IDEA! Magic of Myth

Discussion in 'Vancouver, BC' started by dexters, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dexters Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey, while the Aussies are getting their tour, we aren't seeing it.

Let's begin a concerted effort to let the guys at Lucasfilm and the Smithsonian know we want Magic of Myth up here in Canada, with at least a 3 city tour (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal)

Here's another project we can do.
  2. Azeria_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    !!!!!!!!!

*collapses from sheer greatness of the idea*

P.S. Don't get a big head over that.
  3. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey,

I like that idea.... BUT HOW???
  4. dexters Jedi Knight

star 2
    How?

Well, we start with Research.

I'm not familiar with the format with Magic of Myth, so we need someone who knows. After that, we look around Vancouver to see what venues would fit this format.

It has to fit both in terms of size of the venue, location of the venue, and timing of the venue (how long does the space last?)

I think MoM exhibits tend to last a few months in a town, but I'm not too sure about either. Obviously, they can't have it like in a warehouse in Mission. It has to be Vancouver or Richmond. Someplace accessible.

So we need research. While we are doing that, we reach out to our FF chapters around the country, and get them to contribute their research on their cities. Ontario has a strong chapter, with YoungJediNiagra, who I am pretty sure can do a wonderful job helping us.

We then present a combined petition, perhaps with preliminary cost figures to whoever is in charge of this exhibit (we should research that too). We maybe have to send someone to do it.

If not send someone, we have Theforce.net to help us reach the people. Through contacts or what not.

But it would be a very rewarding project if we pull it off. And we are doing something we like.

I'm certainly open to ideas, and I am by no means, claiming to be the leader. If someone with more resources and organizational skill can step forward (i'm flat broke) then heck, they can take my place. I would certainly step aside.
  5. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    Just let me know how I can help. I'd love to see it myself.
  6. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow! Dexter, this is quite an ambitious idea (these are things that I definitely like). ;)

Here are my cursory thoughts on this issue. First off, I?ll be brutally honest with you: I don?t think we have a sizable enough population to obtain the Star Wars: Magic of Myth Exhibition for Vancouver. Just from examining the cities that have been involved in the tour so far, they all seem to be located around major population centres (E.g.: Brooklyn, Washington, Houston, & Sydney). I think Seattle, which is located in relative proximity to us, Portland, Everett, Tacoma, Spokane, and Victoria would have a much better chance. ;) Also, I believe you are correct in terms southern Ontario, as Toronto has a sizable population and is located in relative proximity to London, Niagara, Windsor, Ottawa, etc.: it would make an ideal venue. :)

If you?re interested in researching this, you certainly have my blessing and I will help you in whatever way that I can. I recommend that you first send a letter to Lucasfilm Ltd.?s Fan Relations Dept. and/or Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES) If enquiries about obtaining the SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition under their purview, they will definitely point you in the direction of the right people to talk to. Then, once you've made contact with the right people, specifically ask them two questions:

1) What do you need to do for your city to obtain SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition?

2) What size of facility is needed for the SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition?

In regards to the first question, they will probably tell you that you need to lobby your local art gallery or museum (in our case, probably the Vancouver Art Gallery or a bigger facility - depending on the exhibits) about acquiring the SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition. Specifically, they will probably tell you to start a letter-writing campaign to the VAG, as the VAG will need to see that there is a demand in our city for obtaining the SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition and because the VAG will be doing all the negotiations with LFL/SITES, not us or TF.N.

Though not impossible, this will be an arduous process that will probably demand at least a few thousand letters to be written to the VAG. And even if we are successful, we may not see the SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition for a long time, as it would not surprise me if they are booked for the next two years (or more)/committed to other facilities around the globe. I say specifically because the SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition has been touring for the last three years, and in every location that they?ve stopped, they?ve been there for 4-5 month runs (this indicates that the Exhibition is in demand, and LFL/SITES is able to set their terms for negotiation).

[image=http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2002/09/img/powerhouse3_6.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2002/09/img/powerhouse3_7.jpg]
  7. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Master

star 3
    I don't think that we need to write a hundred letters to the Vancouver Art Gallery.

I spoke with the Special Events Rep. this afternoon at the VAG... and this is what she said:

The Magic of Myth should be the one to submit a PROPOSAL for their EXHIBIT.( VAG would gladly accomodate us, but would need an advanced notice)

They will then bring this proposal to a committee to discuss the said event.

If approved, we'll be enjoying a few weeks, if not months, of Star Wars...

Another location would be the Vancouver Museum... I'm still trying to reach their Events Rep. there...
  8. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
  9. dexters Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks for looking into that Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Obi-Dan, stay positive. I think the least we can do is enquire when they plan to start up the exhibit again and at least register Vancouver's interest.

This is not the end of the world. And I think Lucas, the way he keeps talking about the 6 films, plans to leave a legacy. I expect the exhibit will start up. And why not make Canada one of its first stops?
  10. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    ?Obi-Dan, stay positive. I think the least we can do is enquire when they plan to start up the exhibit again and at least register Vancouver's interest.?

Without any press releases to the contrary, it is difficult to say with any certainty that the SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition will start touring again in the future. As it stands right now, the SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition has been on display in one form or another for the last five years, and on tour for the last three years. Once this tour ends in February 2003 in Sydney, I imagine all the exhibits will be returned to LFL, who has loaned them out to SITES. From all accounts the SW: Magic of Myth Exhibition has been a huge success, and could probably tour the globe indefinitely; but LFL has made no arrangements to continue the current tour and is probably doing so for a particular reason. ;)
    ?I'm certainly open to ideas, and I am by no means, claiming to be the leader. If someone with more resources and organizational skill can step forward (i'm flat broke) then heck, they can take my place. I would certainly step aside.?

This is all your idea, Dexter. ;) Hence, you deserve all the glory. As I mentioned before, you have my blessing to proceed and if you need anything, don?t hesitate to ask me (E.g.: advice on wording of e-mails/letters). And if you want to follow through on this, I recommend that you send a cordial e-mail to the Public Relations Office of SITES: [link=]sites_press@si.edu[/link]. Also, you may want to enquire about the smaller SW: Art of the Starfighter (contact SITES) or The Art of Star Wars (contact LFL) exhibits (which I assume are still touring). ;)
    />
  11. dexters Jedi Knight

star 2
    Obi-Dan,

appreciate all the links. I'll work on it and see what happens.

And my apologies for posting stuff that could have been posted elsewhere.

12. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    "And my apologies for posting stuff that could have been posted elsewhere."

No worries, Dexter. These things happen. :)
    "I'll work on it and see what happens."

As will I too. I have to admit that both you and Antonio (through your research thus far) have sparked my interest with this idea. Thus, I'll be sending out a few e-mails and hopefully, we'll get some positive replies. I'll keep you posted. ;) />
  13. dexters Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sounds good. We'll co-ordinate in this thread. Post people you've contacted so we don't appear disorganized by contacting the same person twice :)

14. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    ?Post people you've contacted so we don't appear disorganized by contacting the same person twice.?

I concur, Dexter; this is a very good plan of attack. ;) As it stands right now, I plan on contacting the Public Relations Office of SITES ([link=]sites_press@si.edu[/link]) and some general/or low-level functionary in LFL?s Fan Relations Department. Unfortunately, locating a general or appropriate e-mail address for someone in this Department has proven to be somewhat difficult. I actually have Steve Sansweet?s e-mail address (he is LFL?s Director of Content Management & Fan Relations), as we exchanged a few e-mails before IMAX AOTC. But I am extremely reticent to e-mail him again, as this enquiry should really be made to someone under him in his Department. ;)

[image=http://www.starwars.com/bio/img/stevesansweet.jpg]
  15. dexters Jedi Knight

star 2
    I am somewhat familiar with who Mr. Sawnsweet is. Although I'm sure you could e-mail him and let him know you wish to contact his subordiniates and work up through the proper channels.

In my previous life writing for on-line game magazines, I've done the same thing and the people I contacted didn't mind providing the right e-mail ;) The the act of contacting the target person usually has the effect of putting them on notice and to look for the item to come up the channel. Unless of course, Mr. Sansweet has warned you not to e-mail him again or risk a thousand jedis descending on your house :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.