main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Idiots Array's Birthday Bash in the Pines...Complete with PAINTBALL!!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jedi_Wench, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    [face_laugh] I was thinking about the snipe thing until I remembered that Mick was a whiz kid at all things animalian and such.

2. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I was referring to things like mountain lion repellent, bear procedures, shadows on the tent, etc.

Oh and Mick, be careful what you do in your tent when the flashlight is on in the dark. Otherwise people may know more about you than you want them to ;)

3. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    The Common Snipe, also known as Gallinago gallinago of the sub species delicata is a common source of practical jokes among those new to either the outdoors or a group of people (as in college freshmen). I did, however, err in my previous post, as this species is found in the Southwestern part of the United States. This is a carnivorous migratory bird that could be found in AZ, as well as NM, TX and UT, however this is only true during the summer months.

4. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    but... i mean... the snipe and... no, no, no you're ruining it for me! ;)

sigh. better just break out the supersoaker full of margarita.

5. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Technically since the (rough) definition of a sniper, since the napoleonic wars, is a sharpshooter that specializes in precision shooting of people...the woods will be full of "snipes" :)

I used that definition when asked to go snipe hunting at ASU...I was able to make them withdraw the offer.

6. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    There is a difference between a snipe and a sniper dear

7. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Not really. Sniper came from the term meaning to hit snipes at long distances with the inaccurate flintlocks and matchlocks at the time. Anyone who could was called a "sniper" as a title that equaled "expert marksman" They just kept the term and changed targets.

8. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    Which means theres the same difference as predator and prey there

9. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    To some degree, just with a very specialized kill style. But...back on topic. We can discuss this tonight instead.

10. blackfeather

Oct 6, 2002
    the same thing occured to me when i first heard the word "snipe," void. didn't know the historical background to it though.

11. blackfeather

Oct 6, 2002
    hey guys, if my gf makes it here the following weekend, can i bring her along on the camping trip?

12. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    All fan force activities (excluding 21+ parties) are open to all Fan Force members, their family, and their friends.

13. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I think he meant to say "yes." :D

14. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    Ok since I won't be making it to the meeting, I will not be able to chat with everyone about plans for this trip.

Christian will have to do that for me.

Some ideas that I've had are the following:

FOOD: Since this group is notorious for slamming things together at the last minute, I have decided to only host two large meals: Lunch on Saturday, and breakfast on Sunday morning. Everyone will still need to pitch in different food items, but I will help with the cooking and make sure everyone is fed. Other than that, you're on your own for meals ie: dinner on Friday night if you come up, and breakfast, and dinner on Saturday.

Lunch on Saturday: I was thinking sub sandwiches, chips, and drinks that everyone could pitch in for.

Breakfast on Sunday: Pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, OJ, and milk.

*If you have any requests or ideas, let me or Christian know*

For those of you who've never camped before, some ideas for easy meals are canned foods that you can plop in a pan and heat on a camping stove (beef stew, chili, etc), hot dogs that you can cook on a stick over a fire, things like that...think easy and portable.

Good snack items to bring (especially if you plan to play paintball) are: granola bars, trail mix, gummy bears, things that won't melt or go bad.

Bring lots of water or other beverages to drink to keep hydrated.

Since there will be no showers, bring wipes to clean up with or extra water to wash your face and hands with.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

15. blackfeather

Oct 6, 2002
    don't forget utensils and stuff. paper plates & napkins, a tub to wash/clean the pots & pans in, those huge water tanks, bug spray-
    last time i was in the deep woods i had a scorpion crawl over me to sting the kid two sleeping bags over. and this was inside a cabin. :eek:
    -gas or electric lanterns, oh! should we include grills for steaks? mmm, steaks. and flat iron griddles for heating up tortillas at breakfast. it's practically an edible utensil, a tortilla.
    say, should we do a supply run the night before we head out? that way we can be sure we got everything.

16. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    Excellent ideas blackfeather I'll be bringing as much camping gear as we have and I encourage everyone else to do the same so that those who do not have certain things can borrow.

I'll be brining campstoves, lanterns, etc and extra sleeping bags.

We need to also remember to bring garbage bags and coolers to put food into at night. The number one thing that attracts racoons, skunks and coyotes up here is food and candy. SO we will need to lock up food tight.

Make sure to bring flashlights, your own roll of toilet paper and a shovel to dig your own hole too.

17. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    ok that last part is gross 8-} i wasnt expecting to read that.

18. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Noob, huh :)

Trust me, talk about it now instead of scrambling later....improvisation isn't good there.

19. chickey

chickey Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 21, 2002
    Everybody, remember to bring a paper bag, and create a really big loose circle. Everyone will slowly start walking toward the middle, while going, "snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe."

20. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Command Post Store Information:

Hours Tuesday-Friday 10-6
    Saturday 10-5

MESA
    2111 S. Alma School Rd
    Fiesta Square Center
    480-755-2442

PHOENIX
    2734 W. Bell Rd #1346
    Bell Canyon Pavillions
    602-863-2569

TEMPE
    1432 N. Scottsdale Rd.
    Union Square Center
    480-970-6329

IA EDIT: I just happen to have posted at 11:38

21. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    Thanks IA for posting that! :D

People who wish to join me on Friday afternoon can start arriving at 1500. You will be enlisted to help get everything ready for Saturday, but you will be rewarded for your efforts. It is highly likely that we will begin building my Lego Star Destroyer that night.

The thing weighs 22 lbs in the box so I doubt I will be taking it to Phoenix to be built and then try to get it back up here in one piece. So if you wanna help build it, come Friday night.

Chrisitian has directions to my house and is planning on printing them out for everybody, or you can PM me and I'll give them to you.

Also if you come up Friday night, Saturday morning we'll go out to the campsite before everyone else arrives and start setting up. The plus side of this is that you get your pick of campsites. :D

Once everyone is here the festivities begin! Hoodly Hoo!

Please don't forget to sign up for food and such AND we still need to come up with a rendevouz time and place in Flag for those of you who can't make it up until Saturday morning.

SO POST PLEASE!!!

22. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    AGH! We might be up Friday night after all. I'll talk to Brandy...

23. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Nope, planning for Saturday morning.

24. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Oki, so Mick and I are thinking Friday night, then I can help set up saturday morning.

25. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    Please do Biscuit!!! Your help would be greatly appreciated! [face_smile]

BUT...only if I get a spinning Biscuit Hug!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.