main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Ideas for Mando armor

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by 72Princess, Feb 27, 2013.

1. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005

Something Steve and I have been throwing around for the last two years. Mandos are environment based. So with the Buffalo area our home it made sense to be snow based.

THere are photos of a few variants people have done, but you know me I want to be different.

2. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Basement dungeon crawls are sometimes the best!

3. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    Perhaps carved out then use worbla - it can be heated , then placed over the carved design to form. It does not get hot enough to melt the foam. But is pliable enough to fit the mold.

4. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    Count me in as well. Love the idea of snow Mandos.

5. DEE_SKYWALKER

DEE_SKYWALKER Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 12, 2011
    A tribe of snow mandos? Interesting..... I might have to work on mine right away.....

6. BobbyFromBUF

BobbyFromBUF Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 23, 2013
    I think I'm down for this. I actually saw some flight suits like the one in the Dented Helmet Thread at Uncle Sam's Army/Navy surplus store downtown in the Larkin building. That store has sales all the time with 50% off surplus items. I only know because I was considering building a Ghostbusters costume last year, and that costume requires a similar flightsuit.

7. MakanPyralis

MakanPyralis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    Trash can armor was how I made my first costume, which was a mando. In my opinion, its the best way to go.

8. JediKnightLisa

JediKnightLisa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2002
    Count me in too! Would love to do a Mando!

9. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    So I have been looking at some sites for sintra. Sintra is a sheet of plastic that can be cut, heated, and shaped. This makes it great for mandalorian armor. The shipping on this can be rather expensive, so the more sheets you buy, the cheaper the overall price will be.

A sheet is 4 foot by 8. A full suit uses less than half of that. The price of the one supplier I found is $40(or $20 for a half sheet), plus the shipping.

Is anyone interested in using sintra for their armor?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    if you're going to Sintra then I know there is a place in Rochester that sells it, might be cheaper to pick up than ship

11. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    There is a place here in buffalo too. The last time I went there, they charged me $100 for the same size sheet. The company i found will cut the sheets to 2ft x 4ft to save on shipping. If we order 3 sheets (which is enough for 6 people to make armor), it will cost less that $30 per person.

12. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    Is Sintra less expensive than Worbla?

13. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    I can't answer that. I have never used nor looked into buying worbla. I just did a search and cannot find a supplier. maybe someone else will have better luck?

14. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    I know Dan and Anna have already gotten some worbla so sure they have info....although I'm pretty sure they had go get from overseas

15. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    I would be interested in the Sintra if there is a good tutorial out there. Especially if it is less expensive than Worbla.
    I'd be happy to host some armor making parties over the summer if we want to get this going...

16. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I got a pretty big roll of it for around $100. There's more you can do with worbla, but the sintra is far cheaper in the long run.

If memory serves Kyle once made a mando from a $9 trash can

17. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Both Anna and I bought our worbla from a female cosplayer name Yaya Han. Other than 1 cosplayer website, she's the only other way to get it stateside.

18. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    Yes, Yes I did.

There are some tutorials out there, and I have experience in making mando armor to help out.

19. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm in. Just need to get a bigger group together. This would be awesome if we could get all the costumes together for that wedding request!

20. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    We definitely need to have a meeting. An armor making party is a great idea as well!

21. BobbyFromBUF

BobbyFromBUF Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 23, 2013
    I'm sort of in the middle of basement remodel. Once I get things straightened out down there, I'd love to host. It might be a month or two, but hopefully not too long.

22. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    both sintra and worbla are in the family of thermoplastics but both can be used differently. for most costume armored costumes sintra will work great and it comes in varying degrees of thickness. Worbla is only one thickness but can be layed( and it is recommended ), with a little heat worbla can stick to itself and be formed in anyway imaginable. The main difference between sintra and worbla is that sintra is a closed cell thermoplastic and worbla is not. sintra has that nice shiny "shell" to it and worbla is just the metlable, plyable, and moldable material in sheet form.

both are great and both will get the job done.

23. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
  24. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    This thread was initiated with a link to a trash can tutorial for Mando armor. ;-)

25. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    Expanded foam can be carved and reinforced with paper mâché. Check out this tutorial. Be sure to press CC to translate!!