main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA IEFF Swag Ideas and How To Pay For Them

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jedifan77, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    As was stated before!

There will be 2 levels of membership. Membership implies that you're officially part of something. Don't you think saying that you don't want to be a part of the group because you can't go to events that you already don't go to is a little...silly? Let's not let emotions get carried away here. That's what I meant when I said nothing's going to change for you. I'm being realistic. I'm sorry if you were offended.

Edit:

Kari beat me to it.

I don't think it's that hard to explain to people. It's not that complicated, and it keeps things fair to those people who are paying dues.

Someone's interested in seeing what we're about, we tell them they're welcome to start posting, getting to know us, they can come to our next meeting or recreational outing, then if they're interested in getting fully involved, that we have dues of $4 a month that helps fund our bigger events and helps us buy supplies for the group.

2. Jedi_Knight_JT

Jedi_Knight_JT Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2006
    I could do the $4/month thing, or the ten $5 thing. But attending a majority of meetings is a problem since I can't drive & the majority of the meetings seem to be "up-the-hill".

Also, according to the definitions, I'm not a real member either since i'm unable to make it to the majority of the meetings?

3. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    I don't have time to really post much here right now and I'll be gone till the afternoon. I do not want anyone's feelings to be hurt and I am truly sorry if that has happened. I think there needs to be some more discussion on the different types of membership thing. A good point has been brought up by JT,one truthfully, that I had not thought of, (I'm sorry that I did not think of that before!) so, what happens if someone pays the dues, but can't make it to the meetings, because of lack of a car, or location or illness.? How would that have worked this last year when I was sick? I think these are some valid points, and again, I'm sorry I had not thought about that before. I'll be back on here later today. Cara, JT, Stuart, I truly hope you guys aren't offended...[:D]

4. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Stuart, even though you disagree with the dues and voiced your opinion on it, you've said you'd go along with the majority. I have a lot of respect for that. Thank you.

I'm not trying to be mean or a pain, but I don't understand some of the opposition going on here. JT, I understand your financial and transportation position. Due to that, you're unable to make most of the meetings and events. In fact, you haven't been able to make it to an event since FCBD 2008. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) That's not an issue at all! What I'm trying to point out is that you already participate in this group at the "Honorary" level. That's what works for your situation right now. Dues really aren't an issue for you.

Carrie, the same goes for you. Although, if the IEFF is participating in an event with the RL and 501st, you'll be able to attend as a costumed RL participant.

You guys are not being kicked out of the group! That's not the goal. Quite honestly, not much will change. The only things people that don't pay dues won't be able to participate in are "official IEFF" events and voting. We don't have a lot of issues to vote over, so even that's not much of an issue. All the fun trips and meetings are still open to everyone. Again, not much of anything will be directly changing for you.

I feel like I'm missing the point. What's this really about?

5. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    [:D]

That being the case, what's the real point in splitting the membership? It also sounds like 99% of people are going to pay the dues anyway, again showing no real need to split membership types.

I know the moment you try to explain to new members they will get confused about it and be put off from even looking at the forums. I know cos i've spoke to hundreds of people at the comic booth over the last three years.

You have a very small window of opportunity at the booth or any event to get people interested and having to explain two types of membership will be a pain. I know cos i've spoke to hundreds of people at the comic booth over the last three years. It may sound simple when you write it down but in that 1 or 2 minutes you have to tell people about the group you will lose them pretty quick going over membership types.

6. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Not at all Deb![:D]

The line about the majority of meetings/events has been in the charter/"guidelines arr" since the begining.

7. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006

Fact: This was never brought up to be a divisive issue, as we DID go through this at the meeting where we discussed this already. This issue has been given way more time to it than is neccasary. This is a prime example why when there's an important meeting and when folks don't show up, we end going round and round on the boards when things were discussed. The fact that this even needs to be sold here or that we're having a discussion of this length seems redundant. The Girl Scouts have monthly dues + do a cookie fund raiser but we can't as not to have people "feel" as they're being punished or excluded or missing out?

Fact: People who can pay dues aren't going to be able to go to everything either, so nobody is "missing out". This false notion that we're trying to weed people out or kick them out is plain ridiculous. We want everyone to be there as that's been promoted in every thread we have for every event we've done and ones who can't make it, are missed regardless.

I say this not to be rude but rather because I think it's funny how members that pretty much don't go to anything are the one who have issue with this. Some of you who feel excluded, don't come to the very events that we're talking about so it doesn't really effect you in the first place. You can't have it both ways here folks.

I'm curious, what about all the people who PAY BILLS and still do whatever they can for the group and will more than happily pay a few bucks a month to support the group moving forward? So we don't move forward as a group because a few of you think you're being excluded? Instead of actually doing something to come up with ONE DOLLAR a week to support the group, you want the group to somehow feel sorry for you for not working and your general lack of funds? We should then base our entire charter around that? That's not a really good model for growth or success. On top of that, why would you care about the dues as I said, when you don't come to stuff that the dues would help promote us in the first place?

8. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Debbie, I don't think you could offend anybody if you tried. You're heart is just too kind.

Things happen, cars break, finances change, illness get us. That can happen in all aspects of life. I bought tickets for Comic-Con this year. My finances have changed since then and I don't know if I'll be able to attend. I'm past the refund date so I'm out the money. That's just the chance I took when I bought the tickets.

Don't put your money in if this isn't something you believe in or support. If something happens after I pay my dues and I can't attend IEFF functions and events this coming year, at least I'll be happy that my money went toward something I believe in and I'll hope the best for those that can attend.

We can't accommodate for every single situation, regardless of how hard we try. No matter what is decided on, somebody won't be completely happy.

9. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Okay, moving on, I posted this way back on page 1 but it got lost in the shuffle:

Oh, as far as shirts go, what color do we want them to be? It affects the price. Also, do we want to get women's and men's shirts? I'd like to get a v-neck t shirt for the women. I'm not talking about a "babydoll" t-shirt, but one that isn't quite so baggy and doesn't have a crew neck. Of course if you're a woman and would prefer the men's shirt, you can do that. So, what color?

10. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I'm going to start a thread for the shirts.

11. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I already agreed to the dues, as have most others.

There really should have been a full agenda issued beforehand so people actually had prior notice of what was actually going to be discussed. All that was said was it was voting time and some important things were going to be discussed. The reality is not everyone can make meetings/events all the time and it should not be held against them.

When there are important things to discuss, arrangements should be made so ALL members can participate in the discussion.

Kicking/weeding people out? Cara got confused about it and it got cleared up in the next post.

Every single member of this group has at one point or another not been able to make it to events/meetings at some point for one reason or another. That's life, it shouldn't be a dig deal. The fact that some people are having a go at others for this is hypocritical.

Just because some people have been busy and couldn't make it to some past events/meetings does not mean that will not change and that they should have no say in the future of their group.

12. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    Okay folks it is done. This thread is now going to be closed, as in we've all given our thoughts on this issue and we've voted. That said, our discussion of this is done and as your Leader of this fine group of people, we are having dues to support the advancement of this organization. Thank you all for your valued opinions.

Dues are $50 per year. You can pay monthly, quarterly, yearly. This will start as of July 2009 and will extend through July 2010. How and where to send your dues to follow.

Please follow the thread on the IEFF Charter for the membership guideline changes. When this is done, you'll have a chance to see them and vote.

13. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    I wanted to thank all of you who joined in on the conversation here, as with all great endeavors and organizations, topics come up from time to time that require a good debate...to which we had a really good one here.

One thing to remember is that nothing is personal when expressing different view points and we should never make it so. Lively and spirited debate is good and is sometimes needed with big ideas. Let me state that all is well within the IEFF! You all can be assured of that. I am so very proud to know each of you and call you my brothers + sisters in fandom!

THE IEFF ROCKS!!![:D] =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.