main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ID4: Resurgence kicks the tires and lights the fires in 2016 (ID4 3 to follow?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So y'all think that the alien invasion in this one is a "revenge" invasion or the first one was "just the first wave" but took 20 years to go there due to space travel times, etc. I'm thinking the latter is the more likely possibility. These guys were already on their way. They're basically the cleanup / colonization crew.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Second wave " would seem to fit the genre stories ID4 pulled from best- but they could always take the other route:

"Hey, we got a message from Frank!"

"Oh? What's it say?"

"Laughing skull means bad."

"Huh? What else?"

"I dunno- the message cuts off there."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    First poster art from a licensing expo and a new synopsis:

[​IMG]

"After Independence Day redefined the event movie genre, the next epic chapter delivers global catastrophe on an unimaginable scale. Using recovered alien technology, the nations of Earth have collaborated on an immense defense program to protect the planet. But nothing can prepare us for the aliens' advanced and unprecedented force. Only the ingenuity of a few brave men and women can bring our world back from the brink of extinction."

Holy ****! It's Unicron! ;)

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Take off and nuke the site from orbit, only way to be sure. Gonna be a short movie.

Juliet316 and The2ndQuest like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Redefined the event movie genre"?!

Are you serious, Clark?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's not an inaccurate statement- ID4 practically invented the use of Super Bowl TV spots being a major part of elevating a film to event status.

There was a massive amount of hype for that film- and it played very well with audiences well into its run as a payoff.

Only The Lost World & The Phantom Menace came close to that level of hype for at least the next half-decade (Titanic broke out, true, but not from prerelease build up), while JP & T2 were probably the only ones to come close (or exceed) it in the preceding half-decade.

At the very least, if you want to define "event movie" as "disaster genre" it certainly tracks.

8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Ahh... the 90's were a great time to be alive.

Goodwood likes this.
  9. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    There is going to be a massive ground invasion with millions of aliens invading around the globe all at once. It'll probably look a lot like Starship Troopers in terms of ground battles.

10. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Where did you read/hear this? It wouldn't surprise me if that turned out to be the case since the first one was mostly dogfighting and aerial action. You would expect that they would try and mix it up a bit to give it at least a patina of freshness. But I can't say I'd be all that enthused about this becoming Battle: Los Angeles.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Why? I liked Battle: Los Angeles Black Hawk Down: With Aliens.

12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I did too, but I would rather not see ID:4-2 get mired in urban warfare. But at the same time you really can't rehash the aerial finale from the first one unless you sandwich something different in between like they did with The Empire Strikes Back before recycling the Death Star for Return Of The Jedi, so...[face_dunno]

13. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    A press release from 2001 discussing five years after the original film was released about plans for a sequel and script. Roland and Emmerich have had plans for this film since the late 90s. The sequel was not made because of the 9/11 attacks. They also knew it was originally going to be called ID4Ever then too.

An emergency signal goes out from the mother ship when its destroyed. Humans figure they will have five years to create reinforcements and reverse engineer alien technology to fight back in a space battle. The invasion eventually comes, the humans lose the giant space battle, and millions of aliens invade the ground all within the first hour.

14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Hmmm, well if the motif is we lose the battle on their turf (outer space) so we take the fight to ours (Earth), it could work.

15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    ID4:2 gets an official title; Independence Day: Resurgence.

Meh. Based on the plot synopsis it's certainly on the nose, but I think I'll stick with ID4:2 or my preferred title, ID4:2 - Where In The Hell Is Robert Loggia?

16. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    If Ender's Game hadn't been redone as a Harrison Ford vehicle, I'd have said that the best plot for a sequel to ID4 would be that we find their homeworld and outfit a fleet to go and blow it up, but not everything goes to plan.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not sure a race that moves from planet I planet like locusts would have a home world- or would be affected by an attack on it.

Title is ok, but I was warming up to the whole "using 4 in the title" like Forever would have allowed.

18. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
  19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Hmmm....yeah, it's a step above Independence Day: Resurrection or Independence Day: Re-Lived isn't it? I don't mind the title personally but I really hope it doesn't take place on July 4.

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    For sure. It's not awful, just... uninspired. It could've been worse. We could've gotten a Terminator inspired Indypyndynce Day 2 or social media inspired Independence Day: Re# or something :p.

About the only way they could get away with it again is to explain somehow that the aliens have a taste for the theatrical.

21. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Exactly. Or even something like Star Wars: The Force Awa- oh.......

Juke Skywalker and Alpha-Red like this.
  22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, the first Independence Day ended on what seemed like a fairly optimistic note...wouldn't the whole premise of an "Empire Strike Back" scenario completely sour that tone? Not to mention, all the real-world 1990's optimism that the first movie tried to capture seems to be all but dead at this point.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ANH ended on a fairly optimistic note before a literal ESB scenario ;).

I don't think the film was so ingrained in 90's optimism as to be able to not function without it- outside of the disaster genre elements, it pulled on Star Wars more than anything else- it just wrapped it in a patriotic blanket.

In fact it actually sounds like they might be playing that up- showing a 90's future in contrast to our own world.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  25. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014