main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I'd Give Anything -- (AU, Luke and Ben) Re: Ben Skywalker Challenge--1/11 Even More Author Replies

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by mavjade , Jan 8, 2006.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Title: I'd Give Anything.
    Author: mavjade
    Timeframe: Post NJO
    Character(s): Luke and Ben Skywalker
    Genre: AU
    Summary: What would Ben give to bring his twin sister back
    Disclaimer: Star Wars and its likeness belongs to George Lucas. I own nothing, nor did I make any money off this
    Authors Notes: This is a response to the challenge set in the http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/15987812/p1/?240]Ben[/url] Skywalker: So Much Potential, So Little Attention Thread
    A big thanks to my Master NYCitygurl for betaing this for me! [:D]
    I have plans to continue this with Ben at an older age, so if anyone is interested let me know!

Challenge: What would Ben do to make his deepest dream come true; bringing back his twin sister who died when they were five.

5/10/15 - Truncation fix
    ~*~*~

Five-year-old Ben Skywalker knew something was wrong. He had been awakened by the sound of his mother’s terrified cry, something she never did. Now his entire family was here at their house and everyone seemed sad. Sitting on his mother’s lap, he watched as his uncle Han hugged his father, tears streaming down both their faces. His aunt Leia sat beside he and his mother with her arms around both of them.

Mara was holding on to Ben for dear life, as if he would disappear if she were to let go. He was now her only child; her baby girl was one with the Force. Lost to a mysterious killer, for five-year-olds didn’t just die in their sleep.

Leia said nothing as she held both Ben and Mara, knowing there was nothing that she could say to help. No platitudes would make her pain go away, or bring her child back. Leia knew this, for she had been down this road, having lost her son a few short years before.

Ben looked up at his mother, “Momma, where’s Bwen?”

A sad face looked back at him. ”She’s gone, baby.”

“Where did she go?”

Hearing the conversation, Luke decided that they it would be best to explain to Ben where his sister had gone in private.

“Come on Ben; let’s go to your room,” Luke said while picking him up off Mara’s lap.

Leaving everyone else behind, Luke carried Ben to the room he once shared with his twin sister, Brynn. Luke set him down before on his bed before sitting down to face him. He took a deep breath before he set about trying to explain the concept of life and death to his young son.
    “Ben, do you remember the story we told you about your cousin Anakin?”

Ben thought for a moment. “How he saved all the Jedi but then had to go away and he can’t come back?”

“Yes,” Luke answered with unshed tears in his eyes, “he is one with the Force, and Brynn has gone to be with him.”

Finally, realizing that his sister was gone and wasn’t coming back, Ben began to cry.
    “Why, Daddy?”

Pulling Ben onto his lap and wrapping his arms around him, Luke tried to think of an answer. “I don’t know, buddy, I just don’t know.”

Ben continued to cry in Luke’s arms until he had completely exhausted himself and he could no longer stay awake. Luke laid him down on his bed and pulled the covers up around him

For a few moments, Luke just stood there watching his only child sleep, then finally gave him a kiss on the top of his head. “Sleep well, my son.”

~~~~

A few days later, a funeral was held for five-year-old Brynn Skywalker. Friends and family came from all over to be with Luke, Mara and Ben; to pay their respects to a little girl whose life had been tragically cut short.

Afterwards, the Skywalkers went back to their home, needing to be away from everyone else, needing to be alone. Fearing that this was all too much for little Ben, they wanted to get life back to normal as quickly; as normal as their lives could be, missing one of them.

After laying Ben down for a nap, Luke went to be with his wife. He found her sitting on the sofa, curled up in a ball, staring at nothing with a blank look in her eyes. Climbing in behind her, he wrapped his arms around her and laid his head on her shoulder. No words were spoken, nor were tears shed, for words could not express the loss of a child, nor could they restore life to one who was lost.

~~~~

Walking into his son’s room, Luke stopped in the doorway, puzzled by what he was doing. All of Ben’s possessions were piled on top of, beside, and underneath Brynn’s bed. His favorite stuffed Bantha was sitting on her pillow, his toy X-wing right beside it. His clothes, or all of the ones his small little arms could reach, were neatly lying on the floor beside her bed. Even the sheets off his own bed were piled at the foot of hers.

His curiosity peaked, Luke asked, “What are you doing, son?”

Sad eyes turned to face him, “If I give Bwen all my things, do you think she will come back?”

Finally he understood what Ben was doing. His son was willing to give up everything, in his little mind, to have his sister back, piling all his things on her bed so she could see that the things were hers to take.

Sitting on the floor next to Ben, Luke gave him a sad smile. ”I’m sorry, buddy, she can’t come back, not even for all your things, but—”

“Then… what if I go,“ Ben interrupted, “and she came back. Then maybe you and Momma wouldn’t be so sad.”

At this, Luke’s heart completely broke. Taking a few moments to gather his thoughts, he finally said, “No, Ben, Momma and I would be very sad if you left, too. I’m afraid there is nothing that we can do to bring Brynn back, even though we all want her to very much. But we will always love her and she will always be with us in our hearts. Do you understand?”

With small little tears running down his face, he nodded. “Some day, I wanna be a Jedi like you and keep people from going away.”

Luke gently enfolded Ben in his arms and whispered, "I know, son. I know."

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is beautiful!! I love the way you showed the emotions of a family who has just lost a child :_| Wonderfully written =D=

And I'm very much interestd in a sequel :D

3. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    With small little tears running down his face, he nodded. ?Some day, I wanna be a Jedi like you and keep people from going away.?

Oh gosh - ! How sad. :( I was getting all teary along with Luke when Ben was offering all his items in hopes that his sister would return. Wonderful response. Is there a continuation in the works?

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Wonderful. =D=

With small little tears running down his face, he nodded. ?Some day, I wanna be a Jedi like you and keep people from going away.?

:_| That line broke my heart. Little Ben sounds and awful lot like his grandpa Anakin with those words.

5. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    After laying Ben down for a nap, Luke went to be with his wife. He found her sitting on the sofa, curled up in a ball, staring at nothing with a blank look in her eyes. Climbing in behind her, he wrapped his arms around her and laid his head on her shoulder. No words were spoken, nor were tears shed, for words could not express the loss of a child, nor could they restore life to one who was lost.

Okay, by this point I literally had to stop reading for a minute because tears were blurring my vision. That was so sad! :_| :_| :_| Very well done, mavjade!!!

6. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    :_| :_|

Poor Ben! I hope he can find a way to get though this pain.

7. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Yes, and we all know how well that worked out.

Wonderfully written! I really need to stop reading all these sad fan fics! I'm gonna be a crying gumball at the end of the day (whatever that is).

Good job! Would like to see more!

8. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    My poor Benny. So sad and very well done.

9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    To all: I am planning to do either a sequel, or a continuation of this (I haven't decided which yet),about Ben at an older age. I don't know how long it will be before I get it up with the new semester starting, and my really hard schedule ,but hopefully sooner rather than later. If anyone would like a PM when I do continue please let me know!

Nat:
    This is beautiful!! I love the way you showed the emotions of a family who has just lost a child
    I can't say I have ever experienced such a tragedy, I couldn't even imagine...but my fiancee's mom lost a sibling when she was very young so I took some of what she said it was like and adapted it. I hope I did it justice!

Wonderfully written
    Thank you very much!

And I'm very much interestd in a sequel
    :D
    You'll be the first to know:p

MirandaFair
    I was getting all teary along with Luke when Ben was offering all his items in hopes that his sister would return.
    Yeah, that I was getting a little teary while I was writing it...and my fiancee just laughed at me when I told him why.:p

Wonderful response
    Thank you!

Is there a continuation in the works?
    Yes there is :)(see the note at the top of this post for more details)

JediMaster_Jen
    Wonderful.
    Thanks!

That line broke my heart. Little Ben sounds and awful lot like his grandpa Anakin with those words.
    That was exactly what I was going for...I hoped the similarities would be caught![face_whistling]

Meredith_Kenobi
    Okay, by this point I literally had to stop reading for a minute because tears were blurring my vision. That was so sad!
    *Hands Meredith some tissues* I'm sorry I made you cry![face_blush]

Very well done, mavjade!!!
    Thank you very much!

JadeLotus
    Poor Ben! I hope he can find a way to get though this pain.
    For that we'll just have to wait and see[face_whistling]
    Thanks for replying!

Maul Brady
    Yes, and we all know how well that worked out.
    Yes we do...[face_devil];)

Wonderfully written!
    Thank you so much!

I really need to stop reading all these sad fan fics! I'm gonna be a crying gumball at the end of the day (whatever that is).
    *Scratches Head* Yeah, I don't know what that is either...but it made me laugh![face_laugh]
    Sorry for writing a fic that made you sad, it seems to be all that I can write at the moment!
    And just so you won't be a crying gumball(what ever it may be) here is a good happy quote: Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad. ~Norm Papernick

Good job!
    Thanks!

Would like to see more!
    As soon as I can!:)

ZaraValinor
    My poor Benny.
    Yes, poor Ben[face_worried]

So sad and very well done.
    Thanks a bunches

10. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    To all: I am planning to do either a sequel, or a continuation of this (I haven't decided which yet),about Ben at an older age. I don't know how long it will be before I get it up with the new semester starting, and my really hard schedule ,but hopefully sooner rather than later. If anyone would like a PM when I do continue please let me know!

I'd like a PM! :D

11. FlashofLight

FlashofLight Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2005
    I love this. Ben is so adorable. Then, if I go...etc. made me almost cry. This was so great! You wrote the scenes well, and I loved the ending.

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Meredith_Kenobi
    I'd like a PM!
    Awesome! Then you shall have one!

FlashofLight
    I love this. Ben is so adorable.
    Thank you! Ben is one of my favorite characters, possibly because he is the child of Luke and Mara, but I still love him!

Then, if I go...etc. made me almost cry.
    I really wanted to think of something a 5 year old could give that was really substantial...and himself was what popped into my head.

This was so great! You wrote the scenes well, and I loved the ending.

[face_blush] Thank you very much!@};-

13. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    It was just so sad!!! :_|

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    It was just so sad!!!
    Just wait! I finally got in my head exactly how I want to do the sequel and I believe it's only gonna go down hill form here[face_devil]

Thanks for reading RedGold!

15. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    :eek: Wow. That was so heartbreaking. :_|

Very good challenge response.

I would love a PM when you continue. :)

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow. That was so heartbreaking.
    Very good challenge response

Thank you very much DaenaBenjen42!

I would love a PM when you continue

Great! I'll be sure and send you one!

Thanks for reading!

17. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, my goodness! How did I miss this?!

:_| :_|

So sad! Poor little Ben...willing to do anything to get his sister back! And their poor family...torn apart, lost by one.

Great job with this angsty fic! =D=

18. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Very nicely done vignette, mavjade. You've captured the pain of losing a child and a sibling well. I liked the touch at the end as well, in Ben's words to Luke. Shades of Anakin Skywalker there, almost... [face_thinking]

Great work. :)

19. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    :_| :_| :_|

Painful, heartbreaking, incredibly sad, and sensitively written.

Excellent viggie, mavjade!

*sniff*

oldj

20. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Great! You will continue with this...sign me up for the PMs, please. :D Eagerly waiting for more.

=D=

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    For anyone who may have missed it I am doing a sequel to this, so if you would like a PM when it goes up let me know!

Ginchy:

So sad! Poor little Ben...willing to do anything to get his sister back!
    It was hard to think of something he could give,as a five-year-old but then, himself came to me and that is the most that anyone, at any age could give!

Great job with this angsty fic!
    Thank you and Thanks for reading!

Knight_Aragorn:
    Very nicely done vignette, mavjade.
    Thank you very much!

You've captured the pain of losing a child and a sibling well.
    :) I can't say I'v had experiences with either,and I hoped to capture the horrific nature of both!

I liked the touch at the end as well, in Ben's words to Luke. Shades of Anakin Skywalker there, almost...
    [face_whistling] [face_devil] The sequel shall tell all! (But that was what I was going for:))

Thanks for reading!

oldj:
    Painful, heartbreaking, incredibly sad, and sensitively written.
    Excellent viggie, mavjade!

Thank you very much!

*sniff*
    *Hands oldj tissue*

Thanks for reading!

MirandaFair
    sign me up for the PMs, please
    Absolutely!:D

Eagerly waiting for more.
    I'm almost done with the first part, so it shouldn't be to long!

22. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Mavjade, This is a touching vig. Although I have never lost a child, I got a feeling here of what it might be like.

?Ben, do you remember the story we told you about your cousin Anakin??

Ben thought for a moment. ?How he saved all the Jedi but then had to go away and he can?t come back??

?Yes,? Luke answered with unshed tears in his eyes, ?he is one with the Force, and Brynn has gone to be with him.?

Finally, realizing that his sister was gone and wasn?t coming back, Ben began to cry.
    ?Why, Daddy??

Pulling Ben onto his lap and wrapping his arms around him, Luke tried to think of an answer. ?I don?t know, buddy, I just don?t know.?

You also do a good job explaining death to a child. I can see how it would be difficult for an adult, wracked with grief, to break their feelings down to a level that a child would understand.

After laying Ben down for a nap, Luke went to be with his wife. He found her sitting on the sofa, curled up in a ball, staring at nothing with a blank look in her eyes.

I pulled this quote, because, in its simplicty, it was also vivd. I saw Mara on that couch. Excellent job.

Walking into his son?s room, Luke stopped in the doorway, puzzled by what he was doing. All of Ben?s possessions were piled on top of, beside, and underneath Brynn?s bed. His favorite stuffed Bantha was sitting on her pillow, his toy X-wing right beside it. His clothes, or all of the ones his small little arms could reach, were neatly lying on the floor beside her bed. Even the sheets off his own bed were piled at the foot of hers.

His curiosity peaked, Luke asked, ?What are you doing, son??

Sad eyes turned to face him, ?If I give Bwen all my things, do you think she will come back??

This touching as well. Poor Ben. Poor Luke.

23. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    That was so sad! Poor Ben

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    brodiew
    Mavjade, This is a touching vig. Although I have never lost a child, I got a feeling here of what it might be like.
    Thank you very much! I can't say I know what that is like either. I hope to never know, (when I do eventnually have children) I'm glad to know it came across as real.

You also do a good job explaining death to a child. I can see how it would be difficult for an adult, wracked with grief, to break their feelings down to a level that a child would understand.
    I think it would be hard to explain death to a child no matter what, they just don't get the concept, it's to abstract for them. But I couldn't imagine having to do it because your own child had died. I just wrote what I felt like would be the best way to get a child to understand!

I pulled this quote, because, in its simplicty, it was also vivd. I saw Mara on that couch. Excellent job.
    That was actually one of my favorite parts. I felt as though Mara wouldn't show her greif on the outside (at least in the begning) but Luke would be able to see and feel it, but I didn't want to go into a huge explination of that and detract from the story, so that sentence was what I used to explain Mara's emotions. I'm glad you could see her! :D

This touching as well. Poor Ben. Poor Luke.
    Adults would say they would give their life to bring someone back, but as I said before kids don't really get that so I thought to my self what could a kid give... their things came to mind, and to them that is A LOT!

Thanks for reading, brodiew! And thanks for the PM to let me know you up'ed this, I might have missed it! (As it is it took me forever to respond, my computer crashed everytime I tried too!8-})

Alishu06
    That was so sad! Poor Ben
    Yes, poor Ben... I couldn't imagine losing a sibling at such a young age, more less a twin!
    Thanks for reading!