main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Anakin lost midichlorians when losing his limbs then...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthDischarge, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDischarge

DarthDischarge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2004
    Where did they go? do midiclorians die or were they transfered to Kenobi or maybe thats why Sidious touches his head it absorb them? This makes Sids really have an edge in the future and is why Vader later must obey his master?

Otherwise the midi's just kind of float away never to be used again?

2. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    They burned up in the limbs that were lost.

3. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    They died just like every other cell in a severed limb.

4. DarthDischarge

DarthDischarge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2004
    So midis can be destroyed then?

5. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

Midichlorians are not a power source. They're an indicator of someone's ability to use the force.

If body mass & total number of midichlorians in the body = most power, then Yoda would not be the strongest Jedi in the force.

Someone's "midichlorian count" is the number of midichlorians in each cell. It's the concentration of them in a cell. It's not the count in a whole person's body. In Episode 1, when Obi saw 20,000+ midichlorians in Anakin, it was his blood sample. He didn't scan his whole body. It's the number in each cell, not the whole body. And, it's not the power source. It just indicates potential with the force.

6. Droid

Droid Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2000
    A Jedi / Sith losing midiclorians in a severed limb would be no different than a mammal losing red blood cells in the same limb. The cells / midis would die and therefore be worthless within minutes after being separated from their host. That's why the Jedi didn't rush to salvage Darth Maul's body at the end of Phantom Menace, or better yet why the clones in the arena at the end of Attack of the Clones didn't become force sensitive by feasting on the remains of the dead Jedi.

7. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    If body mass & total number of midichlorians in the body = most power, then Yoda would not be the strongest Jedi in the force.

But hes not, Anakin had a higher midi count.

or better yet why the clones in the arena at the end of Attack of the Clones didn't become force sensitive by feasting on the remains of the dead Jedi.

[Homer Simpson voice] Ummmmmmm, fried dead Jedi, Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh [/Homer Simpson voice] :p

8. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    This is exactely why I hate the midichlorian debacle. Anakin wouldn't be less powerful after losing limbs. He'd STILL have the same concentration of midichlorians in his cell, there are just fewer cells. The midichlorian part of the PT is the only gaping plot hole that I do no like.

Andy

9. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    aaahh but thats exactly why your okay with it. It doesnt make him weaker because they arent the source de la force.

"the communicate the will of the force" etc etc..... they're an indicator of an individuals force strength - but this isnt necessarily an absolute...

10. FifthofObi

FifthofObi Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2004
    Palpatine may have sucked the living midiclorions from anakins stubs. Obi Wan didnt, he only took his lightsaber

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The more you have, the stronger the connection. The less you have, the weaker the connection. Anakin had far fewer because he was burned up and had four body parts removed. He can still use the Force, just not to the same degree as he did before.

12. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    They specifically say "Concentration" in TPM. Concentration has nothing to do with body mass and size. His remaining cells still would have the same concentration of midichlorians.

Carnage

13. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    But not to the degree where Anakin could reach his full potential because now that he's reduced to being a cybernetic amputee, his concentration is now limited because he's too injured to tap into his full strength.

14. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

Carnage04, you are absolutely correct.

Sorry, Sinister... I think we have you beat on this one.

15. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Carnage04, you are absolutely correct.

Sorry, Sinister... I think we have you beat on this one.

Not really. Lucas has said his powers were diminished because of the lost limbs. Lucas outranks Yoda. :p

16. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    ha ha ha brilliant.

17. DarthGroznii

DarthGroznii Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    Anakin did lose midichlorians by losing body mass, but as Yoda shows, that's not everything. More importantly, he lost mobility, agility and the ability to breathe unaided. That's what left him weakened more than anything else.

18. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001

They went no where, Anakin still has the same concentration, he is weaker because of the damage to his body. He can not use the lightning like Sidious or Dooku can because his arms and hands can no longer conduct the energy from his body to produce it. He is simply damaged goods after ROTS and Sidious wants an undamaged Skywalker, which is why he wanted Luke.

As to why Anakin must obey his master, I imagine that Sidious could simply kill him if he didn't or just step over and flip that red switch on his control panel. :D

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    "We also get into this thing of what are Midichlorians, how they work which advances a little bit of the story of the Force, and how does the Force work, how we come to know the Force which is part of Anakin?s training in learning to become a Jedi. And take the idea of the Force one step further. The Midchlorians are kind of a side issue. Not in a sort of spiritual, metaphysical part of the Force, but the more practical, biological, physical part of the Force, or how we come to know the Force, which has to do really with the genetics of why some people have more in tune to the Force than others."

--George Lucas, Star Wars-The Phantom Menace: The Annotated Screenplays, 1999.

"They (Midichlorians) also, in their own way, communicate with the Force itself. The more you have, the more your cells are able to speak intuitively to the Force itself and use the powers of the Force."

--George Lucas, Feburary 2005 issue of Vanity Fair, page 117.

"Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful, but he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there?s not that much of him left. So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he?s maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor."

--George Lucas, quoted in J. Windolf, ?Star Wars: The Last Battle,? Vanity Fair, 2005

I'm just quoting what Lucas said. His injuries have weakened him. A good part of his power is gone and as it appears, is connected to the loss of limbs. I know that some people find it hard to believe, but unlike Yoda who is small, Anakin is less than whole. It seems that one who is whole is stronger than one who is less than whole. He's still strong for a Sith Lord, but he's not on par with what he should be. The limbs and fire have diminished him.

20. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

I know this whole Midichlorian thing has been beaten to death, and I don't pretend to have much new to add. It is one of the few things I find unsatisfying about the discussion of the Force -- but that is because of MY preconceptions. At one point (after the first three movies), I believed ANYONE could become more sensitive to the Force, more attuned to it, but only a very very very few could commune with it, be in tune with it, to the extent that the Jedi could... they were, in my mind, sort of religious/philosophical "masters", enlightened far beyond the "average Joe". What led them to be more attuned? I guess I thought they were ... wiser... on some level. Not a great definition, I grant you. But I saw it as a more mental/spiritual thing than anything else.

Of course, that does present SOME problems. How could Luke, so quickly, become as skilled as he "needed to" for the story to progress? Why was Anakin able to rise so quickly, to become so powerful? Especially as he hardly seems to have much of a philosophical bent?

So, by creating this physical link, this sort of measurable "predisposition" to be in tune with the Force, GL addressed a LOT. It also gave him a handy way to ...sorta... address why Vader/Anakin was less powerful than PRE-Vader Anakin. But I totally agree that when you start to analyze it in depth..it gets problematic. Concentration of Midis is one thing. Total AMOUNT of Midis is another. Anakin's Midi concentration wouldn't be diminished by the loss of limbs, but his total AMOUNT of Midis would. And round and round we go...*S*

Shadow

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Thank you for that last part. Each cell still has the same amount, but the total number of cells are fewer than before.

22. alansmithee85

alansmithee85 Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2005
    Actually limbless adult Anakin has a similar number of total cells as whole little whole 9 year-old Anakin does, so no go Sinister. ?A good part of his power is gone and as it appears, is connected to the loss of limbs.? And how do we explain that, other than being like a Mullah with the Koran and touting it simply because it?s the word? Maybe all the midichlorians are in your extremities, like starfish with undifferentiated cells. But wait, the movies have already said that they?re in every cell, for life to exist. What lengths can you go to try and rationalize it? I know some people find it hard to believe, most of all you, but Lucas can be wrong as any director can, even about their own creation, and he probably should have never said this lost limbs equal lost Force line. Not only is it silly DragonBallZ-ish in its power quantifying, it doesn?t cohere with the previous Lucas-established logic of midichlorians. And thank God, it isn?t said anywhere in the films. Let the comments die in magazines and DVD extras.

23. Darth_BamBam

Darth_BamBam Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    And??....I don't understand your point. It doesn't matter how many cells you have. Chopped up Anakin still has a) more cell's the Yoda does - with all his limbs, and b) more MC's per each one of those remaining cell's then Yoda.

How many times are you going to make us quote "size matters not". The whole, 'without all his limbs, he's much weaker in the force', is simply a plot hole GL had to come up with to defend why Anakin did not try to overthrown Palpatine in their 23 years together.

24. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Also his metallic limbs and other body parts could have absorbed and deflected the force powers. :D Anything is possible with Star Wars physics. :p

25. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    good midiclorians never die, they just fade away... and then become force ghosts[face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.