main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'd Do It All Again - A Skywalker family reunion...sort of *THE END!!!! 10/13*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by inez_the_swampgirl, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    Did I get the first reply?

Cool.

Great post! :D

Chewie seems a lot more....loquacious and detailed in his vocabulary than his vernacular generally leads us to believe.

What a body blow to Yoda and Obi-Wan, to realize how the Order had deteriorated so badly. I'll bet that Yoda likely had seen a different Order when he was still a padawan, and kept seeing that same idealized version as the reality changed around him.

For Obi-Wan, it would be a lot different as his Jedi career was essentially during the build-up to the Clone Wars, when people began to think worse of the Jedi. It took Padme's words to make him realize the truth.

I think that the Old Republic and the Jedi began their collapse at the same time. Just as the Republic was slowly yet surely crippled by problems from within (which allowed Palpatine his chance to capitalize on it), the Jedi were crippled by complacency and their isolation from the general populace. I think the fact that they were dissuaded from forming any close attachments was a part of this. They weren't able to regularly interact and get input from outsiders.

Luke says he wants to "complete a redemption". I'm presuming he's referring to Anakin when he says that. He wants to find a way to bring Anakin back to the Light Side now...not twenty years later. The other part of this, is that I think he'd like to find a way to save the Jedi in the past by making the surviving members a part of the restructuring. Instead of starting over with no knowledge of the Old Order and its teachings, the members of the Old Order help instigate the changes themselves.

I'm also guessing that the way Luke sees of preserving what's left of the Order is to save Anakin now. Without his main henchman, Palpatine would be severely crippled and restricted in his ability to hunt down the Jedi.

I can't wait for the next post. I'm looking forward to seeing what their specific plans are for getting Anakin back.

2. JediMasterKobe

JediMasterKobe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Yeah, I agree with TorontoJediMaster. :)

Hey, can I call you TJM?

3. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Great post inez

Ouch! That's a hard blow but it is the truth. And the truth sets beings free.

I agree. The Jedi fell long before Palpy came along, he just used the slow event to his advantge and finished it quicker than it may have taken if he had never be born.

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

That's a great post, inez! And congratulations on finishing the story and graduating to 'Jedi Writer' status!

Onto the post:

This post demonstrates one of the reasons why I love your story so much. You go back into SW history we all know and see and then suddenly reveal a viewpoint we've never seen before, and may never even have thought of before, and make it so interesting and wonderful! Of course, Chewie would know about the Jedi from way back, and Han being a decade older than Luke and Leia would have learned a bit about them before their downfall (although Han was actually a good student in the rare instances he was allowed to go to school)

In any case, I loved it!

...and Toronto, Han was so totally correct in his assessment of the Jedi, and you don't even have to courtesy to give him his due, I see. :p inez gives perfectly valid points for Han's lack of respect or even interest in the Jedi...

...quickly sends inez another plate of cookies. :D :p

5. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    ?So sure are you, that your way is better??
    ?No Master, but it is the only way we have. We cannot go back, only move on from where we are.?
    ?And where are you??

My goodness Inez. I'm entirely breathless. Chewie was great. I never would have remembered that he's so much older than all of them. I loved Han's honest opinion on the Jedi as well, and Padmé's hindsight is most definitely 20/20. I'm very glad that Luke did not surrender to his Masters and his own inferiority complex in this matter.

To wrap this up, Congrats on an awesome post!

;) Paige

6. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Great post Inez.

~~Jilly

7. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Mom Thanks so much :)

Toronto Thank you. Yes, I wanted to Chewie to actually have conversations in this story. I get tired of the authors that treat him as a remarkably well-trained pet. Although, it's kind of supposed to be understood that he's still speaking in Shiriiwook. ;) Anyway, yes Obi-wan and Yoda needed a wake-up call. I think they got it. One last thing, ignore LadyPadme. She's a hopeless Han fanatic. :p

Kobe Thank you! :)

Bulldog Yep, sometimes the truth hurts too. [face_mischief]

LP Muchas Gracias! :D You don't know how much that means to me. I love it when someone finds a new twist on an old theme or a new way of looking at something. And ignore Toronto. He's a hopeless Anakin fanatic. :p

mmmmm..... cookies... mmmmm....

Paige Thank you very much. I figured our heroes are old enough to hold back their whining tendencies. ;)

Jilly :)

Inez

8. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    great post, so the Jedi get a rude awakening

very good work

9. TorontoJediMaster

Oct 14, 2001
    Don't worry.....I always do. :D

I think that without Palpatine, the Jedi Order would likely have had some type of internal collapse at some point. However, I don't think there would have been purges and the mass slaughter of its members.

Oh, I did like that Han apologized for his initial rudeness to Ben, when they met on Tatooine. :D

10. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Go Padmé! Put those Jedi in their place! Make them think about it for a minute there!

Loved Chewie's little speech. :D

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

11. TorontoJediMaster

Oct 14, 2001
    You ever wonder what Chewie and Han's conversations are like when they're alone in the Falcon.

Does Han repeat back what Chewie says to him when they're alone too? :D

12. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Hey, there's nothing wrong with being a hopeless Han fanatic. (And this comes from a hopeless Luke fanatic.)

Congrats, Inez, on a great story. Yoda and Obi-Wan got the wake-up call they needed. Loved seeing Han and Chewie's viewpoints. (And I'm soooo looking forward to seeing Chewie in Episode III.)

Now, are you going to do a sequel?

13. inez_the_swampgirl

Apr 14, 2002
    forceaddict Yep, I think they deserved it a little.

Toronto Yeah, Han's mellowed a bit... but not too much. :)

DoY Heehee, thanks.

Jedi-2B Thank you. No, there's no sequel to this fic. I am working on another fic though. It is long from finished as it will be a lot longer than this one. I've decided I disliked the NJO so much, I needed to write a whole new intro to it. The new fic starts a couple of weeks prior to the Peace Treaty and will cover about a year. Actually, it will be more like a third book in Zahn's Nirauan duology.

I'm not comparing myself to Zahn in any way, but I always wondered what happened after Vision of the Future, and I wasn't happy with where and how the NJO picked up the storyline, so I'm writing my own take on it. :p Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to throw out Union (which I did like mostly) altogether for my story since it doesn't fit into my overall timeline. I hope everyone will like it when I'm done. :)

inez

14. LittleLeia56

LittleLeia56 Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2003
    Up UP Up and one more thing UP

15. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Inez, I'm so glad you're finished with this thing and can post regularly again. I'm really looking forward to the resolution of this story. As for your next fic, even though I know absolutely NOTHING about the SW universe after the end of RotJ, and I tend to stick with prequel fics anyway, I may just pop in to see what you come up with! Good luck with it!

16. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    nice post :)

17. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Wonderful post, Inez! I just love Han, Chewie, and Padmé's insights. I can't wait to see how the rest of the story turns out! :D :D :D

18. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    OKay man...this was beyond awesome....

I can't say more because I am not coherent...going to sleep at 1am and waking up at 6am does not sit well with me! LOL!!

I can't wait for more though....

19. inez_the_swampgirl

Apr 14, 2002
    Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all your encouragement. :D

My ten-year high school reunion is next week and my husband's is this weekend, so we're going to be gone for about ten days starting this Friday.

In the meantime, I'm leaving you with an extra long post. I'll be starting the VERY LONG epilogue when I get back. Have a great week everyone!

*places a box of Kleenex on the table*

Inez

----------------------

Luke grinned. ?Some I?ve told you already. For a time, there was only me. I passed on what you taught me and I have found some records to fill in the gaps. There are now over a hundred Jedi in our time. We still struggle with the fear of others, but more and more are becoming accustomed to having the Jedi as a presence in the galaxy again.?

?More, tell me.?

?Palpatine destroyed almost everything he could find in the way of records and teachings. Some, he adapted to the Sith ways.? Yoda and Obi-wan cringed. ?But we have been able to find remnants; the largest being Chu?unthor on Dathomir.? Yoda?s ears perked up and Luke smiled. ?Yes, Master. It was a great help.? Luke?s smile became wider. ?Mother Rell asked after you.? Obi-wan?s jaw fell as he witnessed a sight he thought he?d never see. Yoda blushed.

Luke continued, ?I started an academy on Yavin IV.? At Yoda?s expression, Luke quickly added. ?Exar Kun is gone.? Mara snorted in disgust. ?I told you we uncovered the ruins of the Jedi Temple, or part of it at least. The facilities on Coruscant are primarily administrative. We maintain our independence from all governments.?

Leia nodded and spoke. ?All the Jedi facilities are funded by private accounts and a pre-paid grant from the New Republic which does not require repayment of any kind. Luke and the other Jedi are under no obligation to take sides in any matter.?

?How is that possible?? Padmé asked.

Leia smiled. ?The Alliance knew that trade wars led to the Clone Wars. We learned during the Galactic Civil War that trade,? she smiled at her husband, ?however illegal it was at the time, was the backbone of our economy. For many in the Rebellion, it was the only way we survived.

?Palpatine limited all interplanetary trade. He disbanded the Senate after he removed most of its authority. The Empire was nothing more than a military state. When Palpatine died and the Empire erupted in chaos, the Alliance already had a strong trading partnership with several worlds.?

Leia turned to her mother. ?The New Republic is primarily a trading partnership among member planets. All members are required to trade with others in some way and supply resources for the New Republic. The New Republic in turn provides protection should they need it and mediation during disputes. Almost all the Jedi are citizens from New Republic member worlds and therefore are not considered an entity to themselves.?

Leia grinned. ?The grant is technically recorded as a charitable donation to a ?facility of higher learning?.?

Yoda?s eyes became wide, not knowing whether he should be offended or find this amusing. Luke looked slightly embarrassed. Padmé bit her lip and asked, ?And how has the New Republic fit into all this??

?We don?t,? Leia answered. ?Member worlds are represented in the Senate, just as before, and things are discussed endlessly just as before. But everything must be finally approved by the High Council who are elected by the Senate. The High Council elects a President, which happens to be me at present. I act as head of the Senate and can command the New Republic Armed Forces.?

Leia sighed. ?There are some who wish to see the Jedi controlled as they think it should be. There are some who wish the Jedi never returned. But there are more who welcome them back.?

?Count yourself among the Jedi, you do not?? Yoda was curious at Leia?s detachment.

?Of course I do, Master Yoda, but when speaking in matters of the New Republic, I must remain neutral.?

Yoda nodded and sat back to think on what he had learned that day. After a lo

20. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    *takes tissue* Beautiful goodbye scene. too bad they couldn't stay longer. *sigh*
    Have fun at your reunions. :)

21. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    great post

the ending was great

22. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Oh, inez!

I wanted to say thank you for giving us such a wonderful story! It was a beautiful recounting of the events of the past and you had such brilliant insights and plot twists in the story, as well as great action, humor and drama. It was enjoyable all the way through, and I'm so glad that I followed the link in your sig to read this.

Looking forward to the epilogue!

Have a great time at your reunion.

...and did I remember correctly that you had a sequel in the works? [face_hopeful]...

* sends inez a bottle of cyber champagne *

23. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    *wipes tears out of her eyes* That was beautiful. Bittersweet. Yoda confers on Luke the title of Jedi Master and then Leia and Luke have to say goodbye to their mom.

Uh, that Jedi Master, Yoda was talking about, would that happen to be Qui-Gon?

Great post and ending, inez and have fun at your reunions.

24. TorontoJediMaster

Oct 14, 2001
    Nice post, with the background of how the Jedi work in the future?

That's the end??

THE END????

THE END????????

I was expecting that the group from the future was going to try and find some way to save Anakin in the past. As Luke and Leia said at the start, if they weren't meant to try and change things, why would they be able to interact with Yoda and other others in the past?

Or, does the information that Obi-Wan, Yoda and Padme learned give them a way to formulate some type of plan now?

Just what's going to be in the epilogue anyway?

25. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *sighs* You'll see what's in the epilogue when the rest of us do, Toronto. And things don't always turn out as you might expect.

Wonderful post, Inez! I really like that Yoda conferred the title of Jedi Master on Luke. :D Can't wait to read the epilogue - and the new story! :D Have a great time at the reunions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.