main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'd go see a movie of the live action SW TV show, no problem.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Tricky, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I just hope that TCW BO numbers don't scare Lucas & co away from trying the same thing with the live action show. I didn't want to see TCW, so I didn't go.

In my mind, there is no possible way that the live action TV show, or movie released in theaters if they decide to start the TV series off that way, could suck.

2. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    I don't think they'll be putting the opener of the live-action show in theaters. It would just confuse people. Too many people would think it was Episode 7 or something.

Clone Wars worked because it was animated, and thus stands apart from the live-action movies.

You never know, though. Lucas has no shame anymore.

3. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I really hope they don't. It was "ok" in my mind to release a movie that is animated so I can easily separate from the other six. The only thing I'd want to really see in theaters that is live action would be an Episode VII or the like......which will never happen.

4. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I'd probably go, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

5. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I'd go, but it would never happen.

6. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    [face_laugh] I know what you mean.
    "Damn you Lucas, for making me this- ooh, Star Wars! :D "

Ultimately, I'd go and see it, no question there. I can't even pretend I'd begrudge it either, I just love watching Star Wars, especially in a cinema.
    I've maintained for a long time that George could just fart on camera for a couple of hours and I'd pay money to see it. Others have maintained that he has :rolleyes:

So, in closing, I'd rather they didn't, but if it happens - I'll be there.

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I agree with pretty everything everyone has said. It's different to make an animated movie, because it's like the microseries- it's part of the story, but not really part of the Saga. I could've done with or without clone wars, I liked it, but it wasn't necessary and it didn't make me like SW more.

A movie for the LA series, I'd go see, but I wouldn't really want to. I mean, I'd want to because I love star wars and anything new I give a try, but I've been a little skeptical about it. I mean, people would go see it saying "where's Anakin?". I guess thats why the CW did go to theatres, it was staring Anakin and Obi Wan- the prequel heroes. Neither are going to be in the LA so people who were just moderate SW fans would be like "Who the hell are these people?"

Lucas just needs to stop while he's ahead I guess. Keep the TV series to TV. A LA movie would make people think that it was Episode 7.

8. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    The animated works because, like you said, it's part of the series but not the saga. The LAS crosses the line because it becomes harder to tell apart from the movies. They should keep it separate, just like they do the books and comics.

9. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Star Wars is kind of married to the theatrical experience. CW worked very well in that environment, and I can scarcely imagine the live action show debut wouldn't work equally well.

I think it might depend on the timing. When is the live action show scheduled to launch? I've heard 2009 very recently. That might be too soon to go into theaters with it. But maybe if they built up the storyline toward a theatrical push in, say, 2011?

Since CW hasn't flown at the box office, it's reasonable to assume they might want to try something different next time. But a lot is still up in the air!

10. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    I think that Steve Sansweet said that the LAS wouldn't be on air until like 2011 or 2012. I agree with most of what's been said here. LAS would just confuse people too much.

11. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    You would think though that if they had this much trouble selling the animated TV show to any network that they would push to have the live action series done in time to fill the vacuum that will be left when BSG goes off the air. That is a huge fanbase that could easily be converted for the LA series if you strike while the iron is hot, otherwise it is a sci-fi nightmare because fan appeal goes in cycles and if you hit it while there is still a want then bbom you have a hit, if not well then you are looking at a Kevin Sorbo andromedia thing where there is a strong cult appeal but it is relegated to late night reruns or saturday afternoons on WGN. So if they are smart they put preproduction into high gear now.

12. LordHibbidyhai

LordHibbidyhai Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2007
    Actually I think it was he the studio (Warner Bros this time?) that wanted a theatrical release. Although I doubt Lucas put up much resistance against doing it that way.

13. Histeria

Histeria Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2005
    Yep. By all accounts, it was WB that requested the theatrical release of CW as they didn't have any family films in the cinemas during the summer.

Whilst I enjoyed the theatrical release, I think it did more harm than good - as it wasn't great quality for a movie (hence the trashing it took from the critics), but it exception quality for a TV show (and would have reviewed accordingly IMO). Not sure Lucasfilm would want to put themselves on this line again with the live action show when it creaks into life.

14. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    I had read that Lucas wanted the theatrical release becasue after seeing the show, he decided it would look cool on the big screen. I doubt the performance of this movie will affect them doing it for the LAS if they wanted. I think Lucas just saw the theatrical release as a treat for fans, and didn't really care about how well it did.

15. LordHibbidyhai

Apr 17, 2007
    Where did you read that? Becuase it contradicts all blog/press releases I've read about it.

16. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, actually he says it in one of the 'making of' videos on the official site.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. I think a lot of people would expect a full-blown Star Wars movie and Lucas says he's not going to do that.

18. LordHibbidyhai

Apr 17, 2007
    Oh, okay. Fair enough.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They'd be half right.:p

20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I'm not sure it would be a good idea to release a live-action TV series pilot or whatever in theaters, it would confuse people and it would be judged as film, not as TV, which is annoying. I think it would be odd.

With The Clone Wars, it was fantastic, a great surprise, I was really excited to say the least. I didn't think we'd get another Star Wars movie in theaters so it was amazing to me. I wish they'd do that to open every season personally, I think it'd be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.