Icons Thread -- Version 12: Ask your icons questions here!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NYCitygurl, Sep 3, 2012.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Welcome back to our good old JC! In case you missed the thread on the temp boards, here's the situation with the icons:

You can make and upload whatever you want, within reason (keep in mind that these forums are family friendly, please). No restrictions on fandom (or whatever else).

Xenforo doesn't come with an icons gallery. I'd like to get one installed so icons people make and want to share can be uploaded for those who would rather choose than make, but that might take a while.

We don't have access to the old icons right now (which are too small, anyway). When we can get a gallery going, I"d love if people want to remake some classics/popular icons at the new size.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post here or contact me. If you'd like to share your icons with others, post them in the thread for now.
  2. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    For reference, the default size is 196x196. Icons will show up around the boards at different sizes, but this is the largest it needs to be.
    darthhelinith likes this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    I'm going to make HD versions of some of my old icons, at least the ones that got uploaded. I'll post them here.
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    In case you haven't noticed, Grimby made new SW-themed default icons to replace the generic male/female/? Xenforo ones. These are also based on gender.
    Humble_Jedi, jackg1 and darthhelinith like this.
  5. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Yes, those new default icons look MUCH better than the prior "male/female/?" ones.

Uploading icons/avatars on these Xenforo forums is so easy, though... easier than many forums since it will resize for you, allow you to drag the image when setting it, etc. So I wonder if a brief, stickied tutorial for those who just haven't tried it themselves yet may be worthwhile. It just doesn't seem like the demand for icon makers and galleries to choose icons from will be there anymore, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by eht13, Sep 4, 2012
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Hopefully NYCg will post icon instructions here. Maybe she can stick something in the first post.
  7. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    Can't thank Grimby enough for the new default icons. The old male/female/? ones were driving me mad. [face_blush]
  8. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Anyone else having a problem seeing... most...icons? I can see most of the mods', as well as a few folks (Valiowk, for instance), but 75% of the others are giving me the broken link symbol or, more often than not, are just plain blank.

This is probably addressed in another Comms thread. If so, I'll undoubtedly find it in a minute. :p
  9. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    It's on my to-do list :p If people don't want a gallery, that's fine; one less thing for me to do. (It's also pretty far down on Grimby's list of priorities, seeing as there are more important things to take care of first :p )

Barriss, are you still having trouble now? What browser are you using?
  10. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Firefox -- And yeah, still having problems. For instance, in this thread I can't see Eht13's icon. Haven't figured out what's wrong... I'll try another browser and see if I get the same results.

EDIT: 2 interesting points: 1) The icons work fine in my other browsers, even though my Firefox is up to date on everything; 2) Firefox doesn't display the generic JC icons you guys installed. It's just the ?-mark or the male/female symbol. Weird.
    Last edited by Barriss_Coffee, Sep 4, 2012
  11. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Cache issue, then. Clear your firefox's temporary files, and/or try refreshing any page with ctrl+f5 (which will do a page reload, but force a cache reset).
  12. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Things are displaying fine in Firefox for me. As Jello said, try clearing the temp files. (In Firefox, it's Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Network>>Cached Web Content>>Clear Now)
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Sep 5, 2012
  13. darthhelinith Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm going to redo some of my old icons.
    Thanks for the info on the default sizes, Grimby.

EDIT: I should also add I too love the new default icons.
    Last edited by darthhelinith, Sep 5, 2012
  14. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Still non-functional. Very odd. Not a major issue really... cuts down on distractions.
  15. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Do you have the Firefox Ad-Blocker? Maybe it's blocking something it shouldn't be. I have it installed and I'm OK.
  16. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I figured out how to fix it, although not the source of the issue. I registered as a sock, and all icons suddenly worked fine. I logged in again as BC, and now everything looks normal.

I suspect I'm not the only user who had the problem.
  17. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    You're not; it was reported at least once more, though I'm not sure the cause. I'd hoped it was your browser or cache.
  18. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    It seems to have something to do with the user end - I couldn't see, say, Sinrebirth's icon immediately after he uploaded it, but the next day I could. My co-manager in the RPF, Penguinator, said he had issues seeing any icons that weren't for managers for about a day, but I didn't have any issues with those. Seems to just be random cache/cookies nonsense.
  19. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Hmmm... well now I can see *most* people's icons, but there are a few still missing (although I'm positive I saw them earlier today). Quirky.

But it's a vast improvement over this morning, so it definitely seems to be straightening itself out.
  20. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm using Firefox, and I see every icon just fine...
  21. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
  22. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm just trying to understand. The icon I have now is (in Photoshop) 128x142, but it appears much smaller on the boards. In my profile it is proper size; are icons scaled down from their original dimensions on the actual discussion boards? Again, just trying to figure it out.
  23. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
  24. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Yes, the system automatically re-scales the image when it's uploaded.
  25. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    TBH: the image provided, doesn't give one much to work with.:p
    [IMG]
    If you can find a higher-res, I can modify to suit.
    I made this quickly, using a photo of a poster from one of D-Logan's signings...
    Last edited by SithStarSlayer, Sep 11, 2012
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza