main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If a PCI card needs a 250W power supply...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Yuuzhanvong1000, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuuzhanvong1000

Yuuzhanvong1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    I am looking at 128MB PCI graphics cards. All of them say you need a 250W power subbly. Does that mean you need a special wire to plug into the card (if so PLEASE give me a picture), or is it just the thing you plug into the outlet?

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    You would plug the card in with a Molex Connector. Molex Connectors are standard on every power supply. They're usually semi-clear plastic and have four holes in then that plug into four pins on a hard drive, CD-ROM, or other computer things. You can look at the Y-Adaptor below to get an idea of it.

If your power supply happens to be out of these Molex Connectors (they're all plugged into something), you can buy a Y-Cable which simply splits one molex connector you have into two.

They're cheap. $2 even. You can buy them from many places, such as here. I've got a ton of them myself and could send one to you for whatever shipping costs me.

¤Night

3. Yuuzhanvong1000

Yuuzhanvong1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Thanks, I ahve one of those, but O only thought they wer for HDDs and stuff like that, not cards. Now I'm OK. By the way, my system only has 2 RAM slots, one has 256, the other is open. If installed a 512 in the second slot and booted up the system with 768 (so software would install it). Could I then shut down the system, remove the 256, and put in another 512?

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    It probably means your PC needs a minimum of a 250 W power source.

Typically PCI cards draw power from the motherboard, which is connected to the power supply.

5. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Kevin could be right. You might not have to plug the actual card in. Some higher end cards do, my Video and Sound cards both need to be plugged in with a molex, but many cards do not.

And yes, in reference to the RAM, you could do that, but make sure you buy the type of RAM you need. RAM comes in many different speeds, sizes and types.

¤Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.