main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Idea for the moderators

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AlienAcid, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    That's simply not true. If a thread is obviously causing problems, it may be time to close it.
    Kinda like handguns eh? They dont work lets take them away.

Wouldnt these threads be a good way to weed out the pain in the ass users anways? ;)

2. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    That's odd, I think this particular problem comes from migratory slackers returning to the warm waters of the JC everytime Ikonboards freezes over.

Ikonboard is working fine.

3. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Kinda like handguns eh? They dont work lets take them away.

That's disanalogous. Owning a firearm is a right. Posting threads on an internet messageboard is not a right.

4. Fathead

Fathead Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 1999
    HOORAY FOR UNABASHED HATRED OF ONE GROUP!

5. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Really? It must be Wednesday again.

So AA, I'm sure the Administration would be happy to delete posts if you promised nto to start a thread about how evil that was while PMing every single one of them you could demanding it be stopped.

Think you could manage that?

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Fathead, if you have nothing constructive to contribute to this, please don't post here.

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    When there's problems from a user or a few users in a thread, I moderate the offense, not the thread. There's no reason a thread should suffer because of the actions of a few individuals.

8. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    That's disanalogous. Owning a firearm is a right. Posting threads on an internet messageboard is not a right.

OMG A BAN ANALOGY ON A INTERNETMESSAGE BOARD!

The basic point is , threads that cause problems= BAD

so, you want an analogy that isnt a right?

Well Murder isnt a right , so lets get rid of all people no more murder!

9. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    When there's problems from a user or a few users in a thread, I moderate the offense, not the thread. There's no reason a thread should suffer because of the actions of a few individuals.

Hate to say this, you need more mods like Mr Sapient.

His attitude is good and would solve alot of the problems.

10. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Should I take my minor gripe to a new thread?

11. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    No you've got it wrong.

Your analogy = bad.

Bad analogies = bad arguments

Well Murder isnt a right , so lets get rid of all people no more murder!

This trumps your other analogy in terms of badness.

12. Internet_Drama

Internet_Drama Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2001
    Hello, friends.

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    AA, are you not understanding me?

Dealing with one or a few problem users is fine, if the situation allows for it. The problem is that not every thread and situation allows for that, and sometimes, threads have to be closed. You may not like it, but that's how it is.

14. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I knew that was coming.

15. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    I have a serious suggestion. Other than the fact that several mods have either posted at the SC are are buddies with the slackers, I dont see why it cant be implemented. Ban. Every. Single. Known. SC. Memeber...FOREVER. It may sound harsh, but seriously, its just a message board, who cares if a bunch of troublemakers are sad that they cant cause trouble anymore? I am sure they would eventually move on with their lives, and no JC member who joined after 1998 would care, and the JC would improve drastically

Dont worry, Most mods want to do this already.

16. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I think occasionally a mod might better to just IP ban the troll, but usually they seem right in their topic lockings.

Sure, that would work, except IP bans are very very simple to get around.

17. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    I have a serious suggestion. Other than the fact that several mods have either posted at the SC are are buddies with the slackers, I dont see why it cant be implemented. Ban. Every. Single. Known. SC. Memeber...FOREVER. It may sound harsh, but seriously, its just a message board, who cares if a bunch of troublemakers are sad that they cant cause trouble anymore? I am sure they would eventually move on with their lives, and no JC member who joined after 1998 would care, and the JC would improve drastically.

I think that's a horrible suggestion. Not every SC member causes trouble. People should be dealt with individually by mods, not in large groups.

18. Fathead

Jun 12, 1999
    If my comment wasn't justified, then delete it.

Still, it's funny how it's cool to lump people together here and say that they are all evil and should be banned permanently.

I guess then my opinion that all people with the word "Darth" in their username are worthless and should be banned is perfectly okay to voice.

19. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    AA, are you not understanding me?

Dealing with one or a few problem users is fine, if the situation allows for it. The problem is that not every thread and situation allows for that, and sometimes, threads have to be closed. You may not like it, but that's how it is.

DarthSapient doesnt seem to have a problem with doing this, if one mod can handle it why cant the rest?

20. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Still, it's funny how it's cool to lump people together here and say that they are all evil and should be banned permanently.

That is basicaly being racist, hate towards a group of people because they share one thing in common.

21. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Sapient said...When there's problems from a user or a few users in a thread, I moderate the offense, not the thread. There's no reason a thread should suffer because of the actions of a few individuals.

Emphasis added. See AA? Sapient basically said the same thing as KW. (Sape can correct me if I'm wrong)

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    DarthSapient doesnt seem to have a problem with doing this, if one mod can handle it why cant the rest

You're still not understanding me, AA. I already do that with some threads. What I'm saying is that it doesn't work for every single situation.

23. Fathead

Jun 12, 1999
    It's not racist, but most certainly elitist.

24. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    AA, the problem was that many of the names were sexual or flaming. Not just one or two. I was getting pms on them. I took action. When asked if the thread could be opened, I discussed it with other mods, and we decided to give it another try.

~*~Bria

25. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    KW is actually right. :eek:

A mod? Right?

Yeah actually. If 6/10 of the first posts in a thread break the TOS, then obviously people on the JC are not mature enough to handle that topic, and the continuation of that discussion should be not allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.