main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If anybody's interested.........

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    30. Ivan Vasilievich: Back to the Future (1973)

WTF. Only 3977 votes, compared to ET's 118,908 or TDTESS's 37,144.

2. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    29. The Truman Show (1998)

How is this on a Sci-Fi list? I like some jim carey movies, but this has never made me want to add it to the queue. Is it worth it? Better than ET, TDTESS or Body Snatchers? I think not.

3. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    28. Frankenstein (1931)

I've only seen bits and pieces of this (bad pun intended). Adding this to the queue now. Bonus!!! The DVD has this and The Bride of Frankenstein.

4. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    27. X-Men: First Class (2011)

OK, with this one, I am raising the BS flag on IMDB's ranking system. Sure, it might have a lot of reviews, and those must be generally positive. But how can a movie made this year beat out classic movies that have stood the test of time? I'm not sure what the right balance is for scoring metrics is, but there should be some kind of balancing, vs. just straight review rankings.

I'll watch this when it hits DVD.... but I can't imagine it is better than some other movies that it is ranked above.

5. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    26. Star Trek (2009)

Better than the Wrath of Khan? Seriously? I don't even know if I would put it above ST VI, or IV.

While it is a good reboot, it has more plot holes than a swiss cheese sandwich. It is a visual feast, other than the OVER USE OF FRAKKING LENS FLARES!!!! BTW, can I mention again how much I HATE the OVER USE OF FRAKKING LENS FLARES!!!! WTF, JJ. they destroy the movie.

6. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    25. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Oh look, more anime. I'll venture a guess that it isn't better than ET.

7. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    24. Stalker (1979)

Wow, this looks like a really obscure movie.

8. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    23. Avatar (2009)

Hmmm... does it deserve this high of a ranking? I think that once the hype wears off, it will drop a bit. I did enjoy it. It looked great in 3-D. But considering that the story just a mix of Dances With Blue Smurfy Wolves in Fern Gully, I think it isn't that good.

I think this will be more of a flash in the pan type of movie. Years later, it will be forgotten, while far better films will stand the test of time.

9. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    22. V for Vendetta (2006)

I have not seen this, so I added it to the queue. We'll see if it's any good.

10. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    21. Twelve Monkeys (1995)

I liked this. It is good, but not that good.

11. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    20. The War Game (1965)

Note: This is NOT Wargames, the Matthew Broderick movie that we have all seen. This is a BBC docu-drama that received a whopping 2054 votes in IMDB.

This is an interesting bit of trivia:

Despite having been produced by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), the film was banned from television broadcast. The official reason was for violence and depiction of human suffering, but others hinted that it may have been because it went against the official government line concerning survivability of nuclear attack. While the ban forbade television broadcast, it did not forbid cinematic distribution. Because of this loophole, the film was given wide release in theatres, and won four major film awards.

This is available to instant view on Netflix Streaming. I added it, we'll see if it's good. It seems like the premise of The Day After, which was a pretty chilling look at the aftermat of Global Thermonuclear War. (Shall We Play a Game?)

12. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    19. The Terminator (1984)

I think this is worthy of a top 20 ranking. As much as I like T2, I think the first one is a far better film.

13. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    18. The Thing (1982)

Good movie, scary movie. Top 20? I think not.

14. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    17. District 9 (2009)

Top 20? Seriously, people? I mean... seriously? This lacks replayability --it's a good movie, well done it a lot of ways. But I don't know if I could put it in the top 50, let alone top 20.

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    16. Donnie Darko (2001)

Is this really Sci Fi? I have never seen it, but the premise does not look like a good movie --to me, at least. rank it high if you want --for a drama. For sci fi? Ha. Not even top 100.

16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    15. Blade Runner (1982)

This one absolutely deserves to be in the top 20. Maybe even top 10. Groundbreaking, visually spectacular, and an amazing soundtrack. Plus it has Harrison Ford in one of his best roles.

17. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    14. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

Ah, our first SW movie to hit this list. I don't mind the placement of this, many above it are better standalone movies.

18. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    13. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Great movie. Another groundbreaker. I liked 2010 better --it seemed to be less slow, but this is a classic. Good ranking.

19. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    12. Metropolis (1927)

Is that C-3PO on the cover? I just added this to the queue. Time to actually watch it and see if it is any good.

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    11. Back to the Future (1985)

McFly? Is this a Sci Fi movie? I suppose so. Sorta, I mean, it does have a time travelling Delorean, so that's something. If it is SF, I don't think it deserves as high of a rank, even if I do like the movie.

21. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    10. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Sci Fi? Huh? Top 10? WTF? For real?

22. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    9. Aliens (1986)

Top 10? For sure. Personally, I put this as the #1 standalone Sci Fi movie of all time. It has almost everything you could ever want: bad-@$$ed aliens, bad(der?)-@$$ed Space Marines, Ripley, smarmy corporate types who will do anything for a buck (and get what's coming to him), cyborgs, drop ships, power armor (sorta), and some of the best quoteable quote lines from any single movie, and the best in any Sci Fi movie.

All the rest of the Aliens and AVP movies SHOULD have been based on this story line and character types. You could make a full series just on the Colonial Marines. Even if it didn't have Xenomorphs, these bad-@$$ Marines deserve a LOT more screen time. (And I still want to make that costume. It rocks.)

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

[face_devil]

23. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    8. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Never seen it, so I added it to the Instant queue.

24. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    7. WALL·E (2008)

Absolutely cute, brilliant movie. Being Disney/Pixar, I have a difficult time imagining that this fits in the SF catagory, even though the themes of the movie are pure SF. Something about the Disney/Pixar thing that puts it in its own catagory. That doesn't mean I don't like it, it's a great flick, one of D/P's best. But does it belong in the top 10 SF movies?

25. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    6. Alien (1979)

I don't think I have ever watched this all the way through. I saw bits of this on cable as a kid, and it scared the crap out of me. So much that I never watched it all the way through. One of these days, I will watch the whole thing. But from what I have seen of this, Aliens is a better movie.