main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ID4 - The Independence Day Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    No it absolutely positively was not in any way shape or form related to War of the Worlds. Not the book, not the original movie, or that crapfest of a remake.

No.

You have completely missed the SINGLE point that War of the Worlds was trying to make if you think that.

War of the Worlds is about man's arrogance and despite their technological advances they are unable to over come an invading alien race, however are "saved" by a tiny micro-organism.

ID4 is about man's success in using their own technology to over come an invading alien race.

See the difference ?

HGWells was making a point, while Will Smith et al were making an action movie.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I [face_love] malkie.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The only truly great thing about this movie was David Arnold's 'career best' score. That was awesome . . . moving, emotional, but he really ripped out the stops on the action sequences. The End Titles all by themselves put this one in the upper echelons of film music.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    =D=

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Beyond the realm of possibility? Maybe.

Enjoyably action flick? Yes.

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Agreed. Just pure entertainment, nothing more. Best thing is, it doesn't strive to be anything more.

True... *shrug*

[face_laugh]

7. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I liked the fact that the allies of the world teamed up to defeat the alien invasion. Not unlike D Day, when the Germans were defeated.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, while their ultimate point is different- the creators have pretty admited it's heavily influenced by WOTW (at least the 50's movie) such as the failed nuclear attack, the defeat of the aliens at the hands of a (computer) virus, etc.

>>The End Titles all by themselves put this one in the upper echelons of film music.<<

Agreed.

It should become the official fanfare of Earth one day :D

9. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Why is the answer to defeating the aliens always a nuclear attack? Don't they know that won't work? :p

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nukes work- you just have to set them off in the aliens' faces (Stargate, ID4, Stargate Atlantis, etc) ;)

>> ID4 had ground breaking SFX at the time, and was one of the first movies to show detailed destruction of major cities - years before Deep Impact and Armaggedon did the same thing.<<

Yeah, ID4 had what is, IMO, still best FX philosophy- if you can build it, build it, and leave the rest for the computers.

11. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Well yeah, they'll work if you shoot them in the face. ]-}

Was ID4 mostly CG or model work?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was mostly model work- they mainly kept the CGI for the large scale aerial battles and the canyon chase, I believe. The building destructions were all models though- built sideways so the fire would seem to move horizontally when in fact it was going vertically. Most of the less complex ship shots were model work as well.

On a related note I also remember some high school drama club or something a few years ago making an ID4 fanfilm where one of the fighters crashed outside their school and it's pilot terrorized the school. They even built a full attack-fighter outside the school. (or at least most of one)

13. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    That's an extremely well put together display of both model work and CG. ID4 definitely rates up there as one of the best FX movies of it's time.

Now-a-days, T.V. shows have better FX shots then movies.

14. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I daresay it's one of the best special-effects movies of ALL time.
    I know they wrote a special computer program to "randomize" the alien attack-fighters and the F/A-18 Hornets for all the dogfight scenes, so they didn't have to plot the course of each plane one at a time. It was revolutionary, and variants of the program have shown up in other movies, not to mention video games.

15. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I really like the extra on the DVD which shows you all the TV announcer footage of the incoming alien invasion.

16. Honor_And_Liberty

Honor_And_Liberty Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2005
    Holy carp, I never knew that. :eek:

And I'm a big Stargate fan, so this especially shocking. [face_blush]

17. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    It's not one of my favorite movies by any stretch of the means..but I do have a question.

So how exactly were the ships supposed to be destroyed? At the end...Robert Loggia tells the communications guy to get on the radio and tell everyone how to take them down.

?????

I mean....are they supposed to wait until the last second before the aliens use they're primary weapon and then fly a fighter up into it? That just makes no sense...

or am I missing something?

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that's a good question. maybe they just have to concentrate all their weapons on that part of the ship even when it's closed and if they hit that part enought times then that'll bring the ship down without having to wait for the weapon to fire

19. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    Well, could be..I guess I'll go with that.

It has it's problems...but some parts are pretty good.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, so far as we saw, the City Destroyers were more or less useless if they couldn't fire their primary weapon- so the aliens had to decide whether to not do anything at all or try their luck and wipe out the resistance bases. And, without the shields, I'm sure if they concentrated their fire enough, they'd be able to penetrate the "flower petals" and take out the weapon core.

>> Holy carp, I never knew that. And I'm a big Stargate fan, so this especially shocking.<<

I only came across that info recently, so don't feel bad. I haven't seen it in many places though, so it's entirely possible the info isn't 100% accurate but it makes a lot of sense.

21. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Every time I watch ID4, I can't help but think "RIPOFF"!

Anybody see "V" and "V:The Final Battle" in the 80's?

No?

Well, it starts with giant alien saucers appearing without warning and settling over the major cities of the world...

And they're not friendly!

22. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    ^^^^ That was good stuff there. That was a big deal back then. I'm betting the budget on that was huge for the time. Those two mini-series were great. Series: pretty bad.

23. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Let's not ever discuss "V: The series" again. It never happened!

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i liked the opening where we see the moon and then the plaque from Apollo 11 and we ground start to shake and then the shadow gradually moving across the surface

25. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I just bought the soundtrack from iTunes last night.

Great score.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.