main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Idea: Meeting to Brainstorm Reviving the MD FF

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by saerah, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    I think the MD FF needs to be changed to the Baltimore FF, and then see if other MD'ers take on having a chapter of their own.

2. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    It sounds likea good idea, saerah, but here's the problem. You have people like you who are way out on the Western Shore and then people like me who are way down on the Easter Shore with Baltimore near smack in the middle. So if Baltimore was to break off, that might create some problems. Unless, there were enough people on the Eastern and enough people on the Western interested in forming Fan Forces. Which means our poor little state would be torn in two.

And I highly doubt any of that made sense whatsoever. :p

:Targeter:

3. HauntedMemory

HauntedMemory Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2005
    Sounds like a good plan...any ideas on how to do this

4. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Just a thought, but would we be able to set up individual chapters within the MD FF?

Probably wouldn't work too well as we're already a small group, but we could split into say, two or three groups based on geography and people's locations. Each group could try to have say, a meeting a month. That way, the FF would have multiple meetings, and things could get moving again. You wouldn't be limited to only going to your group, of course...it'd just be the most convenient.

Then, say every other month, or maybe every three, we try to have one large meeting with everyone.

I'm kind of tired, so there may be a gaping hole in my logic :p Sorry if this is so, just kind of thinking out loud.

5. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    I think that's kinda like what saerah was trying to say. Could be wrong though.

However, I don't really think there's enough people interested to be able to do that. We're having enough issues as a group as it is.

6. HauntedMemory

Jan 25, 2005
    I think the major obstacle is getting new blood. Circulate some sort of regional flyers etc., and let people know of regional FF within the "Mother" FF. Like children leaving the nest and going on their own. I'm up for something in my area which is Balto. City

7. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    I'd be willing to travel a little ways. The meetings don't have to be around Baltimore (in fact, I'd rather they didn't. I hate Baltimore). I just don't think having individual chapters would work that well since there's only like 6 or 7 of us to begin with.

The only thing I can think of is to try to arrange at least one big meeting a few times out of the year and rotate the location so everyone has a chance to be lazy and drive only 20 minutes or so. :p

Other than that, a couple of us could have unofficial meetings. I'm not too far from Ian and a few others. I wouldn't mind hanging out with just a couple of you and shoot pool or something.

Glaine ár gcroí. Neart ár ngéag. Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar.

8. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Originally, we had made the fanforce cover all of Maryland because of its size and the number of members we had. We did have those members that were far (hours away), but the majority of members were close together. We had a member here, sithspawn35, that traveled from Salisbury to make our meetings. And Isbeth travels far, too. So, while the meeting locations were far for them, they worked for the majority.

Though, that's not a bad idea to have groups within the MDFF, as saerah and Aragorn have said. I like Aragorn's idea that these smaller groups could have meetings on their own monthly (or some other interval), and then every few months there would be a large MDFF meeting. Also, those individual groups could have representatives or ambassadors. That way, if all the members from the smaller group can't travel the distance for the large meeting, the ambassador can go and take notes to bring back to his or her group.

I think the first step would be trying to get enough numbers in the different areas. Western MD and Eastern Shore are definitely areas that could benefit from this arrangement.

9. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    Does sithspawn35 still post at these boards? Because other than him and THe_Confessor, I don't know of anyone who's from the Eastern Shore. Wait, is there anyone else who's from the Eastern Shore? I may be getting a bit too specific cuz the peole above are from Salisbury.

10. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    No, I don't think sithspawn posts anymore, I haven't seen him around for a while.

11. saerah

May 13, 1999
    I wouldn't mind trying to be the representative out here in Western MD again. I've been posting at local boards trying to get people to join, but they are against driving to Baltimore.

12. PaSco

PaSco Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    I support this idea of smaller groups within the larger FF. I think the best idea would be three groups; Western, Central, and Eastern. Also, as far as recuiting new memebers, what place would be better to find people than a local convention? Someone could be a representative at the conventions, maybe even have a table of some sort for people to find out more info on the MDFF. Also, there is another group of fans that are part of the Rebel Legion called Rebel Legion:Echo Base which are the Northeast part of the US. If you go to the main site for the rebel legion, Virginia/West Virginia/DC are part of a different group. Perhaps we could contact them and find some more members that way, or be affiliated with them. I'm actually in the process of joining them so I'll know more as soon as I have my outfit done and sent in.

13. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jedi_Insurance_Guy Jedi Master star 5

Jul 27, 2004
    Targeter, I'm from the Eastern Shore! But now I live in Havre de Grace.

Which brings up an interseting question - if we divide up the groups, could members of one region still attend the meetings/get-togethers of other regions? I ask this specifically because I travel between HdG, Baltimore, and Salisbury/OC quite a bit.

14. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    Yeah, I know, I just wasn't counting you since you don't technically live down here anymore.

And I'm all for people trying to attend other mini-chapter meetings. We might end up with more attendance that way.

15. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Of course, Jedi_Insurance_Guy. These mini-meetings won't be for seperate fanforces, but different areas within the same fanforce, the Maryland Fanforce.

A member could attend all of the meetings of each section. The division would be to help those members that are unable to travel to the central MD location of our meetings. No matter which meetings you attend, you're still a member of the MDFF, either be an Eastern Shore meeting or a Western MD meeting.

16. saerah

May 13, 1999
    I think this is a great idea :)

17. HauntedMemory

Jan 25, 2005
    Here's something to ponder. If it has taken me this long to find you guys, imagine how many others there are out there looking for this sort of group. What exactly happened with MDFF that it lost so many members?? I think the convention idea, where someone would man a table and advise of the existance of MDFF, is a GREAT start!!

18. PaSco

Dec 22, 2004
    Well the convention next month is a little too close for us to get anything together in time, but the convention in May is a possibility. But at the convention next month I and any one else who goes, can spread the word by mouth. Talk to the other convention attendies and let them know of the existance. Also, what does everyone else think about being in contact with the other group from the area? The other group is a regional group so perhaps there are Maryland based members looking for other people in MD.

19. saerah

May 13, 1999
    I definitely think the website needs to be rebuilt--I haven't been able to put anything together as of yet due to other sites I need to finish for work.

I think i would be able to attract more Western MD'ers as long as the meeting is in Garrett or Allegany county. Driving down to Baltimore is a lot to do in the winter if the weather is bad.

20. HauntedMemory

Jan 25, 2005
    What help can I give in getting the site back up? How about all who are going to the convention, meeting at a certain place and time? I could throw some t-shirts together with the MDFF logos and possibly print up some flyers to hand out.

21. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    This all sounds great, and I personally would like to have an EU discussion group and I know that not everyone is an EU liker, so that would divide things. Don't forget if you need a public place to meet that is closer to Sareah, you can come to the planetarium.

22. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Mogook and Isbeth--I would be more than willing to handle the site in some way..installing a program like Movable Type (http://www.movabletype.org) would make it easier to update. I'll try my best to get a mock-up together.

23. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I was thinking of using some sort of php news program. MovableType should work.

I think the best thing to do right now is to think of some new designs. I like the current banner for the site, but change is good and it's been up there for a while.

24. PaSco

Dec 22, 2004
    Haunted, I don't know if anyone else is going but I do know that I am. I'm willing to be the MDFF representative at this convention if that is ok with everyone else.

25. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Sounds good to me, what do you think, Mogook?:confused: PaSco can you report back on what happened in a thread on the boards and take some pictures, maybe recruit some new members?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.