main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA IEFF in Christmas parade in Victorville?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jangosmom, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    hsf- this wasn't blowing anything up and I'm sorry if you took it that way. jf77 also had concerns about it being cheesy. I think all of us, ultimately would have that concern. I think all of us know that to do public events, like the 501st, or any of the costuming groups, they expect a certain quality of costume to be part of their group, since they are in the public eye. There are certain events, like the one we did with the OC group a few weeks ago, where they said it didn't matter what kind of costume, they just needed to draw attention to the event.We all are looking to draw attention to our group in a favorable light. I know we are all still getting to know each other and sometimes typing is not as conducive as face to face talking to really understand where someone is coming from. I was not frustrated or upset when I responded, I was just responding to concerns and voicing my opinion in response to some of the concerns that had been expressed on the board. I don't think there's anything wrong with any opinion you voiced. I agree, we should have pride in what we do, if we do something, it should be done to the best of our abilities and things shouldn't be thrown together, unless it's a spur of the moment thing that we all decide that's what we should do. I was happy you shared the pics you did. I only mentioned that we are not the 501st in that they are huge and structured and well equipped for the events that they do. Not everyone in our group has a desire to dress up. We're not a costuming group per say, like the 501st is.To be in the 501st, you know that you're going to put out money for costumes. That was my point. Nothing more. I truly am sorry that you took my post in a way other than I meant it. Your enthusiasm for this group has been greatly appreciated and you have been a huge asset to the IEFF. I truly don't have an agenda for the parade. I heard about it and thought I'd bring it up to see what you guys thought. My heart's not set on it, etc., if we do it great, it'll be fun, like everything we do together, if we don't do it, that's ok too. I just thought because we're such a small group of people, for something like this, we can't just have a hand full of us doing it. The majority has to want to be behind it for it to be successful. Believe me, my life has enough drama in it, I wasn't looking to cause any here. Please accept my apologies, hsf and anyone else if I was offensive in anyway!

2. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    I don't think any implied or meant to imply anything like that. I think we would all want to look nice and have fun and I am sure everyone knows that they are not expected to dish out tons of dough on this. We could apply to be in the parade and take it form there. Jangosmom offered the use of costumes. We might have some extra...I'm sure if we all pool together we could do something great. We know some guys with nice Stormtrooper gear who might be willing to make an appearance. I would hate to think that people on here feel put upon or what not. I hope everyone would still like to make the effort to in the parade? It could be a really, fun great way to show off our love of Star Wars. [face_batting] So everyone willing to give it a go?

3. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Here's my suggestion. Let's go ahead and put the application in due to there being a deadline. If we don't turn one in, we don't have an option at all. We'll discuss it at our meeting and decide for sure there. If we agree to go for it, everything will be in place for us to make a go of it. If we decide against participating, we can let the folks in charge of the parade know and we'll be done with it. However, I'm doubting that's the way it's gonna go.

It's hard to judge the feelings behind the words we type on the board. It's all very black and white with no facial expressions or voice tone and can seem rather harsh. I believe I've got a general idea of the hearts of the people in our group and they're all really really good! We're not mean people! We're not the types to try to hurt others or be harsh.

JM, you're doing a good thing by figuring this all out. Thanks! HSF, I appreciate your concern about how our group is gonna look and really enjoyed the parade pix. I don't for a second think you were being mean. You're looking out for our integrity and I'm thankful! I was concerned too, until I learned that a large portion of the group actually has quality costumes. Looks like I'm on of the few that doesn't (I'm working on changing that, though). At very least, I've got a really great club shirt to wear. Maybe I can just carry our banner!

4. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    there's one other thing to consider- the application wants to know exactly what you're doing. Either walking, riding, car, float, numbers of people etc. That's how they decide which groups to accept or deny. We can't wait until the meeting to figure all that out.

5. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    I would have two people walk with the banner in front of the falcon anybody else who can make it in their costume could walk behind/alongside the falcon.

I assume this isn't a huge big parade and if we have 2 infront of the car and maybe 4 behind then we'd have a decent showing. It's not the rose parade. Parades are cheesy by nature anyways, it's all about having fun.

As far as other groups go, yes invite them along. They need to be clear that they are walking with us as an official IEFF event and that they need to check in with us as were the ones organising it.

6. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    I HATE YOU ALL!!!! :mad:

ok just kidding :p

7. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I'll speak to the other groups and the 501st/RL.

8. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    That's okay DSBP. We all hate you too!!

:D

9. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    this for the group and especially JM:

you're right. typing cannot show expressions or tone. I may have taken what I saw a little out of context and without thinking (DUH), I should've known better as I don't think there's a mean spirited bone in your body JM. I may have gotten a little excited to say the least. I love our group so much and I want the best for it as we all do. so we had our first group spat...will you forgive me for implying anything toward you or the group? [:D]

10. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    thank you hsf, yes, all's forgiven. I truly didn't mean anything bad....I hate confrontation and about the only thing I really get riled up about in life is people being mistreated,especailly children. I'm known for being easy going, and I hope as you get to know me, that you'll see that too! I didn't sleep at all last night just thinking about all of this and I'm crying now as I'm typing this. I'm just so relieved it's all over and everything's ok. I'm a real wimp when it comes to fighting/disagreements, whatever you want to call it, especially with everything I'm going through in my personal life. I'm the poster child for an emotional woman right now. So, let's say that we put all of this behind us & move on. This year, our group has been an escape for Ryan and me from our life and it has really been our lifeline to having fun again, so let's get back to the craziness, sarcasm (DSBP, that would be you!)and laughter again!!![:D]

11. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Does that mean we don't hate DSBP anymore?

12. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Ya'll know I'm kidding... right?

13. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    So, if we're set for having the Falcon (HC?), it sounds like our entry will consist of the banner, the car with 2 people in it and 10 - 15 various members of the Rebellion and Empire (I'm thinking positive) walking around the general area of the car. Does that sound about right? We can have Christmas music playing (how is the Falcon's stereo?) intermixed with the SW and Imperial themes. Does John Williams have a Christmas album out? If he does, our theme music would blend right in!

JM, tell them that, next to Santa, we'll be the favorite children's entry there!!! :D

Besides, what says "Merry Christmas" better than Star Wars???

14. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Yup.

15. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    if we're only having walkers and not some sort of trailer/float, then I'll have Ryan's tie-pilot outfit someone can wear too. Because of his disabilites, he's not able to walk much at all, so that let's him out. If I can get my mom to go and sit with him during the parade then I can walk with you guys. If not, then Ryan and I will watch from the sidelines and cheer you all on and we'll have all of our costumes that are available for anyone that wants to borrow them.

16. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Sounds like Ryan gets to ride shotgun in the Falcon!! How cool for him! He needs to be a part of this!! Not only is he a kid (that's what the parade is for), he's part of our group, so we do whatever he needs. That's what we're supposed to be about, helping others! How would he feel about riding in the Falcon? Let us know what we can do to keep him involved! Personally, I'd be terribly disappointed if he wasn't able to be in the parade with us!!!!

17. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002

o_O

:p

18. DarthMalum

DarthMalum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2006
    I have confirmed with my freind he is in for the duel, am trying to get him to join today, but we can bring up the rear or go between the banner walkers and the car, just let us know.
    and sorry if i said anything that force pushed anyone, i just get excited when the chance to duel comes my way. YAY DUELING!!!
    ok i'm done now

19. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    We could do a float as well but where would we get one from?

20. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    We need to make a decision here on the boards.

First: Han-Chewie, is the Falcon available for the Victorille parade? If so, can Ryan be the co-pilot? He won't be able to participate if he can't ride. He's just too cool of a kid to leave behind!:cool:

Second: Do we just want to stick with the Falcon (if she's available to fly with us that day) and other members walk around the car?

More: If somebody wants to do more than the car, do you have access to a flatbed, how will it be decorated and how will those decorations be paid for?

Yet More: Here is the request site for the 501st. Do we want to make a formal request for a few Emperial type folks? I'd love to have a couple of Storm Troopers to add to our already awesome group!

Yet Still More: Do we limit the amount of costumers or the more the merrier? I have no idea how many people will volunteer, so this question may be mute!

What say you folks? We need to get some of these questions answered right away so that we can get the application in!

21. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Here are my thoughts and opinions (at the time being)...

Second: Do we just want to stick with the Falcon (if she's available to fly with us that day) and other members walk around the car?
    More: If somebody wants to do more than the car, do you have access to a flatbed, how will it be decorated and how will those decorations be paid for?

I think we should just stick with the car and walking with a banner, or just walking if the Falcon isn't available.

Yet More: Here is the request site for the 501st. Do we want to make a formal request for a few Emperial type folks? I'd love to have a couple of Storm Troopers to add to our already awesome group!
    Personally, I don't think it is necessary to make a formal request. It wouldn't take much to talk with those we know in the 501st and invite them. If they want to spread the word they can. If it's a formal request, then it becomes an official event for them, and they would have their own entry in the parade, not be there with us.

Yet Still More: Do we limit the amount of costumers or the more the merrier? I have no idea how many people will volunteer, so this question may be mute!
    The more the merrier (but as HSF implied, they should at least look better than cheap store-bought Halloween costumes)...

22. HanChewie

HanChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2006
    Hi everyone. Thank you for your support for the Falcon being in the parade. She has a loud stereo and I have all the music including the Meco Star Wars Christmas CD. Ryan would be more than welcome to ride shotgun in the Falcon. He really liked it when we showed it to him after the meeting. I am not sure how loud the stereo is on the outside of the car. We had it blaring at C-3 outside the convention center. Are we going to decorate the Falcon with a Christmas theme? I think that would be fun. When I show the Falcon at local car shows, she is definitly the most popular car there. We don't win very much, but that is OK. But, to get the reaction we get from the public is priceless. The kids love it. The real car guys don't get it except their reaction is why did they do that to the car? That is why we don't win that much. If the public voted, it would win. But I can care less if I win, I just love the kids coming over to see it. We would love to use her in the parade to represent the IEFF and Star Wars fans everywhere.

23. HanChewie

HanChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2006
    Relating to costumes, Bill has a very nice Han Solo costume and is very excited to wear it. My self and Brittany have Jedi costumes that we put together from store bought stuff. We don't need to wear them and just wear our IEFF t-shirts instead. I have been told that our costumes look good, but since I don't know how to sew, I found shirts and pants and boots that resemble the Jedi and we do have Jedi robes that are not bathrobes. I do wear a Jedi belt with my lightsaber attached to it. I don't have pics of them as of yet, but will work on it. And the Christmas album I have is "Christmas in the Stars" and have not heard it yet. And yes, Bill has Han Solo's belt and blaster. All I need is a wookie costume to complete the Millennium Falcon. LOL.

24. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    So, as of right now, we have the Falcon reserved with Ryan as the co-pilot. [face_dancing]

DH, I didn't realize what a formal request meant to the 501st. Sounds like word of mouth will be best for that!

As for how many should participate; I'm with DH on this one... the more the merrier. Of course, I'm the only one that gets to be a bathrobe jedi, everyone else has to look good!:D

As for the music; okay you techies out there, any suggestions to get the music outside of the car rather than inside? I'm sure there's a simple solution, I just don't have a clue as to what it is! We can't have the tunes blaring in our co-pilots face.

HC, I love your attitude about fans of your Falcon! It's all about the kids!! Seeing their eyes light up is absolutely the best!! Thanks for being willing to fly her in the parade with us!

25. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    We have a Greedo mask...he just needs clothes. I just thought of something...it's silly, but we could put him in a Santa suit. hee hee =D= Have a holly, jolly Christmas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.