IEFF Swag Ideas and How To Pay For Them

Discussion in 'Inland Empire CA' started by jedifan77, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A new administration, a new logo and a new image for the IEFF. Great! How do we pay for it?

This is the place to post all of your ideas and suggestions of how to generate money to pay for advertising and swag needs. This thread is where we need to come up with ways to help us move up to the next step with everybody coming along.

Here's what was suggested at the meeting:

1) Dues: $50 a year per family. Payments can be made

2) Fund Raisers: Yard sale, car wash? suggestions are needed.

3) Raffles: We can hold raffles at any event we do.

Please expand on these ideas and/or come up with other ideas!
  2. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I dont think we'll attract new members with $50 a year dues. I can join AAA for less than that! No New Taxes! No New Taxes!

Fundraising of some kind would be better. I think it would be a good idea to see how much things will cost to get done first then set priority for which items to get, if we dont raise enough we dont do them.

3. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    Problem is, that when things come up to get paid for, the same people end up paying for them. We all agreed at the meeting on the 13th that we wanted stuff and that we ALL need to help in the cost. We also agreed that we need to Polish our image and that's gonna cost money. If we don't do dues, which was one of three separate suggestions, then we need to do the other two.

Personally, I think we need to do all three but that's one persons opinion. As far as getting people to join, they'll join if there's dues if there's a reason for them to join and show them why there's dues in the first place. You join the 501st and that costs alot of money as in your costume. We don't need everyone, just the ones who want to be with us. But dues are not the only way to generate funds for the group as discussed at the meeting.

The dues, like any other association, goes to cover actual expenses that it incurs. To your AAA dues you mention, the benefits you get are a direct result of the many people paying for them that few actually ever use. Kinda like insurance, so it appears that you're getting something but only if you actually use it.

I've have AAA for the past FOUR years and haven't used a thing. That's $400 dollars and what did I get? When and if I need a tow, well that's been paid for several times now. Costco charges $55 a year for the "privelage" to shop there. You get nothing for that and until you spend a couple thousand dollars there, you then will recoupe your fee they charge.

The point i'm making is we need to do SOMETHING as the days of letting the group know that we need to buy something for the group but then try to collect from everyone is over. It's a different story when trying to cordinate collecting money, as it hasn't happen in the past and certain folks get left holding the bag with not getting reinbursed. And to not move forward because we don't have a plan to fund ourselves is frankly unacceptable. With what this group wants to do and become, will require us to come up creative ways to make it happen. :)
  4. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have AAA and have used it 5 or 6 times each year since I've been member. I even have the extended coverage so I can get towed for up to 70 miles from home. I've used that, too. It's worth every dime for me!!

On the fund raising issue, I have two groups of books ready for raffles. One is the first 3 books of the Twilight series and a Twilight movie book and the other is a group of about 10 kid level Star Wars books. I know they won't generate the type of fundage that the Clone Helmet did, but every dollar will help. Now, we just need an event where we can raffle them!

People, if you don't want to pay dues, then we need to get some suggestions going on this thread!!!
  5. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dude, you need to use it! It offers hundreds of discounts. I used mine twice the first month and it more than paid for itself getting discounts on all sorts of things and places. Discounts at Universal, Six Flags, Legoland, Knotts, Honda Center, Speedway, Boomers, SD Zoo, Seaworld, Ducks Tix, Kings Tix, Clippers Tix and that's just a small sample!40% on movie tickets good at Regal Cinemas! Check them out here

Back on topic......While the group does need promotional items it has to work within it's means. If we cant raise enough to buy all the things suggested then we should not proceed with buying them and nobody should be made to feel guilty about it.

Yes we need to raise money to buy some things but dues is not the way to do it. If you want to do that the legit way you?ll have to register the group as an organization with the state then apply for tax exemption as a Social Club.

I can offer stuff up for raffles. I have the entire Legacy of the Force book range in paperback. Never used.

The first step really should be what do we want and how much will it cost. Then get the money needed.

I'm sure for starters we could all pay $2 more for our t-shirts to go to the group kitty (wookie)? I would suggest apply that also to any club merchandise we make that members buy.
  6. Jedi_Knight_JT Jedi Master

star 2

These are good ideas. Everyone loves raffles. Since we're the IEFF, I think the raffles (whenever possible) should be for something Star Wars related. Makes sense right? Fund raisers would work too. Maybe we could have a car wash, or an auction, or something.

Having members pay dues makes sense too. However, $50 a year? I know that says "$50 a year per family", but what about those members who do not have other members of their family in the group? Should members who are just single members pay $50, or could they pay less since they don't have multiple memberships?
  7. jedi_onasi Jedi Master

star 3
    IV. Membership Dues
    We have no membership dues. Becoming an IEFF member is free, and as a member you will never be obligated to pay anything. However, some things do require money. In these circumstances, the Treasurer will collect money on a voluntary basis. Each member can choose to contribute or not, and can contribute as much as they feel comfortable with. The Treasurer will record who paid and what amount, so that if the total amount needed is not reached, every member who paid will get their money back.

Does this get amended if we start paying dues??
    Maybe it'll be better to just do raffles and car washes for now and hold off on the dues? Or should we vote on the amount of dues required?
    I understand JT's dilemma, for him to pay $50 just for himself, seems unfair.
    And I like Stuart's idea of paying a little more for our merchandise so it goes into the IEFF fund.
    Also, with the swag, can we just do the bookmarks for now and add more as we go?
    Or at least prioritize. We want a new banner so should that be done first?
  8. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Suggestions for swag..(pulled from june's minutes, thx Kari!)

1. New Shirts/Hoodies
    2. New Banner
    3. Bookmarks
    4. Buttons/Pins
    5. Bumperstickers
    6. Patches
  9. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    I'm glad we're getting this conversation started. We started this at the meeting and i'm glad we're getting this going. I've looked at several different fan force websites lately to see what they've got and what they do to be successful. One of the things that is done is having group marketing materials that actually look legit and not like we're living in a basement being internet stalkers. One's who made it to the meeting saw what I was talking about as in I actually gave examples...hence we need to do something with our image. I'll be posting a new IEFF fyler as in what i'm talking about.

To be clear, as it seems there's some confusion, as if this wasn't discussed at the meeting. With all the talk of being unfair or not, I'm not saying we HAVE TO do dues but it should be considered at least, as one of MANY options in raising funds for the group which I gave several alteratives to dues.

As to what Stuart wrote:

Suggestions for swag...

1. New Shirts/Hoodies
    2. New Banner
    3. Bookmarks
    4. Buttons/Pins
    5. Bumperstickers
    6. Patches

New shirts are the responsibility of each person needs or wants and doesn't fall under the same catagory per say as the banner getting paid for, as this would be a GROUP expense, as would bookmarks. I gave many ideas at the meeting above, as far as updated, more polished marketing materials to be presented to the public.

Bookmarks were the cheapest as of yet. Patches for example were discussed as a means of something for our group to have as in an event that was gone to. Having a Dickies Jacket or sweatshirt to put them on as well.

As to what JT wrote:

These are good ideas. Everyone loves raffles. Since we're the IEFF, I think the raffles (whenever possible) should be for something Star Wars related. Makes sense right? Fund raisers would work too. Maybe we could have a car wash, or an auction, or something.

Having members pay dues makes sense too. However, $50 a year? I know that says "$50 a year per family", but what about those members who do not have other members of their family in the group? Should members who are just single members pay $50, or could they pay less since they don't have multiple memberships?

This is why you needed to be at the meeting to voice your thoughts, as they're all very good ones. The due amount of $50 would be per family as well as per person for this reason. If you've got one person who pays $50, it's just as "unfair" as the family of four for them to pay $200. If you've got you or five people in your family, it costs the same per ticket to go to Disneyland, movies, dinner, Hyperspace membership, etc. etc. etc.

If we're not doing dues, then you're going to have to actually participation with the helping of the raffles + fund raisers if you're going to have any of the benefits from those.

As to what Nikol wrote:

Does this get amended if we start paying dues??
    Maybe it'll be better to just do raffles and car washes for now and hold off on the dues? Or should we vote on the amount of dues required?
    I understand JT's dilemma, for him to pay $50 just for himself, seems unfair.
    And I like Stuart's idea of paying a little more for our merchandise so it goes into the IEFF fund.
    Also, with the swag, can we just do the bookmarks for now and add more as we go?
    Or at least prioritize. We want a new banner so should that be done first?

Were you not there when we were discussing this? :p If we did have dues, yes it would be amended. JT's dilema is no worse than Bill + Sandy's then as they've got more people and would cost alot more in that case. When Sheila + I got out Hyperspace memeberships for C-IV, we didn't get a price break and what about the person who was by themselves? No different here.

As far as paying more for merchandise isn't neccasary, it's that it just gets paid for. We can't charge extra for shirts lets say, because we're not supposed to profit off of them. Besides, no need to. As was dicussed, the point o
  10. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The only thing I don't agree with is that the raffles have to be Star Wars related. That would put a limit on what we raffle and cut out a whole population that isn't {gasp} into Star Wars. How about more of a compromise? If we have something non SW to raffle, we should also have a SW prize, too. In other words, two raffles.

We've have 4 Twilight books that were donated to the IEFF to raffle off. There's a huge Twilight fan base. Do we not raffle them because they're not SW??? Something to think about.

If we go with non SW raffles, I've got a great idea for a basket. How many of us have at least 3 or 4 new bottles or tubes of some yummy smelling lotion, soap or other body product that we were given and just won't use? Let's donate them to a great cause and make a basket up. No cost to us and a great prize for somebody. One of our teachers did that for our school carnival and got a ton of donations just from the staff.

Since we're talking raffles, we need to figure out a venue to sell tickets and do the raffle. Any ideas?

Oh yea, one more swag suggestion: Business cards for all of us to carry. I'm constantly writing down our website on a piece of paper for people I meet in my day to day life. Handing them a simple business card with our info on it would be much more professional.

FYI: I just talked to Sonya and asked to see if Darren could get us some prices on shirts. He works part time at a screen printing place.

Stuart, do you remember where you got the last banner?
  11. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Mike, the thread was started for the purpose of getting people's opinions. I gave mine on dues. That's all i'm saying on it. Move along now, nothing to see here.

Kari, It was a while ago now since I got the last banner. If I recall I just googled custom banners and found a website. I think it was eighty something for it.

12. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    For the record as to put this to rest, I want to be clear as we all agreed if we're not having dues, which is fine, then we need to do fundraisers / raffles etc. We also agreed we want so much more for this group as we're at a crossroads in where we're headed.

If we do the latter two things, then EVERYONE needs to support those items by having something worthwhile to raffle or get donated and actually be a part of the fundraisers, not just benefit from them. To be clear, if we had dues, it would cost $4.00 per month to go towards the group, not $50 per month! To put this in perspective, what will it cost you in gas, time, items to be raffled for just one fundraiser? A medium coke at the movies costs more than whay you'd pay here folks.

Sorry if that seems like you're being guilted into something, but how can we say to people be apart of our fine group and you'll never have to contribute as we don't want you to feel guilty if you can't? What's being overlooked and is truly "unfair" is the fact that we have the same people for the most part that contribute financially with everyone who benefits. We're trying to get to that new place we want to go (we all agreed to that at the meeting), it takes money plain and simple.

We're not the same group we were a year ago folks and as we do so much more than we did, as we need an update which costs money. We as a group ALL decided at the meeting we wanted to improve or image and do more stuff and it's time to put something into action. If we decide no dues, then realize that everyone will have to have an equally active role in the fundraising + raffles we do.

For those of you that were not at the meeting or those who forgot, the purpose of the dues was to fund the group. The purpose of the fundraisers was to help people pay for activities per participation (i.e. if you're unable to afford to do certain events like CHOC because of funds this would have helped you.) Without the dues, there will either need to be that much more fundraising or there will be less money for people for activities. Either way, we need to decide what we're doing.

Please post here in favor for dues:

Mike + Sheila

Please post here in favor of Fundraiser / raffles that you'll actually participate in:

Mike + Sheila
  13. jedi_onasi Jedi Master

star 3
    To be clear, as it seems there's some confusion, as if this wasn't discussed at the meeting. With all the talk of being unfair or not, I'm not saying we HAVE TO do dues but it should be considered at least, as one of MANY options in raising funds for the group which I gave several alteratives to dues.

I get that. I'm also saying I recognize JT's plight. Either way, someone might get the better deal out of it. That's fine. It happens.

I'm also saying does it have to be $50? What does everyone feel about doing $50 or $40. I know that only amounts to $4 or less a month, but sometimes funds are tight for people.

It's difficult because I want the group to go further, but I don't want the issues of funds to put people off.
  14. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    I understand the financial thing is bad with a lot of people. But $4 a month? That means you have to scrape up $1 a week. Are you drinking sodas, bottles of water? Turn them in and get some money. Or, DON'T buy that one soda per week, set it aside for your dues. Or ask your friends or coworkers if they can save their bottles for you. Surely $1 a week isn't out of reach of anybody here.

As far as fundraisers, you need stuff to raffle off. Once our initial supply of donated items is gone, then what? We'll probably have to buy some stuff to raffle off. That means SOMEONE has to put out money to buy the stuff. And how many events do we do where we actually have a table going?

I think we should do a yard sale. We should figure out whose house would have the most traffic and do it there. Then we can have our table out, and something to raffle off, maybe some baked goods and lemonade to sell.

I personally don't want to do a carwash. I don't think they really work.

Oh, as far as shirts go, what color do we want them to be? It affects the price. Also, do we want to get women's and men's shirts? I'd like to get a v-neck t shirt for the women. I'm not talking about a "babydoll" t-shirt, but one that isn't quite so baggy and doesn't have a crew neck. Of course if you're a woman and would prefer the men's shirt, you can do that. So, what color?
  15. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well said, Sonya!

Remember, you don't have to pony up the money all at once. When you look at $50 at one time, that's a huge amount. However, if you're talking about $4 a month, that's do-able for almost anybody.

I think a yard sale would be a great opportunity for everybody. Bring your stuff and sell it for your dues. I have a great yard for it, but a really LOUSY location. Sorry! Does anybody else have a good location that's willing to have us invade? If possible, I think it should be held on a Saturday only. Let's just do a one day thing and get it done. That way you don't have to worry about things being out overnight.

Honestly, I'm good without a car wash. There's a lot of logistics to think about with that one and it might be more trouble than it's worth.

At this point, I think any fund raising profits need to go strictly toward IEFF needs. If we want to start handing it out to help members go to events we need to come up with some guidelines as to how we're going to decide who gets what. That's a whole nother kettle of fish that we don't need to fry at this moment. Let's just focus on IEFF advertising and swag needs. Once those are taken care of, we can address the other issue.
  16. jangosmom Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, here's my 2 cents worth. I know the $50.00 a year sounds overwhelming if you don't break it down to $4.00 per month. I know there are a few people in the group that are a little more financially well off because they are not students living at home etc., but there is no one in the group that has not been hit financially by the economy. Stuart and I have been in this group the longest, it's been 4 years now, and during that time there has been a very unequitable distribution of who pays for what the entire 4 years. It's always been whatever anybody can contribute and so that has meant that there have been certain people that have paid a larger portion of everything. Even as far as shirts go. People committed to buying them, Mike put out the money for them and when the time came to pay up and get their shirts, Mike got stuck with something like 12 shirts that he had to pay for out of his pocket and it took way over a year for him to re-coup his money.( I think that number is right, but I'm not positive, Mike would have to say for sure what the exact number was.) There was also a movie in L.A. that he purchased group tickets for, people said they were going to go and then he got stuck paying for something like 6 extra tickets, at $11.00 bucks a pop because people didn't show up. This sort of thing can not happen any more as no one is in a financial postion to afford that....besides the fact that it just is not fair. That is why it is easier to have the funds up front when we need something. I don't know if people even realize that this sort of thing has happened, but we all need to be aware and be on the same page and have the same understanding about it. I paid out of my own pocket 4 years ago for the foam fingers and flags etc. (transfer paper,ink cartridges, etc to put the logos that went on those said fingers/flags) that we have used at places like at CHOC WALK. I didn't mind doing that, and I'm not complaining at all about doing it, I'm just stating a fact. We have gotten our money's worth out of it, but I'm not in a position to do that again. Many of us have individually spent and donated pencils, buttons/items to hand out at comic book day(the first one) and other things like that that we have had tables at. Some of us have donated multiple big items for baskets for raffles, many times. I know I have spent at least $250-300, I'm sure it's more but I've lost track on stuff, that I have donated to the group over the last 4 years. Then there's everyone that has spent money on things like ink cartridges or paid to get copies made for flyers, magnets, stickers etc. Stuart has put out a lot of his own making business cards/magnets/flyers/website fees etc. The point I think Mike has tried to make and that we all must realize is that no, we don't want to not include anyone or have anyone precluded because they can't come up with money, but we are at the point that we need to change the way things have been done thus far. Three to four years ago, when it was just a couple of us, we all contributed what we could to make things happen and no one complained and it was all for the betterment of the group and we all just did what we had to do, but now we have grown substantially in number and the economy has affected us all and we just need to be fair. If we do fundraisers or raffles then it has to be everyone working them, everyone donating the same amounts etc., or if someone doesn't have money, then they need to be willing to work more etc. Maybe there's someone that can't make the time to work at something, but they can donate more items. The point is there are different ways to make it work, but it just needs to be fair and what we do needs to look nice, not thrown together the way that we have had to do it in the past. Mike wanted to have fundraisers in addition to dues, so that we could use those funds for members of our group who don't have funds to participate in some activiites. That way no one would miss out. He was just trying to think of ideas so that we could all function better as a group and enjoy
  17. DarthMalum Jedi Master

star 2
    I say that what Mike says is what I say!!!!!!!!!
  18. jedi_onasi Jedi Master

star 3
  19. DarthMalum Jedi Master

star 2
    ok now for my serious thoughts on the subjects.

1.) Use them hate them pay them fight them in superior court I don't care I stand here with my $50.00 in hand if needed, this is not to say I don't understand about money issues I fully do and have not gone to may things because I can't afford to.
    so my final stand I will pay them if we decide to and be just as happy if we don't

2.)Problem I have with fund raisers and raffels, great way to rais money but biggest problem is alot of people don't participate myself included i don't have the free time for alot of these things hence I will pay my dues. so if you don't want dues then step up to the plate and come up with idal and put somthing together.

I say let's have a coice everyone who participates in a raffel/ fund raiser whatever will rais miney for the group get's their name on the list once all the money is totalled up (Each even seperately) then the money is split up as evenly aspossable towards everyones name on that events list, the money goes towards their dues you rais $50.00 in the fiscal year you don't pay any dues. as for me who can't show up for alot of thngs will pay my $50.00 up front.

3.) We are aounding like the 501st/ Rebel Legion

4.) lastly for Mike. "So I am creating the first Glatic IEFF EMPIRE!!!!!! and we shall have peace. (I am behind you 100% no matter what my friend I am like that fat blue guy who his always standing behind Chancelor Palpatine)

p.s. sorry I am ranting with out my wife editing my message and no I am not drunk just a bucket head.

20. delta_1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Heh...the fat blue guy. That's great.
  21. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Kris, an opinion or suggestions would be nice.
  22. delta_1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agreed at the meeting: $4.00 a month is completely reasonable, and I am more than willing to help with more fund raisers.
  23. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  24. librarywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    At the PAB event the helmet was the key to the raffle, but Gamestop came through with some awesome giveaways as well, at least it says to those buying tickets that perhaps you don't win the grand prize but you have other chances to win as well. I really wanted the helmet but i'd be happy with some windshield washing fluid as well (why was that the first thing that popped into my head?). If the option is between non-SW related and nothing, seems that more or something is always better.
  25. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    Ronnie...my friend...my brother...I love you man!=D= [face_laugh] [:D]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.