didn't think the group would agree with my idea, but I also didn't think I'd be attacked as I have.

~Vassago

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Disagreement isn't attacking.

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    My mind isn't the issue here--it is the icon manager.
    I don't believe I've attacked anyone in this thread, though I admit to disagreeing--as is my right.

-Seldon

9. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Stop attacking, jeff!

10. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    No, but disagreement in the way that some users have expressed it could be precieved as such.

Darth_Ignant posted on 6/20/05 3:12pm
    Stop attacking, jeff!
    [hr][/blockquote]

Off topic? :|

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Darth-Seldon][b]Darth-Seldon[/b][/link] [b]posted on 6/20/05 3:11pm[/b][hr] My mind isn't the issue here--it is the icon manager.
    I don't believe I've attacked anyone in this thread, though I admit to disagreeing--as is my right.

-Seldon
    [hr][/blockquote]

I admit to proposing an idea--as is my right.

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Darth-Seldon][b]Darth-Seldon[/b][/link] [b]posted on 6/20/05 3:12pm[/b][hr] Paul, don't talk about me as if I'm not here.

-Seldon
    [hr][/blockquote]

Off topic. Mocking, baiting. :|

~Vassago

11. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Paul, don't talk about me as if I'm not here.

-Seldon

12. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Vassago, welcome to Comms and the dedicated forum hecklers. ;)

This topic needn't be this long. But yet again the nature of Comms has struck and people have to have their say, get in their jabs and take their shots.

I would suggest Vassago that you PM a moderator to change the name of the thread to [ICONS] Could we get someone to assist droideka with updates?

That is in essense what the goal is. As for this being a JC issue only it isn't. Fan Force uses Icons also. Perhaps there is an RSA that would be available to assist so that it is a cooperative effort between FF and JC?

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Tracy doesn't currently need any assistance, and the state of icons here at the JC is quite good, given that there are 3,033 to choose from at the moment.

14. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I'd like to say that it doesn't bother me one bit. I've followed this thread and am simply unimpressed by the argument that we need another icon manager. There are so many icons already, I can't say I'm bothered by any of this. The majority of users, including myself, don't even know when there's a new update.

15. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    FYI: I just finished reading this thread, and am about to start my long post. forgive me if it takes a bit.

EDIT: oh and right after the post i will do the icon update

16. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Darth-Vassago, if half of your supporters are Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, and the other half is you, what does that tell you about your cause? Think about it.

17. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    Goooooo Tracy.

18. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I really was surprised to hear about this thread, given I haven?t seen a single PM of complain about the icon process in months. Seriously, months. And I shouldn?t say complaints, because I?d count a ?hey when is the next update going to be? I thought it was going to be two days ago? as one of the PMs I?m counting. But not a single one.

I honestly wasn?t aware that the current system was dissatisfying. I know certain people feel there could be minor modifications made to the system, but it really seems to be working overall. As all of the icon thread regulars know, I am not a ?mother hen icon maker? (or whatever you want to call it). I do not post there 5 times a day complimenting icons and patting peoples backs, or offering criticism. Why? Because I do not make icons.. So I really don?t feel it?s my place or my job to do so. The icon artists generally get along really well, and I will check the icon thread every few days to make sure that is happening. I try to give warning of when the updates will be, but yes, sometimes I am late. Quite frankly, some weeks a ton of icons or made and it will take me over an hour straight to go through them all. If I skip a week, that means two straight hours. And I have to have access to the ftp servers which I do not have when at my parents? house. It is my opinion (and I know there are multiple people that agree) that it?s good to not have the icon manager making icons and super involved, as it?s easier to have biases come into play.

I really just don?t understand what is so wrong that you feel I am not doing my job properly.

I do admit fault. What is my fault is that I did not properly explain my absence. I definitely could have spent some more time explaining what was going on in my life, but I tend to not want to tell people I am not friends with everything that is going on in my personal life. But since I think it might be helpful, here it goes:

May 16-20 was my finals week, and of course ROTS, and I started my internship on Monday the 23rd. Now, this meant going from a light school schedule to waking up at 5:30 am and being in my truck or at work from 6am to 4 or 5 every week day. A major adjustment for me, and I get home exhausted. It is starting to get better now, but june has been so busy for me with family obligations that I have been spending the last three weekends at my parents? house with my three younger sisters. The last two weekends we have had my 3 grandparents and my aunt visiting us. Two weekends ago I was worn out and tired and posted ?sory guys, i have been really busy... we have family staying with my parents, and i have onc sister graduating from HS and one graduating from middle school, so i am going to have to just do a double update on saturday. sorry!?

Not the greatest post in the world, I will freely admit. This was on a Tuesday, and the following day I went straight from work to the orthodontist to get a wire removed, to my parents? for a family+relatives dinner, where I returned reasonably late. Thursday was my sister?s high school graduation, again, leaving directly from work to spend the evening with family. Friday my little sister went from 8th grade to high school (whatever you want to call it) so I went home again. As my grandparents are leaving tomorrow, I spent the whole weekend at my parents? a fact I was not aware of until Saturday morning though. I should have logged into the JC and posted in the icon thread but I just forgot. Sunday I was gone all day at the aquarium, a last minute plan, and again returned late to my apartment late so I could go right to sleep and make it through a ten hour work day today. In addition, my parents have cats, which bother my asthma/allergies a lot while I am there and it just adds to my tiredness.

Why am I going though all of that? Because it?s all weird exceptions. None of that stuff is going to happen in my next two months of work, and once I go back to school at the end of august I?ll be back to lots of free time.

I have been having a hard time

19. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    Even though I didn't read the post, I know it was awesome. :)

20. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Wow, that is very busy! Hope things calm down for you

And as a regular user, I don't care who makes icons, or where they go, or who is in charge. My icon seems to be working, so I assume droideka is doing a good enough job ;)

21. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Tracy, thanks for that great post.:) Many people feel you are doing a great job, which I agree you are.

22. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001

hmm...

23. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    In the first post, I stated that I had noticed a steady decline in the way the Icon Thread is run, and I also stated that there could be someone better to run it. Since then the posts within this thread have convinced me that replacement is not needed. Instead, an assistant could be a good idea.

I realize you are busy Tracy, and I don't pretend to overlook that. I also do not find fault with it in the least. As you said, some nights it can take upwards of an hour to go through all the icons. I was suggesting that around times like this perhaps someone to help you along (look over icons while your away, do updates and the like) when you don't have access would be helpful to you. This was merely a suggestion. I also asked that Malkie change the title of the thread to "Manager Assistance?" or something of the like, but he has yet to do so.

I will sincerly apologize to you for insulting you, as it was not my intention in the least. I find it easy to look over icons, myself, but you and I are two different people.

To be honest, I did not expect this thread to get more than a page and a half, at most two full pages. This has been turned into, what seems to me, like a war. I had no intentions of this. As I've said time and time again, I was making a suggestion. I wasn't "out to get" anyone...at all.

I understand what you've said Tracy, and I see that you do not need help. I would like to say that should you need it, please don't hesitate to ask.

In closing, I would like to apologize to Tracy if I have insulted you in any way, shape, or form. I am genuinly sorry.

~Vassago

24. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Did you have something you'd like me to address that i did not, brad? it is a longish thread i could have forgotten things. Or were you just posting because you can?

EDIT: Darth-Vassago, I hold no hard feelings against you, the whole thing just got taken out of proportion because you made a thread instead of keeping it within the icon circle, making it into a drama issue. It's really not a big deal. I will try to be more open in the future about my busy times.

25. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    In the future, I will be sure to address you directly. Once more, you have my apologies.

~Vassago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.