I.E., CA IEFF Swag Ideas and How To Pay For Them

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jedifan77, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    I had an idea, so I'm just throwing it out there. If there are some who are absolutely unable to/don't want to pay the dues, how about making 2 levels of IEFF members? Those who pay dues are full-fledged members. That means they may participate in everything the IEFF does, buy all swag, go to all events, basically, enjoy the benefits that the money from the dues will bring us. Those that are unable/don't want to pay may continue to post online, are limited to buying a t-shirt, and may only participate in events where the IEFF won't be represented. This means outings like apple picking, the beach, fireworks, John Williams concerts, etc., as opposed to events like the Christmas parade, Free Comic Book Day, Star Wars Night, etc. What do you think?
  2. DarthMalum Jedi Master

star 2
    on second thought let's blame my Twi lek Spelling on drinking.
  3. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think that's too discriminatory (spelling?). I'm not sure what the real benefits of the "swag" will be. We all know from experience of the large amounts of stuff (Gift Baskets, Pens, Pencils, Buttons, Candy, Flyers) we've given away over the past 5 years that the new membership as a result of those items was not huge. We've done some great raffles and giveaways at events.

The real selling point of this group is all of you guys. That's what really gets us new members.

I totally understand these are all options. The only one I have an issue with is dues.

I personally disagree with charging dues for a free social group that anyone is welcome to join. It?s not the amount, a few bucks a month is not a big deal, it?s just charging for a free social group doesn?t sit well with me. People already pay out a lot of money to participate in all the great things we?ve done and continue to do.

I personally have never had an issue with paying for stickers, banners what not. When needed I?ve asked for contributions and got some back. It doesn?t bother me cos some people do more for the group in other ways, far more valuable than $. [:D]

That being said, the group is what it's members want it to be. So as always, the majority rules.
  4. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    By swag, I'm talking about stuff like the special patches Mike was thinking about doing for different events we do, not the stuff we're going to give away.

I disagree that our members pay out a lot of money to participate in the stuff we do. How so? What do we do regularly that costs a lot of money? Plus too, we had talked about at the meeting to look for stuff to do that is free (aside from gas and food, of course) instead of doing stuff that costs money (like bowling), so that everyone can participate.

Even if you don't personally have a problem with paying for stuff, it still isn't fair to those other people who usually end up footing the bill. A few people pay, everyone else enjoy? Also, if someone has put out a little money to buy something or see something done, I think they'd feel like they had more ownership of their group, more pride, more drive to make the event or whatever it is succeed.

That's my thoughts.
  5. Jedi_Knight_JT Jedi Master

star 2
    I would love to be at all the meetings, but most of the meetings are in places I am unable to get to unless I can 'bum-a-ride' from some one. I didn't say having everyone pay the same amount for possible dues was unfair. I understand we need to raise money so that we don't look like a 'cheesy group'. However, I'm an unemployed student so...

Being an unemployed student doesn't really help.... (not that I'm complaining...)

I only meant that we should have Star Wars related raffles when it's possible or sensible. (ie. @ Star Wars night a raffle item should be Star Wars related) Not all the time. The idea of having a Star Wars, & a non-Star Wars raffle makes sense & would help generate more money.
  6. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    I understand. Which is why I think the two levels of membership are ideal. Those who are seriously financially unable to pay dues, are probably already not coming out to a lot of our events or meetings anyway. That would mean you can continue your free membership in the club as usual, and join us for the occasional outing when you can. I think this would also be a good way to introduce new people into the group without pouncing on them and saying, okay, welcome, now start paying dues. They can post online, get to know us, join us at the beach, movies, etc., come along as a member of the general public and see what we do at our major events, then decide if they want to step up their involvement.
  7. DarthMalum Jedi Master

star 2
    how many people are in our group?
    or diffrent families... what is the total number of $50.00 dues that would be paid?
  8. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    off the top of my head I would think somewhere between $500 and $700 would be raised by dues.

Sounds like the majority wants to pay dues.

It would make sense to figure out how much all this stuff will cost and sort it by NEED (Being what we defintely need) and WANTS (Items that would be good if we could). If we know the costs beforehand we can set the dues at a relevant level.(Sorry, the Accountant in me popping out!)

I can see what people mean about the raffles. If the plan is to have less meetings and more activites (per the minutes) then it would not be practical to have a raffle every month and the number of people at the meetings varies every month. Maybe we can do a raffle at any event where we have a booth, just a suggestion.
  9. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's my understanding that the raffles would be for events where we have a table. Which means we probably won't have more than 2 or 3 opportunities for raffles each year.
  10. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    Kuddos to Sonya for her idea with the membership. I agree 100% with this.=D=

Let's put this to a vote and get down to what we do best...have some fun![face_dancing]

Do we want to have it the way Sonya suggested? If so let's vote.:)

11. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yey

Ney
    AboutaSith
  12. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4

Please have your vote count and post here
  13. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    Yea
    HSF
    Wifey
    Symina

Nay
    AboutaSith

Sorry, had to change the spelling. [face_whistling]
  14. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yea
    HSF
    Wifey
    Symina
    Jedifan77

Nay
    AboutaSith

15. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    In regards to membership of this group, minus the talk of any money to support the group's effort to expand it, as we're way more than a simple "social club" (Which is where Sonya's idea would benefit both types of people here)

See below

III. Membership
    Membership is open to everyone. To become a member you simply need to post on the boards. There are two classes of membership:

Active Membership: Active membership is attained when a member lives in Inland Empire, posts on the forums regularly, and attends the majority of our meetings and events. Active members have full voting privileges. Active members are also eligible to serve as officers of the club.

Honorary Membership: Honorary membership is open to anyone irregardless of geographic residence. Honorary members are allowed to post on our forums, receive our newsletter, and attend meetings and events of their choosing, yet are not eligible to vote on any club issues. Honorary membership may often be bestowed upon "celebrities" in the Star Wars community such as Star Wars actors, authors, those working for LFL etc.

Technically, we could have three types of members:

Active members...see above for description of an active member

Online - part time members (Or whatever we decide to call it)... which would cover the highlighted parts of the honorary member shown above.

And third...

Honorary members...which would truly go for what it says (Honorary). This would be "celebrities" or people we deem fit to have that title. Kyle Newman of Fanboys who we gave a honorary membership to would fit this description. People within our group or new members that rarely attend anything, shouldn't have a special title given to them.
  16. pilot_darklight Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sorry I have been missing from this discussion. I have been super busy with work('s) and haven't been posting. I vote Yea on the dues thing.
  17. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4

For all who have voted, please do so:)
  18. jangosmom Jedi Knight

star 3
  19. Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow. So I guess the fundraising idea wasn't going to work, huh? Bummer.

Hey Stuart, looks like you and I have something else in common now besides just being absent. We're now the only two against the new system. There's still a few more votes to be tallied, but somehow I get the feeling we'll still be in the minority. I don't even think there's enough for a tie.

How soon will the new measure go into effect? Could it wait until after July, please? I want to make one last video. Might as well go out with a bang.
  20. Symina Jedi Master

star 4
    Cara, nobody's saying you can't be a part of this anymore, even if you can't pay dues. If you read the posts above, you can still post and come with us on "unofficial" IEFF outings, like going to the beach, apple picking, etc., just not events like Star Wars Night, where we're there promoting the IEFF, and you may not vote in future elections. You can also still come to meetings, you may buy a new IEFF t-shirt, so there's no reason to "go out with a bang". There won't be much of a change for you at all.:)
  21. Jedi_Knight_JT Jedi Master

star 2
    I don't think I get a vote based on the description of an 'Active Member' but I thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway. I think I might be "going out".
  22. Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    So I'm part of the group, but not officially? :confused: Ooo-kay....so as long as the events are posted 'official' or 'unofficial', I'll just have to read that before I go volunteering, right? But why come to meetings if I can't vote or volunteer for an 'official' event? I can keep up with events on the boards just as easily. And wouldn't wearing an IEFF shirt promote the group, too? Unless I'm resitricted to wearing it ONLY when I'm with you guys. It's just confusing.

I didn't think anyone was kicking me out completely. It's just one thing to be in a box because of circumstances, and another to be in a box with a lock on it that opens when you put in your dues. It's like going to Disneyland for free and being able to see all the neat stuff around, but without being able to ride anything.

Oh, gee. Thanks. That makes me feel better. o_O

Hey JT! Nice to know Stuart and me aren't alone. The Three Musketeers, eh? All for one and one for all! [face_laugh]
  23. Jedi_Knight_JT Jedi Master

star 2
    [/quote]

I'm with you on this Cara. If we did go to paying dues, could we pay on a Month-to-Month basis? instead of the whole $50 at once? I could afford $4/month.
  24. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    DUES DO NOT HAVE TO BE PAID ALL AT ONCE!
    $4.00 a month or
    10 payments of $5 or
    5 payments of $10 or
    2 payments of $25 or
    whatever works for you,
    there's a year to pay the full amount.

We're not trying to weed people out because finances.

Carrie, I'd still like to to a yard sale. That way we could each bring things to sell to help cover our individual dues. Whatever you sale, goes to you.
  25. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cara, i'm going with the majority on the dues subject. My issue was heard and the most are for dues.

On the splitting the group into two groups of membership I voted nae cos I believe it will be a pain to explain to new members at events when trying to get people to join, it would be much more simple to say "We have dues that are $X per family, which can be paid monthly/qtrly/annually, your free to come along to one event to check it out first and then if you decide to join then you would pay the dues." Having worked the booth at comic book day the last three years I think it would be very off putting to potential new members to explain how we split the group up.

I also believe it wiil be a time consuming effort for someone to keep track of and enforce at "official" events and has the potential to cause all sorts of problems down the line.

Part of the selling point of this group is the togetherness of this whole group. When people dont make it to things they are missed and when they do make it they always feel at home with friends. It's what makes this group so great.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.