main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Ideas for possible appearances

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by KickingnScreaming, Jul 30, 2006.

1. KickingnScreaming

KickingnScreaming Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2006
    Okay,
    I just emailed the below organizations about making an appearance at a charity event/children's ward. Does anyone have any other ideas for charity events? I know Kat has a huge list for the new DVD release, but what about more charitable events?

Make A Wish Foundation of Arizona
    Candlelighters of Tucson
    Ronald McDonald House of Tucson
    Tucson Children's Museum
    Casa De Los Ninos
    Child Life Program at Tucson Medical Center
    Pediatrics at University Medical Center

I'll let you know what I find out at the Aug. meeting.

2. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    I do?

Looks like a good list you have going there!

3. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    I know its not "kids" but charitable none the less. How about my moms nursing home? Posada Del Sol? they also do a christmas wish tree that last year on chrsitmas eve still had several ungranted wishes which totally broke my heart. Most of thepeople in this nursing home have no families or visitors what so ever. This is a state funded facility as well not private so they are always a little under budget as well.

-Chris

4. KickingnScreaming

May 26, 2006
    What do you guys think about having a charity that we do little things for all year? We could keep the same one year after year or change twice a year...something like that?

Like with Chris's idea..what about taking on the nursing home and making christmas cards, ornaments or small craft items at our meetings? Not every meeting but made twice a year do a "meeting with a mission". Then when we do a (once or twice a year) event at that charity we can bring the things we have collected or made?

Just an idea.

Please don't get me wrong about this..the meetings I have been to are great and fun, but maybe if we kept our hands as busy as are mouths tend to be we could accomplish something really great for our "pet" charity.

<sidenote> Kat I was talking about the list of 50 places to call about the DVD release.

5. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Michele doesn't think we're busy enough!

My vote for the first item we make.....festivly decorated thermal detonators!!

6. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    How about festively decorated helmets? Maybe some weapons to create some "4th of July fireworks?

7. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    you guys all know, I am totally for the charities...especially for the kids...its why I am here. Just keep me posted, and call me if any help is needed. [face_flag]

8. 14of3amberofborg

14of3amberofborg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    Hey Michelle-
    Count me in. We can come up with a list of pet charities, pick one or two and plan on what to do. Pretty much I think that at the very least your family, our, and frankie, (if no one else wants to participate) is interested in this. I am all for it. Let me know what you need help on. I have all afternoon weekdays available.

9. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Can I be a charity?

No . . . seriously.

I mean it.

Not kidding.

At all.

:(

10. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Sorry there is already a Charity of Hope [face_laugh]

-Chris

11. jedirevan1

jedirevan1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2006
    Same goes for me. Just let me know if there's anything the folks down in SV can do to help.

12. KickingnScreaming

May 26, 2006
    How about starting a list of possible charities?

some ideas are:

youth on their own (helps kids stay in school when they have NO adult guardian: school supplies, toiletries, living expences, etc)

children and family services (intermediary for CPS)

Tucson Food Bank

13. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    I enjoy doing nursing home visits. Back in high school, I'd go with different clubs and we'd sing to and play music for the residents. Only problem I see with this group going to a nursing home is that we are a Star Wars group, and many of the eldery people I know hate science fiction, and thus Star Wars.

14. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Plus Nihilus and vader look to much like the specter of death! They'll think they're time has come![face_skull]

15. KickingnScreaming

May 26, 2006
    Okay, Tucson Children's Museum is a no go.
    They don't know how they would fit us "into their program". Said they appreciated the offer though.

I will keep you all updated on the progress!

16. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    As far as the nursing home goes I know many of the residents do in fact watch the movies in their rooms and like I said it may not just be the characters but someone at all and possibly help out with their christmas tree doing a drive. Most of the christmas wish tree requests are clothes. There are some larger requests like movies books magazines and used tvs/vcrs/dvds. Most of these things people just get rid of so if we keep our eyes opened now we could really help out!

-Chris

17. KickingnScreaming

May 26, 2006
    Let's do that then. Everyone keep their eyes peeled for lightly used or new clothing, electronics, books, movies, etc. As some of us are moving this year it would be a nice if we could set these things aside and give in December.

18. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I know I spoke with a board friend here about senior citizens and one of the points we spoke about is that during the holidays many of them get forgotten. Some places/home/etc have a senior citizens version of Angel Tree. That way the folks don't get forgotten.

So, here is an idea:

1. Find a home that does a Senior Angel Tree

2. Find a Mall that would be on board for working with the group

3. Set up a list of gifts for the seniors

4. Have a day where people could come to the Mall, bring a gift and get their picture taken with the characters . . . just like we did with the Katrina event

There is my helpful idea of the day. Now I'm tapped and I'm going to go . . . :p

19. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Thats what I was saying Hope. They already put up their own tree but the problem is that people take the present and never follow through or like last year on Christmas eve there were 17 yes 17 left! It does sound like a great idea about taking the tree with us and possibly even accepting donations for this project but we would need a location to hold this event.

-Chris

20. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Spectre of death!!! [face_skull]

21. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Perhaps you can find new ways to motivate them. [face_skull]

OK, so if you all do this in a Mall they can't get their picture taken with the characters until they bring the present back. ;)

22. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    different Cat, Kat.... it was me that has the list, the list I need to get emailed to Kickin Screamin.

I look forward to hearing what you(Michele) find out at the August meeting as well.. we also have March of Dimes that would love to have us do other things for them, and the MS group here in Tucson as well is interested in us being a part of that group as well... the christmas idea follows the idea we discussed for adopting a family at christmas, or something similar.. we also still have the foodbank idea to put with the dvd release, the foodbank is as always eager to have us help in any way, and also toys for tots should have info for us by the august meeting as well.

23. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
  24. TSNFETT

TSNFETT Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2006
    May I suggest... Putting together your own Charity event. As a Club/FanForce you can decide on who is to receive the proceeds. It can be a Toy drive, Food drive, Clothing drive.
    Possiable Org's:
    Gosple rescure mission-Food, blankets,Clothing, and Cash!
    Tucson Food bank-Food, and cash!
    Make a wish- teddy bears!
    American Lung Assoc- "Walkathon coming in November"

Possiable locations:
    Any mall with a book store, toy Store, Software store or Game room!
    Movie Theater_ Foothills mall has Birthday events { for donation appear at a Party}
    Pima Air & Space museum_ They have a neat space display!

having done some freelancing in regard to these events keep in mind that a business wants to know whats in it for them, how will it effect their Business?
    Know ahead of time what you need from them, Space, Poster space, promotion!

It seems that now days Prop Guns/ Blasters scare folks...so I would suggets a Safty plug (removable of course) be figured into your weapon, Bright orange/yellow. I have shown up with My blasters at many events and was not questioned due to these plugs.
    Hope this all isnt old news

25. KickingnScreaming

May 26, 2006
    Had meetings with both TMC and UMC. Dustin will update everyone at the TFF meeting.

We have to do a toy drive ! bring your ideas to the meeting