main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Idea for the moderators

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AlienAcid, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    This thread is being reopened. No sexual or flaming parody is allowed, and posting either may get this thread locked again.

from Community.

Maybe instead of locking topics, or threating locking of topics you deal with the USER(Not the thread, not the person who started the thread.) instead of taking it out on a thread if people cant act proper.

How about it? your moderators moderate by keeping stuff like that out of threads instead of just closing them.

Matters have been resolved here.

2. Servings per Container

Servings per Container Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000
    That sounds reasonable. Especially if there are just a couple posts that need to be dealt with.

3. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I kind of agree. I've seen great threads closed bacause one or two idiots had to ruin all the fun. But on the other hand there are some threads that just encourage such things or have more than just a few users causing trouble and would need constant moderation -> so they're probably better of being locked. They key is to know the difference between the two types of threads and act according. Unfortunately this isn't always done.

4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I've always wondered why derailment was grounds for closing a thread. Publically warning the offending parties would be much more effective.

Amazing.

5. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    ADMIN WARNING
    This thread is being posted. No sexual or flaming parody is allowed, and posting either may get this thread locked
    ADMIN WARNING

Maybe we can make this for every thread?

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It simply depends on the thread. Sometimes it's better to just lock the thread, and sometimes it's better to deal with individual members.

It varies, and there's no black and white standard for it.

7. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    AA - that warning does come with every thread. It's in the TOS, which you agree to every time you hit the submit button.

But that obviously isn't enough for some people, as there were numerous folks in there posting inappropriate things. It was a warning both to the specific individuals and to any people who hadn't yet posted in the thread, but might get the wrong idea, as some people already had.

We are only trying to clarify the rules, since some people clearly aren't reading them.

The thread was re-opened for just the reason you suggested. The mods discussed the situation, and the thread was re-opened, because, as I said to another mod, I don't like the idea of locking a thread just because a few people can't grasp the rules.

We'll be keeping a close eye on the thread, and dealing with any folks who post inappropriate things. The thread will stay open, though, provided not every single response is inappropriate.

Vertical

8. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Maybe make the post button say all that? that way no one can miss it.

9. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Not all threads need a warning- as Vertical pointed out, it is in the TOS. When I locked the thread it was not for derailment, but because several of the posts were inappropriate.

Sometimes instead of locking a thread, all that is needed is an edit or two. Sometimes a pm to a member is in line. Sometimes more is needed. As KW said, it depends on the thread.

~*~Bria

10. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Sometimes I think it is more or less done because of the mods mood not any actualy logic behind it.

Prove me wrong.

11. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Prove yourself right, first. You haven't proven anything, you've only theorized.

The thread has been re-opened, your suggestion has been heeded. What else remains?

Vertical

12. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Technically since it's your hypothesis you have to prove it right, no one has to prove you wrong.

I'm sure you knew that though.

13. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    I ment prove my wrong by continue to do what you did with gundarks thread, with other threads like that in the future.

14. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Sometimes I think it is more or less done because of the mods mood not any actualy logic behind it.

The thread was locked twice, once by knightwriter, then by bria (why did you lock it? it was already locked) then reopend by bria, then comments added by vertical.

Explain how this is better then, editing offending post, pming user "Your post was not correct, dont do that again I edited your post"

Just from my point of view, it is easier to edit a persons post and pm them (cause it will probably get them to stop, in that thread and others thus saving yourself trouble later) then locking lock, unlock , edit add the TOS in big so the 3 or 4 people see it.

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The thread was locked twice, once by knightwriter, then by bria (why did you lock it? it was already locked) then reopend by bria, then comments added by vertical.

Bria locked it after me because she opened the window before I locked the thread but locked it after I did.

Explain how this is better then, editing offending post, pming user "Your post was not correct, dont do that again I edited your post"

There were several different messages with inappropriate parodies in them. When you have a thread that clearly has been inviting trouble, I think it's reasonable to simply lock the thread. However, locked threads can be reopened, and after conferring with a couple other admins, it was reopened with a warning and the inappropriate parodies edited out.

That's not always how it's going to be, and it would be mistaken of you or anyone else to expect that. What works in one instance may not work for another.

16. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    What about mods that fail to reply to legitimate requests to re-open a thread?

Such a situation occured the other day. A thread was locked, I personally felt the locking was unfair, the mod read my PM, and obviously ignored it.

How can anything constructive be done when the mods won't even take three seconds to reply "No", or even *gasp* elaborate a bit.

For all I know, that mod agrees with me, and is discussing giving me millions of dollars, and showering me with gifts because of my efforts, but I will never know.

17. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Comments were not added by me. I merely added some Snowcodes to make the warning more visible. Bria authored the comments, I merely made them more visible. The thread was only locked once, as KW explained.

If I started a thread entitled "Skirt the edge of the rules", don't you think some people might cross the line? Wouldn't that thread warrant a little more attention? Perhaps even an extra warning? That's all we're doing here.

Vertical

18. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    xie:

What thread are you referring to, and what Mod did you PM?

Vertical

19. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    That's not always how it's going to be, and it would be mistaken of you or anyone else to expect that. What works in one instance may not work for another.

Arent mods here to 'make it work'

If there is nothing wrong with the first post in a thread there really shouldnt be any reason to lock it IMO

just keep deleting the bad posts, people will get bored and go away.

20. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    The thread was entitled "Banned Users Gather Here" in JCC.

I didn't want to name names, but I PMd Son of the Suns. [Edit: He was the one who locked it.]

I said:

Why exactly was that thread locked?

We can have threads for "All Darths", we can have threads for "Zack", and there are plenty of threads about users who have shared common experiences.

Being banned is just another one of those experiences. As long as no one violates the JC TOS in there, and doesn't start flaming mods who banned them, it can be a very healthy discussion about a common experience.

Any chance this can be re-opened?

21. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    If I started a thread entitled "Skirt the edge of the rules", don't you think some people might cross the line? Wouldn't that thread warrant a little more attention? Perhaps even an extra warning? That's all we're doing here.

Some people dont need a topic for that ;)

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Arent mods here to 'make it work'

If there is nothing wrong with the first post in a thread there really shouldnt be any reason to lock it IMO

We cannot make every situation work, because sometimes things deteriorate past the point of an admin being able to make it work. We can't control people's behavior, or take responsibility for it.

just keep deleting the bad posts, people will get bored and go away

That's simply not true. If a thread is obviously causing problems, it may be time to close it.

23. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    You mean like if the mods keep banning serial trolls they'll just get bored and go away?

Woohoo where have you been?

24. Fathead

Fathead Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 1999
    I think the problem stems from promoting people who have been perm banned.

25. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    That's odd, I think this particular problem comes from migratory slackers returning to the warm waters of the JC everytime Ikonboards freezes over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.