main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "If Anakin brought balance"... dark side users in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Keeper_of_Swords, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Lor San Tekka said there is no balance without the Jedi. Therefor the Force is out of balance again.

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well said. Too bad this wasn't explained in the films, though.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    nope. luke is a jedi remember and he is still around. this is why he is hiding. if they find him they will kill him and then the force will be out of balance.

Jedi Merkurian and Toonimator like this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I see it differently: the force is out of balance because the last Jedi is out of order

Darth Basin likes this.
  5. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
  6. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    How much of the Galaxy was under the Republic and Empire? Wesley Snipes in TNG said their quadrant was 80% explored. I wonder about the GFFA. The Galaxy map possibly make it look like only the small Unknown Space and Wild Space were not in the Empire's clutches. Well, and the Deep Core is too dangerous, though in the EU Bane and Sidious had bases there. The rest of the Galaxy may be represented, but that doesn't mean every swath of space was under the jurisdiction of the pre Clone Wars Republic and if the Empire.

7. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    wesley snipes?

8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Finn's father. It's true, all of it!

9. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    TNG.

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    the next generation had wesley snipes on it? you sure about that?

11. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I don't remember Blade on Enterprise D!!!!!!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

[​IMG]

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Is the balance towards the Darkness at that moment? Yes. It definitely is going that way. To say though it's totally out of balance to the Dark Side as before doesn't track with the events of the saga as a whole

The Force was absolutely, distinctly and without question out of balance as started by the Sith in the PT.

This started in TPM first with the Sith's return, the growing of the Dark Side, the shroud of darkness falling with the Clone Wars and continued on from then through to ROTS when with the destruction of the Jedi Order the Force was left in Darkness.

As per the prophecy the Chosen One would destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force. Which is what happened.

So the Force is once again in balance but this is no permanent fix for all time.What it does is level the playing field.

To maintain that balance the Jedi are needed. The Chosen One's son, Luke is to recreate the Jedi Order to maintain that balance which his father Anakin restored.

That is the distinction. Out of balance is as we saw in I-VI. The slide to the Dark Side and the Force in such a state that no one save the Chosen One created by the Force itself through the midi-chlorians could right it. The Sith created this imbalance.

What we have in VII is the balance of the Force tipping to the Dark Side but not left in darkness.

It's a fine distinction of course. Was the Force "out of balance" to the Light Side for 20 odd years after ROTJ with the Sith gone and relative peace before the rise of the First Order?

Was the Force "out of balance" to the Light Side for 1000 odd years after the last defeat of the Sith?

In fact there is no reference to the last time the Force was out of balance or even if it was the last time the Sith were terrorizing the galaxy. The Jedi were around at that time so it would seem not.

It would seem to indicate that there is some overall connection between the existence and thriving of the Jedi Order and any Dark Side faction be it the Sith or any other individual or group to the Force being in balance.

The Force might go back and forth between Light and Dark but to go completely to the Dark Side takes extraordinary events as seen where the Jedi themselves are used to feed the Dark Side and the galaxy is in control of the Sith. In TFA the few Jedi Luke had were simply destroyed and the First Order is nowhere near the power of the Empire.

The thing that has to be gotten over is that balance is somehow this perfect constant thing that happens moment to moment.

If the balance goes to the Dark for a few decades or a thousand years but then turns around to the Light then over time it balances out.

With the Sith there was no balance. It was going to be Darkness for all time unless something was done. This is in fact what happened.

14. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015

Oops! Wesley Crusher!

15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    took you long enough ha ha!

16. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Sorry. Really hungover.

Hey! Is posting about Star Trek in this forum banable? They're the Other Guys!

17. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    To quote kermit the frog

You have to unlearn what you have learnt.

If you subscribe to the idea that the ST will do-away with many parts of the PT, then the whole balance to the force and the whole Anakin-chosen one story arc may be a thing of the past.

The key line is the first words spoken in TFA.

IMHO, TFA showed that after ROTJ:

a) Luke failed (as a jedi, as a teacher, as an uncle, as a soldier)

b) Leia failed (to become jedi, as a politician, as a soldier, as a mother, as a wife)

c) Han failed (as a father, as a husband, as a leader, as a soldier, as a smuggler, as a pirate)

d) Anakin, Obi-wan, Yoda failed (as teachers to Luke, to guide Luke, to prevent Ben's turn)

State of the galaxy is chaotic to say the least. It's probably worse than what it was since the clone wars.

Summary the "heroes" of the OT all failed miserably to make things better than they were.

Now, things may change after the next movies but I doubt it. EP VIII is supposed to be the one where the "heroes" (Rey, Finn, Poe) will get their behinds kicked and they will suffer losses. So no "balance" theme happening as things will get even worse the next one. It's not until EPIX that we may get some clarity as to if the OT actually accomplished anything.

cerealbox likes this.
  18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  19. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    I really don't think this is accurate. In what way?

20. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014

This reminds me of Maz Kanata's line about the Sith, the Empire, and the First Order.

21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Totally off topic. But I like how you shortened Episode IX to EPIX. That's what I'm going to call it now.

22. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

Galaxy status during The Clone Wars.

- You have Separatists trying to break free from the Republic and form their own Republic (we know it's a diversion to grant even more power for Palps but yet), you have the Sith (Dooku) leading the Separatists, you have the Jedi and Clones doing Palps dirty work. There is war and destruction and the general public are caught in the middle.

Galaxy status during TFA

- You have the First Order trying to resurrect the 25 years defunct Evil Galactic Empire (EGE), they battle the New Republic, then you have the Resistance fighting the First Order also, but not for the New Republic per-se but for their own goals. There is war and destruction and the general public is caught in the middle.

So I ask, is this situation better or worse than The Clone Wars.

And as far as the situation during the OT, the Rebel Alliance was a "small band of freedom fighters" having what I would call some "minor scrimmages" with the EGE. Their biggest battles were the attach on DS1 and DS2 and these were carried out in space without the general public getting caught in the middle.

24. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    There was the nucanon mid-rim invasions by the Rebel Alliance. Many lives lost.

25. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    The scale of the Clone Wars was infinitely bigger & involved many more planets being at war than with the FO. By quite a large margin I would believe. I'm still reading Bloodline so maybe I'm missing something for the time being.

THE OT didn't involve the general public getting caught in the middle you say? I'm sure the countless innocent lives that were lost when Alderaan was blown up would probably disagree.

So at the moment, in VII, I still don't think you can fairly equate the state of the galaxy to the Clone Wars era.