main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ID4: Resurgence kicks the tires and lights the fires in 2016 (ID4 3 to follow?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i bet you can't. i wanna talk about fascist undertones, people!!

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Brilliant? Whu...no...wtf

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    you dont think the film starship troopers was a brilliant satire of the original book and jingoism generally?

5. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I prefer the CGI from the first film. Everything in this just looks...plastic.

6. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Well, in all fairness, there's really no way the planet would have been habitable/sustainable after the events of the 1st movie....

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You refer to the mothership destruction/debris? You can at least handwave offscreen events somehow, but we didn't see any direct devastation resulting from that.

The City Destroyers would have kicked up a lot of dust and obviously a lot of major cities were lost from direct attack but nothing affecting whole regions let alone an entire ocean.

As for the trailer itself, it's pretty good- shows off the scale and the full-on sci-fi concept as well as a few dashes of the humor from the original.

It's not as emotionally powerful as the full trailer for the original film, but that's mostly because they're going for a more ominous tone here and a generic BWOMM! trailer will get beat out by a trailer using music from Crimson Tide every time.

8. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm still seeing it but...some of the fun has gone. Remember Harry Connick Jr.? Then those little exchanges between Goldblum's character and his character's Dad? I just don't get a sense of that here. Of course, there could be elements of that in the film and they've just decided to show a straight faced trailer. But I just hope they remember that the cheesier moments of ID4 are part of what made it great along with the spectacle. Even Brent Spiner's character looks serious.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    My suspension of disbelief is that the gravity control the motherships used didn't just fail and then they plummeted. They sort of slowly fell but fast enough to crumble along with the internal explosions.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If you go back to the first film they didn't have much of that in the trailer, either. Harry Connick Jr got a badass line (which Hemsworth's one line sorta evokes) and the more comedic characters only had serious looks to deliver. Plus a couple sarcastic lines.

11. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Good old Emmerich destruction fest! I'm in!

12. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    This looks like hot garbage. You couldn't pay me to see this ****.

SuperWatto likes this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yaaay Dr. Okun lives!!!
    Booooo no Mae Whitman as the President's daughter!

dp4m likes this.
  14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    So nobody wants to talk about the fact that this is starship troopers with better effects and without the self-awareness?

Jedi Merkurian and SuperWatto like this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think the actors who played in Starship Troopers were very aware, though to some extent the script (and to a much fuller extent the book) certainly was.

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    I thought the book was just straight up pro-fascism? Admittedly I haven't read it, but that's what I've always heard

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I haven't read it. But I've heard it spun that it was "ironically" pro-fascist. Seems like a stupid thing to have done.

18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It was irony then. It's bitter seriousness now.
    And no Will Smith.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No. The Ten-spot is correct. The book was totally, and unironically, pro-fascist. The movie was ironically-fascist. And this movie doesn't necessarily look like either yet; it's possible it will be that way.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Looks pretty unironically pro fascist to me

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What's pro-fascist in the trailer? There's a military focus to the trailer for obvious reasons (being an alien invasion movie and all) but other than selling a united earth military concept (which isn't a fascist concept) and showing an anniversary speech there's nothing in there that I see could be mistaken as such- especially since the whole nationalist idea is antithetical to the concept being pitched here.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, the world government in Starship Troopers was both unified and militaristic -- and fascist -- so I can at least fathom why Ten-spot might be coming up with it, though I wholly-disagree that we can tell from the trailer...

I mean, it's absolutely, positively nothing like even the Starship Troopers trailer...

23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

the fact that they're united against non-human beings only disqualifies fascism if your brain is entirely immune to the concept of metaphor

SuperWatto likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Eh, yes and no. I mean, I get it... and things like Watchmen (original comics, not movie) and Starship Troopers uniting humanity against "the Other" are, for sure, fascist. But the original Independence Day wasn't, and neither was War of the Worlds (the movie, not the series) despite the overtures of British rule, etc. wasn't. It's not a certainty yet, and I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Fascism got vilified as/with communism even though the two are different.

And yeah, Starship Troopers was a horrible movie regardless of satire or not.

Sarge likes this.