main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ID4 - The Independence Day Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/day.jpg]

i liked this movie and always enjoy watching it. i remember seeing it in theaters and was in awe when the ships fired there primary weapons on all the major buildings. it was really cool seeing something like that on the big screen. what are all of your thoughts on it?

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I liked the movie, myself. Very nice action, and Will Smith was great. Bill Pullman's speech was quite stirring for me.

3. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Popcorn entertainment at its shiniest! It's not an academy award winner or anything, but it's a lot of fun. They just don't make big action packed blockbusters like this anymore.

And even though I loathe Will Smith now, he's actually still pretty funny in this. The movie overall isn't bad if you try not to think too much while watching it. :)

4. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I saw this movie in 6th grade back when it was released in theaters and I really really really liked it. In fact, I considered it my favorite movie for at least a year or so.

Now, I still think it is an entertaining movie. I like it! It is sometimes difficult to overlook the silliness involved in using a 1996 Mac laptop to hack into an alien starship, but usually I can manage.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My major gripe with ID4 is that it's too Amerocentric.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    one thing i would've liked to see is during the montage of the ships firing the primary weapon instead of just showing american landmarks being destroyed is that we could see foreign landmarks get destroyed like Big Ben in london or something

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    ID4 was good for it's day and still holds up next to all the end of the world films. I'm not a Will Smith fan but even I cheered for the "Welcome to Earth" line.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This film was just a blast and is pretty much near the top of the popcorn action spectacle list. I can honestly say it provided me with the most memorable movie-going experience I've ever had- I've never been in a movie where the audience was so into a film that you could just feel the tension all around you from other people, and how they cheered when that missle finally hit that City Destroyer. Supported by David Arnold's magnificient score, I left the theater abuzz, excitedly saying it was the best SW (an opinion that I've since recanted, but it was a heat-of-the-moment thing ;) ).

Lots of memorable lines and just fun all around. Will Smith's rant at the alien body he's dragging still kills me, as does the Jolly Roger sequence (which brings much much happiness).

"Hey, alright! Take a look at us, take a look at the Earthlings! Goodbye!"
    "Ya'all take care now- nothing but love for ya!"
    "Goodbye!"
    "You think he has any clue what's about to happen to him."
    "Heh. Not a chance in hell. Goodnight."

[face_skull]MWHAHAHAHAHAHA[face_skull]

"Peace!"

The ad campaign was also rather brilliant with some top-notch trailers (from the infamous superbowl spot, to the "kick ET's ass" and "big speech" trailers).

And while I think it's American-centric approach works (it is, after all, titled Independence Day and set on July 4th), I would love to see a sequel or video game one day follow the events of the foreign battles that occured during the final sequence, such as the combat over the pyramids or Sydney. Ya know, show the other perspectives only hinted at.

A fun side-fact: ID4 apparently originated as a concept as a sequel to Stargate (either as Stargate 2 or Stargate 3) with Ra (somehow alive) attacking Earth via ships. However, once the Stargate rights left Devlin's hands, he rejigged the concpet enough (Daniel becomes David, Jack becomes Steve, etc).

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i loved David Arnold's music for the movie. especially when the ships are entering the atmosphere and appearing over the cities

10. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    Good film, but in actuality, the force of those ships hovering over the cities alone would have crushed all the buildings, they didn't need a lazer....silly aliens don't know their science :p

11. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Seeing it in the theater was great. I really wish they had done an IMAX version of it. The DVD Extended edtion is also good. I liked the cast. Goldblum, Smith and Randy Quaid were the best. Oh, and Brent Spiner was great. The movie also has a likeable President - something very few movies and TV shows have now these days.

12. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I love 'Independence Day'. I actually have ALL the action figures and toys from it. ALL of 'em. My alien attack-fighter still lights up and makes sounds, too. It's awesome. :D

The movie novelization is cool, too. It expands on the invading aliens' culture and history a lot, and even goes into the symbiotic biology between the big exoskeletal "suits" and the little aliens inside them. It's very interesting.

There's also the ID4 spin-off novel, Independence Day: Silent Zone, which is a prequel novel that explains how Dr. Okun (Brent Spiner) got his job at Area51, and how they captured the downed attack-fighter. The book ended up being a lot better than I expected, and gives a lot of insight into Okun's character. Believe it or not, before being stationed at Area51, he wasn't nearly as... eccentric. ;)

13. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    There's also a sequel book of sorts. I forget the title for the moment. But it starts with the timeline of the movie, only covers the events in the Mid East. It then continues after the invasion, where surviving aliens leave the ship to attack humans and attempt to poison a water supply or something. I forget all of the details, I haven't read it since like 8th grade, but I liked it at the time.

14. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I love this movie!! Bull Pulman is great as the president, and it is a very very fun movie to watch. Actually, I think i may watch it tomorrow!! or soon, anyways. I like that it is American centric because I am american :p I try to not think about problems with technolgy and logic and stuff becuase it is more enjoyable that way. Wonderful movie!

15. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    You're kidding. I didn't know there was a sequel novel. I'll have to check Amazon.com right now... if you can find a title for me, that'd be awesome. :D

Edit-- nevermind, I found it. Independence Day: War in the Desert. I think I can afford a used copy for $0.45 ;)

16. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061058297/qid=1140601828/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-8753944-0237428?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

There it is! War in the Desert. I remember I actually emailed the author asking him if there'd be a sequel to ID4, and he actually replied to me and explained there were plans to do that. That was 1999 though, I think things have changed with regards to a sequel. But an author that answers fan email is still pretty cool!

17. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I also recall a spin-off comic series of some kind, but I can't recall the title or what it was about. I know there was the comic adaptation, but I also remember a sequel-comic or something.

18. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I agree, but it was made with american money, for an american market.
    However, I did find the scenes with the British guys and the Iraqis in the desert stomach churning.

"By jove chaps, I do believe the Americans have a plan!"

(or whatever it is he says).

ID4 had ground breaking SFX at the time, and was one of the first movies to show detailed destruction of major cities - years before Deep Impact and Armaggedon did the same thing.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i remember when Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum are flying out of the mothership, how the line that Jeff used when being chased by the T-Rex in Jurassic Park is used. "Must go faster, Must go faster. Go Go Go Go Go Go Go!!!"

20. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I can't stand this movie. I tried, but it was just a bad adaptation of War of the Worlds, and the acting and dialog, while funny, wasn't that good. Cool CGI, but that's about it.

21. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I remember when I was younger, I went with my dad and brother to see this movie. I loved it.

"By jove chaps, I do believe the Americans have a plan!"

[face_laugh]

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i don't have the dvd for this. so is there like an extended edition out there or one with deleted scenes? if so are any of the deleted scenes good?

23. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Yes and Yes

there is one that is hilarious

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    could you describe it for me

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Although the cheese factor is through the roof, I am still moved by the President's speech bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.