FF:WA Ideas for your next meet

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by JediLeia21, Jan 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLeia21 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    hi , if anyone hasn't seen my post i can't attend on the 17th of Feb , i have to attend my own graduation party.

Yeh!!!!!! Finally finishing my travel course , at last :)

sorry , i had a brief momnent of freedom there :D

Yeh the 10th sounds good to me
  2. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    *Smearing blue woad on half my face and neck, strapping on my lightsaber and charging my horse across the camp*

They make take our lives, but they will never take OUR FAN CLUB!!!

*This is the cue for you all to go totally nuts, thrust your fists into the air and join the cause*
  3. Grizzly Jedi Master

star 4
    hahahaha reminds me of some fan made trailers for ep1 and now ep2 with a bit from braveheart of one of the big battle scenes.... kilts and lightsabers :))
  4. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Just don't go as far as taunting the enemy.
  5. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    You bled with Qui-Gon; now, bleed with me!
  6. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    In all seriousness, I'm only trying to get people psyched up about doing this; for one thing, it's like I told Spider the other night, it's not like we're selling used cars here. This is about a fan club; I never thought I'd see so much hemming, hawing and hand-wringing over whether or not to join a fan club! You are not being asked to change your religion or gender, we don't want your credit card details and no salesman will come to your home!

The whole point of all this is just to have fun and make some new friends. Get together once a month, watch some movies, have some laughs and just maybe exchange some ideas. Those of you beginning the arduous process of making fan films could use these meetings as a chance to pick the brains of your future audience, practice idea-pitching, even pick up some partners or cast and crew!

Here's another thought; that Network 10 bimbo Angela Bishop covers a story on Darth Vader coming to Perth for SwanCon; the footage shows Dave Prowse, flanked by a dozen homemade Stormies. Little kids go "ooh" and "ahh" when the obligatory ANH footage flashes on the screens, their parents get a tingle of sweet nostalgia, having seen it in their local cinema, and WE get to watch the footage with a self-satisfied smile that comes from knowing WE made that happen! Show me a person who does not think that would be totally cool, and I'll show that person the door!

For the first 2 years of my stay here, I had no friends; chummy workmates occasionally, but no mates. Now, I've got mates, I've got mates that like SW and Sci-Fi and most of the silly stuff I enjoy, and for the first time ever, I've got mates who aren't afraid to admit it publicly with taste and style! And I owe that to Outer Rim and Fan Force!

Soneil, you can have my $20, man! I think such a gift would even be worth the US dollar equivalent!

If I'm reaching anybody, ANYbody, please respond so to this topic.
  7. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    I read you loud and clear mate! This is AUSTRALIA, and we kinda except everyone for who they are, not where they come from over here. I think everyone is glad to have friends like ALL YOU GUYS! <sob>

I have a confession to make, the biggest thing I like about this OUTER RIM club is that everyone is keen on STAR WARS and getting about to talk about it, that's what I like. It's alot easier to find people who like the same stuff as you. Now that I have started my own fan film I know if I use you guys (and why wouldn't I) then you would put more passion in it then anyone else.

I'm glad to be here to!! :)
  8. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm anxious to see this get off the ground also,
    I think we should set the goal of getting this up and running in time to have our own EP2 screening. This is not unrealistic, there's at least one other sci-fi club in Perth that has filled cinemas for Star Trek movie premieres, so I truly believe this can and will happen.
  9. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Soul Krusher and Sith Magician are two excellent personifcations of this group's potential, both blessed with skills and wills, yet they could use a hand (in SM's case, literally) in making projects happen; a fortuitous happenstance as I find myself in the same position.

Thus could begin a symbiotic artistic relationship!
  10. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    A few months ago I had hoped to see the registration done by the year's end but we're getting close now. Several people have already commited to contribute to founding the club and that is just the beginning. Pinback and Sith Magician both have grand visions. I don't think either of them are being unrealistic since I share their goals.
    I guess goals is a key word. When we have our meeting (on a date being decided in another thread), let's set a few realistic goals and commit to seeing them through. Some long term goals and some short-term goals.
    The president of The Force Guild in QLD (some of you may know Ra-Atum) sent me a copy of their fanzine this week. They've got some exciting things planned and they're pretty new themselves. We could do likewise and the clubs in the other states are willing to help.
  11. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    How's this for short-term goals:

1.) Place the pre-registration ad in local papers.
    2.) Complete the registration process.
    3.) Organize a table in the Hucksters' Room at SwanCon.
    4.) Develop stationery and a subscription-only mailing list.

If we start right away -as in this weekend- we can have all or most of that done by March. It also seems to me that the first long-term goal should be to announce our presence at SwanCon in April and possibly try to attract some out-of-state memberships.

How's that sound to everybody?

Soneil, Grizzly and I had a long talk last night about raising cash for the registration, and we came to realize that between the three of us and the Princess, we could easily cover the necessary $80. Any cash we could raise apart from that could be applied toward the newspaper ad, organizing the table and developing the stationery. I'm holding off on asking about organizing the table until we're safely registered, so I don't know yet what that will cost, but I'm assuming at this point that will be the greatest expense we currently face. Stuff like stationery and ads in the papers tend to be negligible costs. I just brought that up because I know the sordid topic of coin can be scary in these cases, nobody wants to invest because nobody can really see where this is going.

But, that's why I posted this message; to show that we are organizing, we do have a plan, we are motivated to see it through and we are willing and able to cover the costs involved. It's my hope -and I think it's safe to say I'm not just talking for myself here- that this gesture will bolster those of you interested in making this group into a real organization, galvanize you into joining us in this process, and the further processes we will enact to make Outer Rim grow strong and large.

So, whaddya think?
  12. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    Well its the first concrete information I've seen yet, so its not bad at all. If we were to have a stand at the convention, what could we show, coz its still pretty early days for us. Wouldn't we need to attract people by showing them what we can offer?

Just startin ideas thats all!!
  13. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, when I was talking with Soneil the other night, he said something about opening a small "trading post" at the Con, stuff like old SW toys, legos, stuff like that. What I'd also like to see happen is to have a subscription-only mailing list for Outer Rim info and updates, prominently displayed at our booth to attract the attention of potential new members in the Perth area, as well as interstate subscribers. Of course, stuff like a newsletter are still in that nebulous planning stage, but having official stationery will make that easier to do.

Hey, the more ideas we can get flowing, the better! Maybe you could hype "Imperial Threat" at the booth, we could set up a computer and loop the footage you just posted?
  14. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey Grizzly, why don't you bring your logo sketch to the meet as well?

15. Grizzly Jedi Master

star 4
    it's more of a storyboard thing like tf.n have for the fan films, but yeah.. i will cos i forgot last weekend
  16. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    You have it as a storyboard, so there is animation involved? Are they colour, they better be!! :)
  17. Grizzly Jedi Master

star 4
    hey i'm a crap artist, so don't expect too much.. it's just a rough thing to give you a visual idea of what i mean
  18. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    That's alright. We're a crap audience so we'll forgive you.
  19. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    A crap artist ay? So we should expect a successful but readable piece of crap then!! Oh good, I'll look forward to it! :D
  20. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just wanted to report on a surprisingly productive afternoon; I joined SithMagician for a day on the town, moving and shaking, making stuff happen. In the course of an afternoon we began cultivating relationships that will greatly enrich the activities of the group and open up new avenues of expansion to us, some may surprise you!

Anyway, there's some sizzle; save room for the steak on Saturday night!
  21. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    If you'd left half an hour later I probably would have joined you. Alas there was no-one home when I dropped by.
  22. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    I had no idea you'd stopped by, or was planning to; you should've called!

No matter, we'll both be lurking at the Twilight Diecast Fair Friday night (9th Feb.), commences at 7:30pm, at Collins St. Centre off Canning Hwy. Admission is $1.00. SM and I plan to lurk about, on recon duty, and check out how people sell stuff at fairs and conventions.

Anyone interested is invited to meet us there; this does NOT exclude anyone from attending the meet on Saturday night if they've already confirmed! Anyone skips the meet, and we'll cut ya, cut ya down like dogs!

We'll be prepared on Saturday to present some research results from the fair, hopefully we'll be able to share some insights into presenting a group at large events; should be good!
  23. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just thought we should revive this topic; we've got a lot to sit down and talk about!
  24. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    Princess Lego just raised a really good point in the SWD thread; we need to get together and discuss a Constitution for the OR, and what we're gonna do about SwanCon.

So who hasn't hosted yet?
  25. Pinback Jedi Knight

star 1
    *Watching a lone tumbleweed roll by*

Ooooooookay...

Starting to feel like JediPaulaw here...

*lo...OH GOD!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.