main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Idea for the moderators

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AlienAcid, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cetera

Cetera Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2000
    I am seeing (again) quite a bit of the anit-Slacker mentality that we all know and don't love. I have never been banned in all my tenure here, either under this name, or my original name Peter (which was lost during a server move). I don't think I cause trouble, I do think my posts are pretty straightforward, on topic, and uninflammatory.

I take offense to farraday's comments in this thread, and as for Agustus' comments, well, let's say I'd be banned for saying what I want to.

2. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    You're still not understanding me, AA. I already do that with some threads. What I'm saying is that it doesn't work for every single situation.

omg i=dumb!

sorry at my lack of understanding, I will just take my ball and go home now.

3. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I wouldn't use the word "racist" or "elitist". Maybe "discrimination against Slackers" is a better term for what you're accusing some people of.

4. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    I can only speak for the Movie Forums on this issue.

If a thread is derailed, has gone downhill, and has no hope of being saved, I lock. If it can be put back on track, it is not locked. Simple.

Sometimes, a thread has gone so far downhill until that when we discover it, it has been a wreck for several pages. That is when the thread has outlived its purpose, all the substantive posters have gone elsewhere, and nothing remains but either a flame-war or mindless drivel. Lock-time, baby.

5. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    AA, KW didn't say you was dumb. He was trying to help if you didn't understand what he was getting at. Sometimes what Sapient says works. Sometimes it doesn't. That was the point.

As for the comments on slackers, can we have them stop. Slackers aren't really the issue here. :)

~*~Bria

6. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    If a thread is derailed, has gone downhill, and has no hope of being saved, I lock. If it can be put back on track, it is not locked. Simple.

Exactly. If anyone cares, here is a perfect example of a good thread gone bad, with many attempts to stay on topic, all of which failed. The thread was locked.

Should every off topic and spammish post in that thread be deleted? There are over 500 of them. Here

Edit: Heh that is in Lit by the way, and yeah, that was one of my first posts ever. [face_blush] Just using it as an example.

7. Fathead

Fathead Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 1999
    I'm not stopping until a mod steps up and takes some action. Honestly, I could sit here and whine all day about how farraday and agustus of rome have offended me, by lumping me in as troublemaker, just because i choose to post at multiple boards.

Saying that everyone of a particular "class" needs to be banned would qualify as elitist. I guess that's okay now.

8. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I could sit here and whine all day about how farraday and agustus of rome have offended me,

Someone was offended on the internet? My stars!

9. Cetera

Cetera Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2000
    I agree with Fathead. Once again, this is going to become a spitting contest and the Slackers are getting pulled into it. However, I think we have shown (at least most of us) that we are all fairly reasonable, and level headed, and when we are actually listened to and responded to, everything works out. Or did everyone not notice the second chance thread, started by a Slacker, that seemed to go so well, with contributions from several mods and Slackers alike.

I say ban Agustus, since he is a sock anyway, and farraday needs to apologize as well.

10. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Actually, he is not a sock, as far as I know.

I'm just going to say it, please stop trying to derail this thread, if you have grievances, start your own thread.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The post by Augustus has been removed.

All the Slacker talk needs to end right now. Get back to the issues and leave it at that. Take your personal concerns with each other elsewhere.

12. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Honestly, I could sit here and whine all day about how farraday and agustus of rome have offended me, by lumping me in as troublemaker, just because i choose to post at multiple boards.

I almost sympathized with you until I read this post you made on pg 1 before farraday made the post in question (it was a clear dig at him).

I think the problem stems from promoting people who have been perm banned.

Maybe you should be the one apolgizing.

EDIT: But Augustus' post was pretty bad.

13. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    This thread has nothing to do with slackers. Why were they even brought up?

However, just to appease Fathead - Grouping the "slackers" together is merely done out of convenience, not out of accuracy of encompassing traits. Not all slackers are trouble-makers. Not all trouble-makers are slackers. But you cannot deny that quite a few slackers have cause trouble here at the JC.

The slackers aren't all bad people, but they're not all saints, either. Same with any group.

So, let's stop the unqualified generalizations, eh? The trouble-making slackers are the only people we, as mods, have issues with. The ones who obey the rules should, theoretically, never need administrative attention, and are obviously not the problem here.

Now, can we please drop the issue of the Slackers? They have zero to do with the topic.

Vertical

14. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I apologize for my elitist comments to any slacker(that is, person who posts on the SC) offended who hasn't done anything to deserve it.

15. Fathead

Fathead Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 1999
    Thank you to the 2 moderators who addressed my problem.

I appreciate it.

back to the topic at hand, i'm still trying to figure out how to word what I want to say.

edit* can't spell today

16. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Vertical, should I bring my issue to a new thread?

17. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Without a doubt, xie, please do. It's a sincere issue that should be addressed.

And no problem, Fathead. :)

Vertical

18. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    I'm a bit of a troublemaker. But it's fun trouble. Tom Hanks type trouble, not Sean Penn type trouble.

19. John of the collective

John of the collective Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 1998
    So wait a minute.

I want to see the Terms of service from september 1998. That is the only TOS I agreed to and unless that makes provisions for changes, legally, you cannot make me agree to the current TOS.

Not that I violate the current one either. But its a principle thing. I want to know if legally I'm obligated to follow the current TOS.

20. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Um, yes?

From the area below the box I'm typing in...

Please read the Terms Of Service before posting. By pressing the POST button below, you are agreeing to the TOS.

Tada!

21. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
  22. John of the collective

John of the collective Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 1998
    Drat you've thought of everything.

23. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    [image=http://www3.baylor.edu/~Dallas_Cobb/owned.jpg]

24. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    lol i killed it.

25. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I think solving the problem killed the thread anymore then your post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.