main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Icons Thread -- Version Ten: The icons, they might eat you -- new thread!!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome to the 10th version of the icon submission thread. I, NYCitygurl, am the current icon manager. My job is to not only take care of our current images, but also to facilitate and oversee the selection of new ones. These are created by icon artists around the forums, voted on, and then uploaded by me.

This thread serves as the community for Icon Artists. Here, icon artists/makers post their icons for consideration. As one who creates icons, you should be critiquing each other's work, sharing ideas and comments, and generally participating to increase the quality of JC Icons as a whole.

Everyone is welcome to submit icons, though only users who contribute icons and post in this thread on a consistent basis are invited to vote on which icons should be uploaded. Remember, ANYONE can submit an icon, just make sure it follows the rules below!

Important Links

- JC Icon Menu
    - Icon Voting Page

Common Icon Questions

When is the next upload?
    Soon! Seriously, this depends on a multitude of factors that cannot fully be expressed here. I will do my best to keep you informed, however. Harping on about when it's going to be won't get it done any quicker, it'll just be annoying. However, if I am legitimately really late, feel free to bug me about it.

I can't find my favorite icon in the current upload - how can it be included in a future one?
    At any given time we have several hundred images being carefully considered for future use, and as a result only a percentage can be included in the votes each time around. If you make an icon that you really like and don't see it around the JC, you might try posting it for feedback in the icon thread or shooting PM me about it. Quick note here that doing one of those things will bring it to my attention and might make me put it in the next update (but no promises).

I don't agree with a decision that was made, what do I do?
    Please send me a PM right away - I assure you I will do my best to work things out for everyone. Nice persuasion and/or cake will make me give it some serious thought.

The Rules:

Icon Size

Icons can be three sizes:
    - 50x50, Regular
    - 90x30, Tall
    - 30x90, Widescreen

Icon Format

All icon submissions should be in .gif, .jpg, or .png image format.

Icon Content

All icons must be in some way Star Wars related, or related to other content created by LucasFilm, LucasArts, or other Lucas companies. Icons from official sources is preferred, but usually anything can qualify for the vote if it is modified in some way to tie it into Star Wars or other LFL material (example: Muppets with lightsabers). If it's not Star Wars (or otherwise applicable) it won't go up. I'm also going to say right now that I don't put up person/group icons, unless it's some sort of contest sanctioned by me and (if applicable) a forum mod. Speaking of which, if your favorite forum is lacking in forum icons, feel free to PM me and/or the forum's mod and talk about it. We'll be sure to get some up asap.

Any upcoming films that fit into the Science Fiction and Fantasy: Books and Comics and Science Fiction and Fantasy: Films/Television forums can have icons up to the release of the book/film in the US. If you see a new film being talked about in SFF, feel free to submit icons for it just as you would regular ones.

Sporting events discussed in The Arena can also have temporary icons during the event - please contact me for details or

2. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, now that I've finished stealing and butchering DV's official-sounding first post (love you, DV!), down to business.

First of all, to introduce myself to those of you i don't know or who missed my post in the other thread - hi. My name is Natalie, but most people around here just call me Nat, and you're all welcome to do the same. I answer to either and to any variation on my username (though note that the g is lowercase ;) ). I hope to get to know all of you who I don't know, and fun should ensue. If you don't know me, feel free to drop me a PM anytime; I'm always up for chatting :)

As I have Ultimate Cosmic Power (or the ability to upload icons, at least) we're going to get started. I'm still kinda new at this, so please be nice ;) And when DV gets back, he can finish teaching me the ropes so that everything goes smoothly.

First things first: V-Day icons. They're lovely and they'll finish going up (I apparently didn't get them all) and for those of you who noticed that dimensions are off . . . oops [face_blush] Fixing that. Also, new ones would be awesomesauce.

Second: Clone Wars. The lovely Garth PMed me a bunch that his guys made that are sort of "emergency" icons (aka must go up now because we're seriously lacking). However, new TCW icons and icons from new EU material are awesome. These are our new mediums so we're running with it (and by running with it I mean make icons please :p ). I've recruited the LACWAC/Lit/EUC boys+horsey to help out, and I believe the EUC Senate is getting cracking. However, you know how they always say "Less is more?" They're wrong. More is more. It's basic English ;) So, any that any of you have would be great.

Just to kind of recap on JC-specific icons . . .
    General forum: yes, if a forum doesn't alreay have a lot
    Fan Force: see right above
    SFF: see way above
    Specific group/user: see right above
    NSW: no
    Problems: see me

In other news, I'd like to split the EU category into 2-4 categories based on era. I haven't decided where the splits are going to be because there are 50 pages of EU icons (yeah, I went through all those last year . . . and that's why we're splitting). So if anyone would like to help, I'd be eternally grateful. However, thanks to the "upgrades," we can't make new icon categories (yes, that's why the V-Day ones don't get their own space). Yet, anyway; I plan to badger someone until that gets fixed :p So that's kind of a "future plans" thing.

Also - for those of you who are new to this, icon makers don't get titles or colors. However, if you guys are up for some sort of contest where those things can happen, PM me and we'll chat :D

I can't think of anything else, Serious Business or otherwise, so see the post below for our (at least temporary) new voting methods.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    So, temporary new voting system, complete with next round of votes.

I'm going to post the first 51 icons. Icon artists (aka anyone who has created an icon within the last six months or anyone who has had several icons uploaded), take a look (sorry for the lots of clicking, but I can't show themh icon-size anymore . . . oh, the "upgrades" . . .), pick out the ones you want, and PM the numbers to NatalieSock (such an original name, I know) within the next five days (so you have through the 8th). I'll upload the popular ones and move on to the next fifty or so.

I'm sorry I can't include everyone's, but it takes hours to upload them all individually, and after we get through the backlog there might not even be 50 a round. I think I grabbed every icon (unless it was a V-Day one or was deemed so important by me that it was just uploaded - I think there were two of these) except those by two artists, who we'll vote on next week. If yours were lost in the between DV and me or by DV or by me, repost 'em here.

Don't post your votes here or PM my regular username, or I'll eat you.

Icon One
    Icon Two
    Icon Three
    Icon Four
    Icon Five
    Icon Six
    Icon Seven
    Icon Eight
    Icon Nine
    Icon Ten

Icon Eleven
    Icon Twelve
    Icon Thirteen
    Fourteen
    Icon Fifteen
    Icon Sixteen
    Icon Seventeen
    Icon Eighteen
    Icon Nineteen
    Icon Twenty

Icon 21
    Icon 22
    Icon 23
    Icon 24
    Icon 25
    Icon 26
    Icon 27
    Icon 28
    Icon 29
    [l

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    So how many of those are mine, Natalie? ;)

5. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Voted

As far as I know all of the ones by me sitting on the new (or is it old now?) voting site are "to be voted on" although some may already have votes on the old system, so I'm not sure how you are going to handle all of those. For now would it be best for me not to upload any more?

6. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Just voted, thanks for this Natalie!

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Quite a bit are yours, Katana :p And you're welcome!

By the way, I'm not going to open any PMs on the sock until the voting is over, so if you have any questions, don't send them there.

Old, new, not sure :p I'd like to have that system or something like it, since this is harder for everyone. But for the time being, just stop uploading them there and post them all here.

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Voted.

Looks great, Nat! :D

I'd be happy to help with the EU icons. Just let me know what you need me to do. :)

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I've been working on some, I just need to clean them up as there's some white space around the edges that I didn't notice when I made them.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    *pops in to look at Nat's shiny new thread* Ooo.. pretty!

*then looks all cute and pitiful hoping someone will makes some Ben Skywalker icons* [face_batting] [face_praying] I would love you forever! [face_love]

*goes back to lurking in thread since she couldn't make an icon if her life depended on it* :(

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks guys [:D]

EU icons I'm not sure yet - EU and Lit are still pow-wowing, I think. But thanks for your offer - I'll be sure to let you know :D Though it appears that we need a couple Ben Skywalker icons :D

12. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I'm really glad to see some movement here of new, non-event icons :D

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    6 Ben Skywalker icons!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/BenSkywalker1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/BenSkywalker2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/BenSkywalker3.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/BenSkywalker4.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/BenSkywalker5.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/BenSkywalker6.jpg

They just need to be converted

And please don't ask me why Luke looks like the Virgin Mary, he just does.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    As it turns out, I was being an idiot and can actually upload .jpgs [face_blush]

15. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    ^^^

D'oh! I just converted a bunch to gif....grumble...

I'll post some more of mine tomorrow, if I remember.

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/a/a9/Rex_CN.jpg]

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    NYC, I hate to rush you but Fanboys is out today and it might be nice to have those icons up if you can.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Were they in one of your posts? (I'm so sorry, if they weren't in yours or MS's or Thrawn's I lost them in the other thread.) But if you repost I can get at least some of them up tonight.

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Here they all are. You going to see it NYC?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/fanboys8.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/fanboys7.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/fanboys6.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/fanboys5.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/fanboys3.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/fanboys.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/Fanboys9.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/icons/Fanboys10.jpg

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks!! Nope, I'm in a little midwestern college town; I don't think it's playing here.

Edit - but the Fanboys icons are up, thanks a bunch!!

20. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Yay! They're up! Thanks NYC!

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you so much, Katana for making the Ben icons! [:D] [:D] They look awesome! You rock!!

(Oh, Fanboys is out?? Sweet! :D )

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You're welcome :)

23. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
  24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
  25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Those look awesome!!

Okay, voting for the first round is closed. I'll start the second round and start getting icons uploaded in a few hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.