main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ID4: Resurgence kicks the tires and lights the fires in 2016 (ID4 3 to follow?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
  2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I will be curious to see where they go with this.

Oh yeah,

Note Fox Execs:
    You can't make an ID4 sequel without Will Smith.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, they'd definitely need Smith onboard for it to work.

I remember the first talks about an ID4 sequel ten years ago where it was about President Whitmore's telepathic encounter with the alien from the first movie having some kind of lasting effect on him (I think a detrimental one) that also allows him to realize a second wave is coming, and by now Earth has managed to retrofit the alien technology.

Though I think the majority of sequel talk from Devlin this decade has revolved around being inspired by the aftermath of 9/11, and how it reflects ID4's message of the world coming together, so it could be a completely different ballgame now.

But I gotta wonder- between The Day After Tomorrow and 2012, what's left for him to blow up? :p

4. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    I've been hearing whispers about this for a while...so long as Roland Emmerich helms it, I'm in!

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Sweet.

Maybe this one'll shamelessly mimic The Empire Strikes Back.

As for Smith...hell, you honestly need the whole cast as far as I'm concerned. Well, except for Randy Quaid, obviously. :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    ...and the composer back.

Wouldn't be the same without that awesome patriotic score :D

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Hello boys! I'mmmm baaaaack!" ;)

It'll be the poster tagline. Guarenteed. ;)

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    lol. That'd honestly rock.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Maybe it'll take place in space. :p

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There goes the moon. ;)

11. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    We have a winner!!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And, given what the open shot of ID4 was, they can claim it was part of their grand master plan all along! :p

13. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    David Arnold is, somehow, not even American. :p

But, yeah, actually, at this late date, I defend Arnold's amazing score as the best thing about the movie. I still spin that soundtrack fairly regularly. That epic End Titles is just . . . one of the greatest End Titles of the nineties easy.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Arnold blew everyone away with that score. The fact that it blew away even his previous work on Stargate (itself highly notable) makes it even more impressive.

I knew that score had done something crazy when came across some chicks in high school who included it among CD mixes- which I haven't really ever come across in any form since.

It should remain in indefinite contention for our Global Anthem a few hundred years from now when we establish a world givernment to deal with our extraterrestial neighbors ;)

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ID4 2 & 3 shot back-to-back?

Fifteen years on, "Independence Day" director Roland Emmerich and producer/writer Dean Devlin are finishing up back-to-back sequel scripts to that 1996 alien invasion global hit reports Vulture.

Back in 2009, Fox reportedly started working on structuring a deal to sign Will Smith to return to the role of Captain Stephen Hiller and shoot both films back-to-back, but the studio balked at Smith's $50 million price tag along with Emmerich?s own hefty salary.

As a result, the various parties retreated and Devlin and Emmerich got to work on getting the scripts right. Now they're about done and are expected to be delivered to Fox by early to mid-December. The studio is also reportedly willing to make the movies without Smith if necessary.

What's known about the sequels is that it will be a single story across two films, but still separate enough to be films on their own (ala "Back to the Future 2 & 3") rather than one long film split in half (ala "Deathly Hallows").

On an unrelated note, What if Bill Pullman's ID4 speech was about another holiday? [face_laugh]

17. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It would be interesting to see if they can pull this out of development hell and get the ball rolling on this.

19. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
  20. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Never heard this "ID4" stuff before. A quick scan of wikipedia reveals that it was a promotional name used before they got the rights to the title. Why ID4?

21. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Independence Day, 4th of July

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like there are some working titles:

"ID Forever Part 1" & "ID Forever Part 2" (although, I can't help but think something like "ID4-Ever" or some such would be used instead). the sequels will be post-converted to 3D, despite Emmerich being a skeptic of 3D.

It also confirms the 3D rerelease of the original ID4 on July 3rd.

Describing the sequels:

23. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    How about ID Forever and then ID and Robin? :p

24. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    You mean the one that is almost a perfect copy of Deutchland Ueberalles?
    Dah da-da-dah
    Dah d-d-Da Da
    Dah d-d-Da Da
    da Da DAAAAAH

Even though Deutchland Ueberalles was supposed to be a song uniting the individual kingdoms into abandoning petty differences, it has been misused and misinterpretted to suggest that Germany is better all other nations. I find the use of the motif to be the composer's sly witticism about the fascist nature of the movie's message (maybe even modern US Policy?).

As for a sequel? If Bruckheimer will back it, I'm sure his heavy-handed style will make it happen.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bruckheimer wasn't involved with the original film.