main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Anakin had been taken by the Jedi at birth, would he still have turned to the dark side?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Blur, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find any posts on this, so here it goes:

As most SW fans know, Jedi are "discovered" and taken from their family/parents at birth so they will not form emotional ties to family members. They are not allowed to marry for the same reason. It seems like they are also discouraged from forming emotional attachments to anyone else....

In EP I, Yoda, Mace Windu, and the rest of the Jedi Council were hesitant about training Anakin because he was already 9 years old (or 10), and had formed a deep emotional attachment to his mother. Later, he formed an emotional attachment with Padme, especially after marrying her. As we saw in Episodes II and III, these attachments to his mother and later to Padme led to his turning towards the dark side.

If Anakin had been discovered by the Jedi and taken from his mother at his birth, like the other Jedi, would he have still turned to the dark side? He would not have had an emotional attachment to his mother. However, he still may have wanted to marry a woman (maybe not Padme). What does everyone think?

2. Darth_Ares-Lido

Darth_Ares-Lido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
  3. classified

classified Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    The whole point was that he turned to the darkside for the fear of loosing attachments.attachments that he made before training. if training started at a young age, he wouldnt have gone bad

4. RogueJediOutcast

RogueJediOutcast Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2005
    Yes he would of. It was his destany. Obi-Wan sead in the cartoon clone wars "We create our destany by our actions." And if he was he would pass all of the other jedi because of his power. Then he would of had a "lust for power" as he did near the end of ROTS. Aside from that he was created by force by Palpatine. And somehow Palpatine would of turned him to the Dark Side some other way because chances are he probly would of never would of met Padme. So yeah he would of turned to the dark side because his fate was unavoidable. I have medatated on this before.

5. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    One things Lucas mentions either in the DVD commentary or some interview was that when Qui-Gon died, it really crushed Anakin's emotions. Whether that started the ball rolling for his fear and anger, not sure. I do wish it was depicted more. We only really see Anakin sad at the funeral for a few brief moments.

Either way, it was Anakin's first loss of someone he cared about.

6. JediofJade

JediofJade Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 1999
    I've always believed that fulfilling his destiny did not require Anakin to turn to the Dark Side. He could have killed Palpatine and remained a Jedi, but well...I guess he got sidetracked.

And it's very possible that, had Anakin been trained from birth, he might not have turned. "Always in motion, the future is." Always in motion, then, are destinies and the way they are fulfilled.

Man, I love Yoda.

7. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    I agree with Blur, he wouldn't have turned to the darkside if he had been taken from his mother at an earlier age, and had no attachments!

8. Princess_Amidala

Princess_Amidala Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    If he had been taken away from his mother at birth then i guess he would not of turned but even if he had been taken away when he was only 5 weeks old there would be a chance of emotion because after 5 weeks he would of got attached to his mother and would have strong feelings for her.I think the jedi did not expect a new jedi would be born as a slave especially on Tatooine so they wasnt looking for him
    so there would of been a strong chance they would not
    of found him till it was to late.

Yoda probably knew there was a change in the force but
    did not know where,when or how.Once he saw Anakin he knew that it was him who had changed the force.To me Yoda wanted to train him but he suspected that there would be complications with his training,his emotions,
    and his thoughts.The only reason they trained him is because deep down he knew that if it was not him who would fullfill the prophecy it would be someone close
    to him,family or someone he trains.

9. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    I think he would of not became a sith "If he were born into the Republic" QGJ- TPM

Good Stuff

10. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    But if were just a "regular" Jedi, how do we know that he would have formed a closer relationship with Palpatine? He needed his relationship with Palpy (to prevent the Supreme Chacellor's death) for Palps to reveal the story of Darth Plagis the Wise to him. He needed to be an "abnormal" Jedi to know how to love, and how to be in a relationship.

He, even if concieved by the Living Force, needed what he lived through in order to destory the Sith.

11. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    If Anakin was born in the Republic he would of definitely had a different route to his destiny. He would still eventually kill the Sith off, but it would have been a much different road.

12. Jedi-freek

Jedi-freek Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    I think he wouldn't because he wouldn't know his mom and have fear and hate because he wouldn't know her

13. and

and Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    It was his destiny.

14. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    I think he could have still fallen if one of his friends had been in danger. He would still be fiercely loyal.

15. Jedi-LaserTricks

Jedi-LaserTricks Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2005
    I think, things would be different if he was chosen by birth. Only thing keeping him from turning to the dark side then, would be his superhigh midichlorians level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.